PDA

View Full Version : Last time you experienced big "growth" in playing

Jimi75
March 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM
When was the last time that you can recall where you made a big step forward with your playing, where you were really like adopting new technique or licks to your lick library and you felt like that your playing improved?

To me it was a period about 2 years ago where I played in a band that covered almost the entire Bonamssa "New Day Yesterday:Live" album. I have played the songs over and over again, I found out how to play them only by ear, at that time there was almost no tab available for Bonamassa songs. I watched his live concerts and rewinded certain licks a thousand times until I felt that my playing has changed in a way. I was not trying to copying his style or licks and use them for myself, but my view on pentatonics and phrasing for example changed completely. I felt improvement big time. Sure, if you practice you improve everyday a little bit, but sometimes there is material that cut so deep that the improvement and change in your playing is overproportional - which indicates also that the material corresponds with your playing style.

What's your experience with this?

Robert
March 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM
For me, it was when I started listening to and playing jazz standards. Changed my world (for the better - the musical world that is).

oldguy
March 24th, 2009, 06:46 AM
My playing has improved since I joined the club here and actually became interested in learning again.:)

kiteman
March 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
The biggest improvement I had was the CAGED system. when I studied it it was a big slap in my face.

How can I be so stupid? I knew transposing and all that but the CAGED system linked them up for me. All the sudden my fretboard made more sense.

You know what they say in the court, represent yourself and you have a fool for a lawyer so when you teach yourself guitar well... ;)

:dude: