PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE Tried CARVIN amps?

street music
March 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
They have one on sale right now that has caught my eyes:D
They also have a guitar that I'm strongly looking at.
Any experiences with CARVIN please relate??:beer:

just strum
March 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I believe the birthday boy, Mudcat, has one or two or at least he did have.

street music
March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks Strum, maybe when he gets past the hangover he'll post.

just strum
March 22nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I tried a search and I only see him referring to taking his Robot LP and plugging it in to his Carvin amp set at 11.

hubberjub
March 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
I've heard good things about Carvin amps. I haven't used them though. I did own one of their guitars. It was a DC-727 seven string. It was a beautifully built instrument and was just a nice guitar all around. I sold it to justify buying my Modulus. That's the last time I try to justify anything I do.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/Moved%20On/DSCN0031.jpg

mrmudcat
March 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
They make great stuff!!! I have a full stack from the 80's ,only have change tubes on this !!!!! Also their guitars are freaking awesome !!!!!:master:(Ive got a few !!)

street music
March 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks Mudcat & Hubber. I'm trying to make a decision , it's so hard to decide when you can't put your hands on the items.

mrmudcat
March 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Well they dont skimp on material and prices are nice.These days you can get different tolex cover!!!!

Which amp are ya after!????

street music
March 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Mudcat , I was looking the SX200 it seems like it could be a bit too much but if I ever wanted to sell it, I think that I could have better luck with it than the SX100. I know I don't need 100 W in the house is my draw back.

mrmudcat
March 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Only can say a few things on the s.s. amps.

Some like the sounds some dont:whatever:

tunghaichuan
March 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Mudcat , I was looking the SX200 it seems like it could be a bit too much but if I ever wanted to sell it, I think that I could have better luck with it than the SX100. I know I don't need 100 W in the house is my draw back.

The nice thing about SS amps is that they don't sound better as you crank them up as a general rule. In fact you don't usually want to push the output transistors to distortion as this sounds terrible, IMHO. For a solid state amp you want a lot of headroom as the tone is usually generated by the preamp.

The great thing about Carvin is that they have a 10 day return policy. If you buy their gear and hate it, you're only out shipping (both ways, but I look at it as a charge for getting to try something out.)

Only can say a few things on the s.s. amps.

Some like the sounds some dont:whatever:

True for any amp. Or guitar for that matter.

I've been jonsing for an SX-300 head and 4x12" cab.

tung

street music
March 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
This is the worst case of indecision that I've had in a long time. If it was just easy I guess that would remove the fun. My buddy has a custom Carvin H_H that I really like and they have a Carvin amp that is 30 years old that is awesome but the new stuff I don't know about. But like you say , it only cost shipping to try it.We will see, if I go with a Telecaster I might still have money for the amp?? Or I could just buy a BOLT.

schenkadere
March 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I had a Carvin XV112...basically the same as the X100B. It was from about 1990 and had the fuzzy covering. Nice amp...decent cleans, not a very high gain amp. Mine had the Carvin British 100W 12" speaker. Overall a good value if you can find one on eBay.