PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Malaysia

gluen
March 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone. I'm the first one from Malaysia (did a search and nothing came up except this: http://www.thefret.net/archive/index.php/t-6683.html). Came by this site through Robert's Dolphin Street while searching for gear reviews. I'm 25 and play a 97 American Standard Strat as well as an Ibanez SZ520 with Duncan pups. I like to play blues, light jazz, as well as some funk.

Guitarist I like are SRV, Eric Johnson, and Larry Carlton.

Hoping to learn and improve my playing through this site.

Spudman
March 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hi and welcome.
I have an SZ520 as well. Very nice guitars. Did you buy yours in Malaysia? What finish does it have?

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Welcome! I am glad you joined us. I know very little about Malaysia, and I do believe you are the first here. :AOK:

Robert
March 24th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Welcome! Glad to hear you found both this place and Dolphinstreet. :)

Ch0jin
March 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Welcome Gluen :)

Where abouts in Malaysia are you? I used to travel there 4-5 times a year for work, mostly to the Penang area.

gluen
March 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Wow, I didn't expect so many replies so fast. To Spudman: Yes, I bought it in Malaysia. Its sunburst with a flamed maple top. It also has the heartbeat inlay.

To Sunvalley and Chojin: I stay in Kuala Lumpur which is the capital. Malaysia is fairly small compared to the United States. It probably takes about a 2 hour flight to get from end to end.

And to everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. I've only been playing for about 9 years (way short compared to some of you here) and still have much to learn. Have been reading around the forum for a while before registering. What I really like about the place is the openness and the tone of the sharing. Really homely, if you know what I mean.

oldguy
March 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Welcome to TheFret, gluen! Glad you joined us here.:)
I bought my Ceriatone amplifier from Maylaysia, and I love it. :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
March 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Welcome!

Gil Janus
March 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome aboard TheFret.

Gil :cool:

tjcurtin1
March 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Welcome from the other side of he world! Nice to have folks from so many different parts of the globe sharing an interest.

gluen
March 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
It just goes to show that you can't get enough of guitaring wherever you are.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

snarph
March 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
It just goes to show that you can't get enough of guitaring wherever you are.

Thanks for the welcome guys.
the inter net makes the world a lot closer your going to love this site

Jimi75
March 27th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Welcome!

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Welcome to The Fret, gluen. Our first Malaysian, I think.... :AOK: :rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Hey I missed the Welcome Wagon.

Welcome! What is the guitar scene like in Malaysia?

gluen
March 31st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi there tot_Ou_tard. The guitar scene over here is not well developed as compared to the US. Our neighbor country Indonesia, even though being less developed has a much higher standard of musicians and hence guitarists.

Over here its hard to make a living as a pro musician/guitarist and the majority of guitarists are unwilling to spend much on equipment due to the high cost after currency conversions. However, that being said, many end up with Boss pedals. Boutique ones like Fulltone, T.C, (and DVM's) etc are a very rare sight and cost approx 1k in our cash. At least we have cheap guitars like SX available for around 600 for a Strat copy.

Monkus
April 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Welcome gluen !!!!!

farabz
November 15th, 2009, 11:01 AM
hey man, ill be vistin malaysia and singapore next year. ive plans to buy an electric guitar from there but ive no idea about guitar scenarios. can you tell me about pricings and all ? are they cheap over there ?

oldguy
November 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hi there tot_Ou_tard. The guitar scene over here is not well developed as compared to the US. Our neighbor country Indonesia, even though being less developed has a much higher standard of musicians and hence guitarists.

Over here its hard to make a living as a pro musician/guitarist and the majority of guitarists are unwilling to spend much on equipment due to the high cost after currency conversions. However, that being said, many end up with Boss pedals. Boutique ones like Fulltone, T.C, (and DVM's) etc are a very rare sight and cost approx 1k in our cash. At least we have cheap guitars like SX available for around 600 for a Strat copy.
Welcome to TheFret............
Assuming it hasn't drastically changed in 8 mos., I think there's the answer.
(way to revive an old thread!):AOK :applause :dude
:pancake