PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question or Just Seeking Help

just strum
March 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I've made my share of stupid posts, so you can file this one under stupid question (no, it's not about strings).

I was watching this clip I posted and was curious on how one goes about improving the coordination/timing between the picking hand and the fretting hand?

If you watch this clip from the other thread, the lessons towards the end of 2 and all of 3 and 4 give great examples of what I am referring to.

I've been practicing scales and trying to get them arranged into something that sounds like I know what I am doing, but the timing tends to be off. So besides the obvious practice advice, are there any specifics one can recommend?

I love this clip and several others

dBuMsHB9FRc

Spudman
March 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I hate to say it but I think it mainly comes from playing a lot. After so many hours of laying on the line both hands get very in sync and the brain does a subtle adaptation as well.

You can start by emulating the technique in the video and then use that technique to play songs that you are really familiar with already. Ones that don't require much thought. Then as you use that technique start thinking about exactly what your fingers are doing. Analyze it. Then keep using that technique for a while then put it away. Pull it out from time to time and you'll be able to experience what you've retained. Analyze that and work on the things you've forgotten or want to add. Play that way a lot - then put it away. Repeat again and again. Eventually you'll absorb plenty. But it's still going to come down to playing a lot and experimenting. Play play play!

Rocket
March 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I know I've given you this advice before Strum...
Don't try to duplicate someone else's style exactly as you'll only end up defeating yourself mentally and it will usually end up sounding second rate, at best.

Develop your own style based on your brain's interpretation of someone's style, (if you wish,) or develop your own "unique" style that someone might try to emulate in the future.

It's the individualism that makes it an art!

Robert
March 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
It's really just about practice, practice and practice. Try and play many different styles and at different tempos. Variation is important, and always focusing on accuracy, not speed. Speed can come later once accuracy is there.

Jimi75
March 23rd, 2009, 03:40 AM
Slow down that is very important. At the point where you feel you have to push hard to get that or this lick played you are playing it too fast for your current speed/ability. Combining chords with scales and licks is a thing that comes naturally when you give yourself the time (not time general only, but playing slowly) so that you brain/mind has the chance to save the information porperly. Most of the Setzer stuff is about good synchronization of the left and right hand. I practiced a lot of these typical Rockabilly things about 2 years ago. One of the secrets is to synchronize the playing of Octaves with the thum and index/middel or even ring finger.
Step 1:
For e.g. low e string with the thumb and e played on the d-string fretted 2nd fret with the middel finger, pick is held by the index finger. Then move this patter to a for example by fretting a on the low e-string on the 5th fret and "a" on the 7th fret of the d-string. Always practice with a metronome at very littel speed until you play this octave "automatical".
Step 2:
If you feel completely safe with this (AGAIN! Give yourself time don't think you are perfect after two days ;-) ) the apply the ring finger of your right hand to play the e on the high e string with it. Play low e-string and then 2nd fret d-string and low e string together. Do the same with the a-chord in firfth fret, of course you play barré here and ply the high e-string frettet on the fifth string.
Step 3:
Play step two low e --> fretted e d-string 2nd fret plus high e-string --> NOW back to low e string --> high e-string --> b-string with the middle finger

I hope this was what you were looking for. Apply this picking example for barré chords, the rest will follow naturally.

Good luck!

Jimi75

sumitomo
March 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Ya know Jimi I needed to hear that (slow down)but the thing with me is well it dosen't sound good (some things) slow but I know that practice over and over it will pick up and it will make learning other licks easier also.So thanks.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
March 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Great thoughts and post Jimi. Thanks!

Jimi75
March 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Friends,

I'm giving my left hand a break to recover properly, but as soon as I will be playing again I will put up a short video for you guys.

@Sumi:
Sure it sounds different when playing slow, maybe it even doesn't sound good, but this is the basic that you have to learn before going on with similar and more difficult rockabilly pickings. Practice it at least for a time period of 10 days intensively, contentrated and at very low pace and you will see a result very soon.

@SVL:
Thank you very much! :)

tyoc
March 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
oh I see practice slow!, yeah always is a problem when you try to do it at the same speed and it doesn't sound good.

Suguestions, try to do other chords and rhytms (perhaps more easy, or similar) you know "take a break and sharp the ax before continue cutting trees".

By the way, I have problems with "la grange" I can do a little the sound, but I use my left hand. I hit the chords with right hand and then take of my left hand (and perhaps I should use a finger instead for mute the strings)... but it doesn't sound like the song.

Im doing other things, "for let the thing come", perhaps more practice of the song later, or perhaps practicing others will help me a little indirectly ;).

What I suguest is do other tihngs, sometimes when you try so hard one thing you feel bad, but if you have other things perhaps you can advance in the others and then come back.

just strum
March 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hey, thanks folks. Rather than send individual responses to your advise, let me say a couple fo things.

