PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an acoustic guitar

Robert
July 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I'd like an acoustic with electronics. I'm looking for value for money - no Taylor or Martin for me just yet....

I need one for the "softer" gigs Myra and I do as a duo. Electric guitar doesn't always work that great for the "strumming songs". I'd like to plug it straight into a DI and get decent sound.

I'm going to take a close look at Seagull, they are very popular Canadian guitars and they get favorable reviews from all over.

What else should I look at?

t_ross33
July 23rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Robert, I am VERY happy with my new Washburn D10 Quilt Top. Probably the best amplified acoustic tone I've heard in a guitar at this price point (should be able to pick one up for under $500). I would have no problem recommending it. I've always been a fan of Yamaha acoustics as well.

EDIT: A friend of mine has another Canada-made acoustic from Garrison. Very bright tone that would be good, I think, in a live setting. Might not be as warm sounding as you might want for studio work though. The internal composite construction is less susceptible to changes in temperature and humidity making it ideal for outdoor gigs (I've tested this around the campfire at the lake ;) ) On that note, I've heard a couple Rainsong composite guitars and thought they'd make good road-warriors (not cheap though).

As mentioned in another post, I've also done a little horse trading and picked up a Washburn WA30 acoustic amp for my Vox AD30VT. It seems (as one might expect) very well matched to the electronics of the D10.

marnold
July 24th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I really liked Fender's Stratacoustic and Telecoustic. They don't sound like much unplugged but sound great plugged in. I'm not sure they make them anymore. They were retailing for about US$300.

t_ross33
July 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I really liked Fender's Stratacoustic and Telecoustic. They don't sound like much unplugged but sound great plugged in. I'm not sure they make them anymore. They were retailing for about US$300.

They were still in Fender's 2006 catalogue. I saw an article in one of the guitar mags that did a comparison of various electric-acoustics. I'll see if I can find it and post some info.

Katastrophe
July 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Art & Lutherie is another Canadian acoustic manufacturer (a Godin company).

I've played a couple of Takamines, and both of them played well, with good tone and excellent fit and finish.

My other guitar player has an Applause, the economy brand of Ovation, and the guitar sounds good and plays well for an economy model.

Unless you're good at replacing acoustic bridges/nuts and tuners, I would avoid the Johnson brand... Mine had a few minor fit and finish issues, and now needs serious truss rod adjustment. But, it had good tone and played well for the first month after I bought it.

Also, look at Epiphone. They make some great looking guitars, and the Masterbuilt series looks nice. I have yet to play one, though.

warren0728
July 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
my friend ron at music shack carries the Art & Lutherie line and thinks they are the best deal for the money. My next acoustic might be one of them.

ww

Justaguyin_nc
July 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I'll throw in the Ibanez AEG10E.. I have the Nylon version and have no regrets with it.. the AEG10E gets pretty good reviews and sells new for $300.00 while you can find them on ebay from 150-250 when your lucky.
The black would make you look so cool on stage Robert...and goes with your Squier 51...;) Acoustic and Electric with tuner..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEG10E-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=519982

marnold
July 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Apparently the Tele/Stratacoustic are part of the Squier line now. I don't know if that changed their construction or quality at all. Musician's Friend has them for US$199.

tremoloman
July 31st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Robert,

I'd say give Ovation guitars a try. They have the action of an electric with a great acoustic sound. Built in tuners, excellent action, and a very comfortable bowl shape have me sold. Even their lower budget guitars are sweet. I gave them a try because Alex Lifeson and Robert Smith use them and I just love their sound.

Robert
August 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Update - I tried a Yamaha APX-3 and it sounded nice plugged in. It was $399 (CDN) in the local, expensive music store. Very easy to play also, has a thin body so it felt like an electric almost.

The other guitar I liked was a Walden guitar. Wow! Sounded great by itself, nice big sound. Very easy to play, and it gave me the "this-is-a-quality-guitar-feeling". I didn't plug it in but I will go back and try it through an amp. Reviews online says it sounds great plugged in to. This one was $499 (CDN) in the local music store, but there was a little damage on it so I think I should be able to get a better deal on it.

el_goodo_maximo
August 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I say play some Takamines you can find some amazing ones!

t_ross33
August 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM
The other guitar I liked was a Walden guitar. Wow! Sounded great by itself, nice big sound. Very easy to play, and it gave me the "this-is-a-quality-guitar-feeling". I didn't plug it in but I will go back and try it through an amp. Reviews online says it sounds great plugged in to.

