PDA

View Full Version : Reverb convert here

birv2
March 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
How did I miss this? Well, I guess having a Pro Jr, which has no reverb helps. I read a lot about people saying they didn't need reverb, the room provides its own reverb, etc. Then I really splurged and bought a Dano Corned Beef Reverb on ebay for $10.

Wow, what a cool difference it makes. I have no idea if it's a good reverb or not, but I'm loving the sounds I'm getting. I'm not so much into the surf or Stray Cats sounds, but a little goes a long way. It's kind of like finding that secret spice for an otherwise OK recipe.

Just to make sure -- reverb goes at the end of the signal chain, right?

Bob
;)

tot_Ou_tard
March 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I never play with 'verb or any modulation at all.

Someday I'll join your cult. I'm looking forward to it. ;)

markb
March 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I always think there's two ways of looking at reverb. Many people just leave it on to sweeten the sound of their amp but lately I've got into reverb as more of an effect a la surf or rockabilly players. Open up that 'verb knob and let 'er drip! :)

schenkadere
March 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM
The Corned Beef is really more of a very short delay...not a true reverb. Try a real reverb, you'll really be hooked!

I always use a touch...anything without sounds flat and dead to me.

Gil Janus
March 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Greg Koch calls a Reverb on/off control - the Talent Control :thwap:

I admit to using Reverb - I like it :AOK:

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Greg Koch calls a Reverb on/off control - the Talent Control :thwap:

Greg Koch says a lot of things.

Djl2s0RVo5M

Brian Krashpad
March 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I haven't used reverb for ages, even though one of my amps is a Super Reverb (reverb's busted on it). I do have an old Kustom ss head with spring reverb but have several other amps that would get used before the Kustom. I basically hold on to the Kustom for sentimental reasons.

Recently got a little amp to use at church that has spring reverb, and I'll probably use it some, from time to time.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I enjoy using a bit of the spring reverb on my amph. I get how if I am recording, it should be a bit of a dry signal, but I like it when I am just enjoying by my own self. :D :beer:

schenkadere
March 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Greg Koch seems like a dick...who cares what he says. Great faces...:thwap:

oldguy
March 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Greg Koch seems like a dick...who cares what he says. Great faces...:thwap:

I respectfully disagree.......... I see him as a free thinker who "gets it", and uses humor to get his point across. I think he's funny.

birv2
March 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I thought it was laugh-out-loud funny.
:bravo:

Bob

more more more!

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
more more more!
You really are into reverb.

wingsdad
March 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM
...Just to make sure -- reverb goes at the end of the signal chain, right?
Yep. Reverb and/or Delay. Think of them in terms of adding 'space', dimension. As in the reflection of the sonic waves off hard surfaces that trap or contain them. Thus, digital reverbs have names like 'Room' (light, tighter, as in sound reflecting off walls closer to the amp/signal from the speaker, like in a small studio) and 'Hall' ('cavernous', concert hall).

Analog, Spring Reverb...different. Bigger tank, longer springs to get more 'Hall' sound when the level is jacked. Or that 'rockabilly' and 'surf' sound markb mentions, although a tape echo unit really got the 'rockabilly thing'. An Echoplex unit would be true 60's vintage delay. Those things were big, heavy, fragile and horrible to maintain, and dead when the tape loop would break, which was, like, always. An EH Memory Man simulates the Echoplex nicely without the aggravation.

schenkadere
March 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I respectfully disagree.......... I see him as a free thinker who "gets it", and uses humor to get his point across. I think he's funny.

I find him obnoxious and arrogant. Maybe I just don't dig his sense of humor.

birv2
March 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for everyone's responses, including the Greg Koch post!

I have heard that the Corned Beef is more delay than reverb. In either case, I like it. Is there a pedal that does both?

tunghaichuan
March 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
The Boss RV-3 (http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/rv3.xml) does.

I have the Boss RV-5 (http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/rv5.xml) which unfortunately doesn't do delay and reverb, just reverb. But I have a DD-3 to take care of delay duties.

The Digitech Hardwire Reverb (http://www.digitech.com/products/Hardwire/HW_StereoReverb.php) is supposed to be pretty good too, although I don't have any personal experience with it.

tung

Thanks for everyone's responses, including the Greg Koch post!

I have heard that the Corned Beef is more delay than reverb. In either case, I like it. Is there a pedal that does both?

markb
March 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
An EH Memory Man simulates the Echoplex nicely without the aggravation.

Yeah but it couldn't replace watching the tape go round and round on your WEM Copicat after a little herbal refreshment :D

wingsdad
March 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah but it couldn't replace watching the tape go round and round on your WEM Copicat after a little herbal refreshment :D
:whatever: So that's what my Echoplex needed; I should've held onto it:thwap: Then, I might still have it :rotflmao:

Vibroverb
April 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I always need at least a little reverb. Playing guitar without reverb is eating a steak without salt.

schenkadere
April 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I always need at least a little reverb. Playing guitar without reverb is eating a steak without salt.

+1

Fries without Ketchup.

markb
April 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
+1

Fries without Ketchup.

Vinegar, old boy! And we call them chips :D

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Vinegar, old boy! And we call them chips :D You can keep your nasty Fishes and chips . . . . gollum, gollum.

Ok, sorry about the weird free associational thought, but you do live in NZ, where the films were filmed, and it seemed to fit. ;)

Those films make me very much want to visit that country some day, BTW. I also likes me a little reverb. But I just use the spring one in my amph.

sumitomo
April 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Vinegar, :DThat's just a nice name for Douche!!!:rotflmao: Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
That's just a nice name for Douche!!!:rotflmao: Sumi:D

Which is just French for shower.

I don't like ketchup it's too sweet. Mustard for burgers, fresh ground black pepper for fries. I like vinegar, but it makes the fries soggy. I prefer brown (HP) sauce. I picked this up while in England for as summer. Try it, its way better than ketchup. Gravy is even better. I learned that in Canada.

So do you verbists always play with reverb?

Vibroverb
April 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Which is just French for shower.

I don't like ketchup it's too sweet. Mustard for burgers, fresh ground black pepper for fries. I like vinegar, but it makes the fries soggy. I prefer brown (HP) sauce. I picked this up while in England for as summer. Try it, its way better than ketchup. Gravy is even better. I learned that in Canada.

So do you verbists always play with reverb?

I always play with either reverb or delay or both.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I always play with either reverb or delay or both.
Does it sound boring to you without the moisture?

My guitars always seem to me to make their own sauce.

Vibroverb
April 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Does it sound boring to you without the moisture?

My guitars always seem to me to make their own sauce.

It's more a stylistic thing - I like surf and rockabilly.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
It's more a stylistic thing - I like surf and rockabilly.
I agree.

There's no surf without water.

larryx
April 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
:thwap: :poke: I've got to agree with "old guy "regarding Greg Koch (Tom Arnold). He might be a little weird ... BUT MAN ,THAT MOFO CAN PLAY!!! .. One more thing for those of you who only need one patchcord to acheive tonal bliss. I look at the effects thing like this. If I'm a an artist. I can use only black and white and create a masterpiece (Max Earnst comes to mind) Or you can use every color available.....Hmmm? The list of great art and artists gets allot larger. ......Just something to think about.
But I do enjoy the sound of a (good) guitar going straight into a (good) amp. Although it does get boring to listen to after a while,no matter the player. There are so many ways to get your own "personal tonal bliss"
I just won't limit myself to only one.

Robert
April 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I like reverb at home. I have a Lexicon LXP-1 and a Boss SE-70 and my Marshall has a nice digital reverb built in. However, live I use delay instead. Reverb live doesn't work so well for me - it kinda makes my sound disappear in the mix.