PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite recording Digital audio workstation?

Robert
March 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
There's lots to choose from...
* Audacity
* Ableton Live
* Adobe Audition
* Cakewalk Sonar
* Cubase
* Digital Performer
* energyXT
* FL Studio
* GarageBand
* Logic Pro
* Nuendo
* Orion
* Pro Tools
* REAPER
* Reason
* Renoise
* Samplitude
* Sony ACID
* Tracktion
* Zynewave Podium

etc... Feel free to add to the list.

My #1 tool is GarageBand. Why? Because it is so easy to use! I get something happening with it REALLY fast. I don't get stuck with menus and commands I can't figure. Plus, it sounds great. At this point, I don't need anything better. If were I full time musician, I might look into Logic or something, but for my needs, GarageBand is THE best thing since sliced bread.

sunvalleylaw
March 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Easy, Garageband. I use it with my Gearbox software and Toneport. I have Audacity, but because I already had Garageband, and knew how to use it, I never use it. I suppose I could get Logic or LogicPro someday, but I don't think I need it. GB is free with my machines, and does what I need.

EDIT: I wrote mine before I finished reading your answer Robert. I didn't really mean to copy yours. ;) :D

sumitomo
March 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
ARG! You guys piss me off cause I'm still trying to remember how to post photos.But give me some time I'll learn.I like the sound of that garageband easy is what I need but I only have PC's.Sumi:D Thanks for postin all of them,this way I can check them out.

Robert
March 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Sumi, hell is over once you get a Mac. :) A new world opens... :bravo:

Blaze
March 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Audacity for quick simple recording..

Nuendo for multi tracks pro projects..

M _Audio Fast Track --USB Audio Interface

marnold
March 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
All I've used is Audacity. Straightforward and free (in every sense of that word). Unfortunately I have yet to locate the "suck filter".

Suhnton
March 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Sony Music Studio/Acid. It's very easy to use. I hear it's the same s/w team that developed Garageband.

Jimi75
March 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
In the studio:
Logic Pro

At home:
Magix Music Maker & Samplitude

SuperSwede
March 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Garageband! I love it, especially the new version with awesome guitar amp models (ilife 09)

Blaze
March 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM
All I've used is Audacity. Straightforward and free (in every sense of that word). Unfortunately I have yet to locate the "suck filter".

http://another.teacher.free.fr/spip.php?article247

Use this link the (Zip Box ) you ll get Audacity with lame encoder inclued , you don t have to install and find the lame encoder for mp3 encoding , it s automaticaly done ...

t_ross33
March 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Samson G-trak Condenser Mic/USB interface - pretty cool. Came bundled with Sonar, but I haven't been real happy with the software, maybe I have to use it/learn it more.

REAPER works pretty good for multi-track stuff. I'd recommend it for the non-Mac crowd. And it's free :beer:

duhvoodooman
March 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Audacity. Easy to use. Many features. FREE!! :dude: :AOK:

mrmudcat
March 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Well i was going to buy pro tools port and set-up but my macbook pro is coming tommorow so im on G.B. like .........................well ya know.................... fast!!!;)

Suhnton
March 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Samson G-trak Condenser Mic/USB interface - pretty cool. Came bundled with Sonar, but I haven't been real happy with the software, maybe I have to use it/learn it more.

REAPER works pretty good for multi-track stuff. I'd recommend it for the non-Mac crowd. And it's free :beer:

Free? Really? I thought it cost $50. Free sounds a lot better.
I d/loaded a trial copy of v2.58 to test out. Not too keen on the interface colours though.

tunghaichuan
March 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Free? Really? I thought it cost $50. Free sounds a lot better.
I d/loaded a trial copy of v2.58 to test out. Not too keen on the interface colours though.

It's free to use for 30 days. After that, you're supposed to pay for it. However, it doesn't expire so you can use it as long as you want. Payment is on the honor system.

