PDA

View Full Version : George Thorogood In Concert

piebaldpython
March 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Saw George this past Saturday nite at the HOB in AC. His picking hand thumb and fingers were flying all nite long. Really good show. Half the show was fretted work and the other half was slide. Standard, Open E and Open G tunings played through a variety of Gretsch semi-hollowbody gits with P90's. No pedals. He has a fabulous sense of rhythm and his band was excellent as always. The only drawback was that he was a little too loud.

Kazz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
a little too loud? Maybe you are getting a little too old???

Jipes
March 23rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
a little too loud? Maybe you are getting a little too old???
Well sorry to say that but "protecting his ears" should be the first good attitude for a musician. No one is gonna give you another pair ;)

bigoldron
March 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
The only drawback was that he was a little too loud.

I'm going to come to python's defense on this one. I have ALWAYS loved it loud. BUT, over the last couple of years, I have been to countless shows where the sound techs obviously had no idea what in the he((, they were doing. Generally, they had everything WAY too loud. It was hard to understand who was playing what and what the singer was singing. All I got out of those shows was a headache. Even the young kids complained about it being too loud.

The other thing I've run across are sound techs who think the more and louder the sub-woofers, the better the sound. Tain't necessarily so! When the pressure of the bass hurts your ears 50 rows back or it buzzes because it's so loud, then that doesn't make for a good show.

Not every show is supposed to sound like a doofus' car going down the road. :mad: :whatever:

piebaldpython
March 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks Bigoldron.......when the music is TOO loud, it loses some of it's clarity and definition. Especially at a place like the HOB, with it's balcony stadium seating, the sound just funnels up into the balcony and if the sound is RIGHT, the git solos are CRYSTAL CLEAR.