Practice, patients, repetitive muscle memory, and slowing it down are all things that I am aware of and try to follow. I will admit Jimi's reminder to slow down is one that I forget to do in the initial stages of learning something new.

I am not trying to imitate someones style (although the advise was well received the first time). What I am trying to learn or develop is the timing coordination between the left and right hand. No argument, all the advise given plays a part in that development, but I just seem to be missing something.

So, basically all I am looking for are tips to develop that timing. I guess that is what you provided, so it is on to practice, patients, and sloowwwwwww.

Thanks guys.

Blaze
March 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
A little something to help get licks extract form Youtube guitar lesson :

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10946

just strum
March 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ok, now that I am back at home I just wanted to say thanks - your suggestions and messages were received loud and clear.

kiteman
March 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Repetitions mate repetitions. :)

just strum
March 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I received some good advise from some fretters via PM's. One that was presented as advice or suggestion, but actually ended up being a reminder - I wasn't anchoring the heel of my hand to the bridge or finders to the pick guard (both techniques used by people). I got sloppy in my playing and was letting my hand flow freely while playing notes and it was slowing me down and making me hit the wrong strings.

Something so simple, but makes a world of difference.

Thanks to Robert for that. Okay, he did suggest more expensive picks too, but I will go with the free advice.;)

Blaze
March 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I received some good advise from some fretters via PM's. One that was presented as advice or suggestion, but actually ended up being a reminder - I wasn't anchoring the heel of my hand to the bridge or finders to the pick guard (both techniques used by people). I got sloppy in my playing and was letting my hand flow freely while playing notes and it was slowing me down and making me hit the wrong strings.

Something so simple, but makes a world of difference.

Thanks to Robert for that. Okay, he did suggest more expensive picks too, but I will go with the free advice.;)

You know some guitar are so good , they re almost playin by themselves..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_ES-335

just strum
March 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
You know some guitar are so good , they re almost playin by themselves..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_ES-335

you are an evil man.

bigoldron
March 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hey, thanks folks. Rather than send individual responses to your advise, let me say a couple fo things.

Practice, patients, repetitive muscle memory, and slowing it down are all things that I am aware of and try to follow. I will admit Jimi's reminder to slow down is one that I forget to do in the initial stages of learning something new.

I am not trying to imitate someones style (although the advise was well received the first time). What I am trying to learn or develop is the timing coordination between the left and right hand. No argument, all the advise given plays a part in that development, but I just seem to be missing something.

So, basically all I am looking for are tips to develop that timing. I guess that is what you provided, so it is on to practice, patients, and sloowwwwwww.

Thanks guys.

I hate to say this, Mark, but you sound like me. I think it's a combination of age (don't want to admit that) and lack of coordination (OK, so I'm just downright GOOFY at times). I know my dexterity is not what it was 10 or even 5 years ago. Any dexterity and muscle memory skills, i.e. guitar playing or any other similar activity, has always come slowly to me. I have a hard, slow time developing certain muscle memory skills - some I never do master, but I keep trying.

just strum
March 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I hate to say this, Mark, but you sound like me. I think it's a combination of age (don't want to admit that) and lack of coordination (OK, so I'm just downright GOOFY at times). I know my dexterity is not what it was 10 or even 5 years ago. Any dexterity and muscle memory skills, i.e. guitar playing or any other similar activity, has always come slowly to me. I have a hard, slow time developing certain muscle memory skills - some I never do master, but I keep trying.

I refuse to give in to the age theory. I'm not doing anything that is overly difficult and I think the clip I posted at the beginning is not age restrictive. I could prescribe to dead brain cells on some days as a result of work, but that's where I would end any physical limitations.

Denial is bliss.

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sometimes, a little "denial" is a good thing.

I think of Banana George Blair, the old fella who at 94 still barefoot waterskis and snowboards. If what he does is denial (as opposed to the term being used in connection with harmful addictions), then that is a good thing.

http://www.bananageorge.com/

Play on and don't waste one second worrying about what your age allows you to do. Jimmie Heuga, former ski racer in the era of Jean Claude Killy, has a MS center (founded because of his own MS) that focuses on helping victims of the disease learn what they can do, not focus on what they can't do.

I am still learning how to coordinate everything too.

just strum
March 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Play on and don't waste one second worrying about what your age allows you to do. Jimmie Heuga, former ski racer in the era of Jean Claude Killy, has a MS center (founded because of his own MS) that focuses on helping victims of the disease learn what they can do, not focus on what they can't do.

I am still learning how to coordinate everything too.

Some of the best advice in the thread ole Stevie Boy!!!:AOK:

mrmudcat
March 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Great advice thus far ,not much to add but practice practice same as I tell my boys :bravo: :poke: