PDA

View Full Version : Danelectro

geoff taylor
March 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi all,
I'm currently interested in Danelectro 6-string guitars but there seems to be a huge amount to choose from...different series etc. The Danelectro website isn't much help. Has anyone got any recommendations, which ones to look out for, which ones to avoid etc?
All advice gratefully recieved.

street music
March 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
You should check out the reviews at Harmony Central.com
Some aren't that great and I guess they are alright as a beginner. I tried three different ones but wasn't that impressed.

snoglobe
March 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Fats Kaplan gets great tone out of his in Postcard from Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXd2V5t6qHE&feature=related

geoff taylor
March 24th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks guys. I think what got my attention with Danelectro lays somewhere between their minimal-retro look, their price-range, and the fact that numerous respected players who can afford the best still choose to play 'em. Having never picked one up, I'd like to try a few out, but would like to narrow my search via some learned advice.

markb
March 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
They don't vary that much. If we stick to 2 pickup guitars they're all variations on the same recipe. Open frame softwood body faced with masonite (hardboard), 2 lipstick pickups (low output, vintage ones are about 4K), iffy intonation from the wooden saddle (some models). The pickups are usually wired so that the middle position is both coils in series rather than the usual parallel arrangement. They're effectively semi hollow.
Danos are not the worlds greatest guitars but they have their own vibe and sound. One of the best tones (in context) I ever heard was a Dutch guy with two old Silvertones backing up Ben Weaver in London. Silvertones and Danelectros were basically the same. The Dano '63 model is more like a Silvertone from that period.

Brian Krashpad
March 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
You should check out the reviews at Harmony Central.com
Some aren't that great and I guess they are alright as a beginner.

Uhh, Jimi Page used one of the old ones.

They don't vary that much. If we stick to 2 pickup guitars they're all variations on the same recipe. Open frame softwood body faced with masonite (hardboard), 2 lipstick pickups (low output, vintage ones are about 4K), iffy intonation from the wooden saddle (some models). The pickups are usually wired so that the middle position is both coils in series rather than the usual parallel arrangement.

As to pickup configuration and bridges, mostly, but not all:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3141374077_74b1b0f4a0.jpg

At this point in the reissue market there are lots with modern bridges rather than the wooden ones.

They're effectively semi hollow.
Danos are not the worlds greatest guitars but they have their own vibe and sound.

This, yes. ^

hubberjub
March 26th, 2009, 06:59 AM
The only Danelectro I have is one of the recent ones. I forget what the mode is called but it's a baritone guitar tuned B-E-A-D-F#-B. I just bought it because my local guitar shop was selling thier entire new Danelectro inventory for $150. I actually went back the next day to pick up a 12 string that they had but it was gone. Sorry for the fuzzy pic.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/Solid%20Bodies/Picture018.jpg

Brian Krashpad
March 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM
The only Danelectro I have is one of the recent ones. I forget what the mode is called but it's a baritone guitar tuned B-E-A-D-F#-B. I just bought it because my local guitar shop was selling thier entire new Danelectro inventory for $150. I actually went back the next day to pick up a 12 string that they had but it was gone. Sorry for the fuzzy pic.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/Solid%20Bodies/Picture018.jpg

Patrick, I'm no expert but I believe your guitar is an Innuendo Baritone.

It has onboard effects, correct?

hubberjub
March 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Patrick, I'm no expert but I believe your guitar is an Innuendo Baritone.

It has onboard effects, correct?

The name Innuendo does ring a bell. It does have the onboard effects. The modulation is actually not too bad.

Brian Krashpad
March 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
The name Innuendo does ring a bell. It does have the onboard effects. The modulation is actually not too bad.

If it's got onboard effects, it should be an Innuendo. They also had a similar Hearsay model (regular guitar anyhow, I believe the Innuendo came in both Bari and regular versions), which iirc had distortion only. There's one of those available locally with the scratchplate sticker still on for a Benjamin even, but I just don't have room for more guitars (unless of course it's a deal "just too good to pass up").

hubberjub
March 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
If it's got onboard effects, it should be an Innuendo. They also had a similar Hearsay model (regular guitar anyhow, I believe the Innuendo came in both Bari and regular versions), which iirc had distortion only. There's one of those available locally with the scratchplate sticker still on for a Benjamin even, but I just don't have room for more guitars (unless of course it's a deal "just too good to pass up").

The effects are kind of cheesy but it has (according to the sticker) chorus, echo, tremolo, and distortion. The chorus and trem are okay. The distortion is BAD.

geoff taylor
March 31st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Many thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!