Robert, I suggest trying it plugged into an acoustic amp, keyboard amp or small PA. Not sure about the Hellhound, but I sure didn't like my acoustic thru the Vox. Assuming the Hellhound is an ELECTRIC guitar amp, I wouldn't expect an acoustic to live up to it's full potential amplified in this manner. For live gigs, DI it to your PA if you don't have an acoustic amp (or better yet, buy an acoustic amp with a balanced XLR out to send to the board/PA). Next, you will have to explore the niche market of effects specifically for acoustics. Got GAS yet? :D I sure do!

I don't know much, but I'm learning as I go. I've done a lot of trial and error in the past 8 or 9 months :D ! Hope this helps.

Trev

P.S. Keep us posted WRT your purchase.

Robert
August 9th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Trev, I would only play it through an acoustic amp, line into my computer or through a PA.

The main reason for the acoustic is home recording and live gigs with my duo project.

t_ross33
August 11th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I knew you'd know that already, I just wanted to sound smart ;)

Have you settled on the Walden? I'd still recommend test driving a Washburn D10

The World’s Best Selling Acoustic Guitar earned the distinction with superior craftsmanship, tone and value. Voted Number 1 by Acoustic Guitar magazine as the best guitar under $500.
The cutaway w/ electronics lists for $499 US, but I'm sure you can find it for less. It's pretty sweet with a solid spruce top (played one at my local music store yesterday). Not as purrdy as my D10 Quilt Maple Top, but it would get the job done all the same :D.

Justaguyin_nc
August 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Trev, I would only play it through an acoustic amp, line into my computer or through a PA.

The main reason for the acoustic is home recording and live gigs with my duo project.

Robert, Think about keeping those screaming solos with an accoustic seeing your going thru an amp/pa anyway.... check out the Michael Kelly Hybrid for $499.00 at Guitar Center.. nice demo's here..http://www.michaelkellyhybrid.com/ :DR

Robert
August 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I haven't settled on any guitar yet, but that Walden is very tempting.

Hybrid? Looks interesting. However, I think I'll buy one that I have tried in person first. That means I'll go with something I can find around where I live.

warren0728
August 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
have you tried the Art & Lutherie series yet? i played a few at ron's and there are really nice....especially for the bucks. Made in canada too.

ww

Robert
August 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Haven't seen one of those yet, ww. That Walden I had looked at was gone today when I went to the music store. Now I need to go to Edmonton, where there's more stores and more guitars to choose from. Within the next few weeks I hope to find something. Thanks all!

Robert
August 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
How about this one, guys? I have a promise of free shipping from Rondo Music, since they sent me the wrong guitar last time. I've thinking maybe I should order this one - http://www.rondomusic.net/dg50ce.html - it gets good reviews on Harmony Central. I figure I should make use of the free shipping deal, and I don't know what else I would want from Rondo.

Does it make a difference if an acoustic has a cutaway or not for the quality of sound? I see they have both a "normal" version and one with a cutaway. The one with the cutaway would easier to play higher up on the neck.

http://www.rondomusic.net/dg30e.html - without cutaway

marnold
August 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Looks sweet, Robert. Why don't you order that bad-boy and then get back to us? :)

t_ross33
August 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM
A cutaway might affect the sound just due to the different shape of the sound chamber, but I think it would take a trained, and picky, ear to distinguish between the two. Some say they don't project as much or as well. Won't matter if you are amp-ing it anyway. Obviously the cutaway just makes it easier to play higher on the neck.

That being the case I have no idea why I needed to get a cutaway :rolleyes:

el_goodo_maximo
August 24th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Cutaways don't affect the sound very much. The biggest difference is that the top vibrates in different spots... and it's alot less pretty

Robert
August 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Does an acoustic without a cutaway look much nicer than one with a cutaway?