I believe there are lots of alternative skins available on the Reaper forum. I remember seeing one that was posted using Klingon symbols. :confused: :bravo: :rotflmao:

Suhnton
March 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I believe there are lots of alternative skins available on the Reaper forum. I remember seeing one that was posted using Klingon symbols. :confused: :bravo: :rotflmao:

I'll check it out, thanks for the info. One good thing I've noticed about REAPER so far is that I don't get the same latency issues that I do with Acid. I'm forever having to manually adjust recorded tracks in Acid to get everything to sync. Could be my pc or soundcard (3.2G Pentium4/1GB/70GB fee disk space).

tunghaichuan
March 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'll check it out, thanks for the info. One good thing I've noticed about REAPER so far is that I don't get the same latency issues that I do with Acid. I'm forever having to manually adjust recorded tracks in Acid to get everything to sync. Could be my pc or soundcard (3.2G Pentium4/1GB/70GB fee disk space).

I use one of these (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx) plugged into my USB port. The driver is low latency, and the Behringer bypasses the soundcard altogether.

tung

sumitomo
March 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Audacity. Easy to use. Many features. FREE!! :dude: :AOK:

Ok I am game but I went to download and it gives me about 8 different types of downloads which ones do I want to use,I have a tone port ux2 and just want to record so I can get use to correcting my playing and post a few here and there.Any help I can get thanks a million,cause I dont want to load the computer with a bunch of stuff I dont need.Sumi:D

Suhnton
March 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Ok I am game but I went to download and it gives me about 8 different types of downloads which ones do I want to use,I have a tone port ux2 and just want to record so I can get use to correcting my playing and post a few here and there.Any help I can get thanks a million,cause I dont want to load the computer with a bunch of stuff I dont need.Sumi:D

I'm assuming you have a Windows pc. The version I d/loaded was the latest beta version (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows). I uninstalled it since I couldn't find where to load VSTs. From what I understand you need a VST patch to get it to work.

mcgreggor57
March 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I've used Adobe Audition, and it's previous versions, for years doing audio production in the broadcast industry. The lack of real time FXs seem to make it less than ideal for mixing music.

hubberjub
March 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I mostly use ProTools but I have Cubase SX too. Once you dig in a little all of the programs are pretty similar.

sumitomo
March 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I'm assuming you have a Windows pc. The version I d/loaded was the latest beta version (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows). I uninstalled it since I couldn't find where to load VSTs. From what I understand you need a VST patch to get it to work.
See I have no idea what a VST patch is?Looks like I'm stuck with a tape recorder until I can get a Mac.Sumi:D

Suhnton
March 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
See I have no idea what a VST patch is?Looks like I'm stuck with a tape recorder until I can get a Mac.Sumi:D

A mac? Clearly a man with money to burn :)
You don't really need to use VST instruments or FX if you intend to do simple recording. Give Audacity a try anyway, you might like it.

sumitomo
March 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Well I downloaded Audacity,now I just need to figure this wonderful stuff out.One day I will be able to talk to this computer and it will help me.Sumi:D

Blaze
March 31st, 2009, 05:16 AM
Well I downloaded Audacity,now I just need to figure this wonderful stuff out.One day I will be able to talk to this computer and it will help me.Sumi:D

Tutorials here to help

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/tutorials.html

sumitomo
March 31st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks Blazes you are a great source of info for all of us here,and I really mean that,so Thanks again.Sumi:D

Robert
September 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Audacity sure seems popular.

Anybody try Logic? I been thinking that might be a nice tool for us Mac-buddies.

Radioboy950
September 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Something that hasn't been mentioned:
Bias Peak and Deck.
I've used the "light" versions for Mac, and they're great.
But I started playing around with GarageBand one day. It's fun, intuitive, and has so many tweaks available. It's become my main program these days for music and voiceover work.

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Audacity sure seems popular.

Anybody try Logic? I been thinking that might be a nice tool for us Mac-buddies.

I hear lots of good things about it, and that the new version is really worth having. http://www.macworld.com/article/142321/2009/08/logicstud09.html But I guess Garageband seems to cover it for me right now. I think I would look more closely at Logic if I really needed to do a lot more editing, like if I was in a band.