PDA

View Full Version : What effect have you given up on?

Robert
March 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
For me, it's Flanger. I can't really stand using that effect more than a few seconds (unless I'm playing some old Van Halen cover...).

I also don't use Chorus much, but I haven't completely given up on it.

sensei
March 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM
+1 Flanger... got no use for it at all.

I really like a good chorus sound, but still no real use for me.

mrmudcat
March 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Yea that an the swirly vibrato pedals!;)

Gutmann
March 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I've given up on ... wahs. Tried so many, Dunlop, vintage Dunlop, a old Vox, a older Boss TW1 (autowah) the models in EX7 and a morley (which wasn't mine but this one sounded brilliant - unfortunately I never found another morley sounding as good again).

Don't feel like I should try a RMC - but I'd like to hear the killer wail by Tech21.

By the way, just recovered the flanger:D I like to modulate delaysignals..

Uli

markb
March 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Most of them. See below :)

Spudman
March 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Water Pik. I use to have an original and man it was great. The new ones just don't have the same mojo.

Otherwise...I'm still open to every effect.

marnold
March 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'll try anything once, but I still haven't found a need for tremolo. Just not my bag.

Suhnton
March 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Agree on the flanger. Sounds horrible to me.

sumitomo
March 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I've never been a pedal junkie,I still have a Rat,a ts10 and I don't use them much.Well see when the Rodent comes and I just bought a amph a bj and it is comming with a ts9.I have a jimi hendrix fuzz wah never really liked that one maybe one day I'll throw it out.I like to plug in and use the amph but Im changing a little using my tone port some of the sounds are cool.Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
March 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally.

Suhnton
March 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally.

I really like tremolo. It has that "stranded in the middle of the Arizona desert" scary-sweet sound to it.

sunvalleylaw
March 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I can't say I have given up on any yet. I like all that I have so far. I don't use my wah much yet, but that is because I am not yet that adept at it. I have not purchased a flanger or phaser or any of those other end of chain shapers yet because I figure I have it close enough with my chorus, and I don't play phaser or flanger type music much. I do have those effects in my Korg, just haven't used them.

Tone2TheBone
March 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I really like tremolo. It has that "stranded in the middle of the Arizona desert" scary-sweet sound to it.

I know exactly the sound you mean. I even see those desert scenes in sepia play over and over in my mind. I gotta admit that I loved the Tremolo tone that Ry Cooder used on one scene during the movie Crossroads when Eugene loses his girlfriend and plays a thing on his Tele. Now that was a cool Tremolo sound but anytime I try to use it I end up hating it. ;) I don't think I'm meant to own a Trem pedal.

R_of_G
March 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I think tremolo is the one effect I actually use well. Chalk it up to listening to a lot of Marc Ribot and Spacemen 3.

I like the flanger (particularly in dub reggae) but I've yet to be able to find the right settings to use it to my liking in my own playing.

I am most assuredly a tone junkie and will never get sick of any effects permanently. I always like to play around with them.

SuperSwede
March 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM

I just had to steal that line, you are my hero....

Jimi75
March 26th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, Whammy Pedal

My new love though is the Tremolo....sooooo awesome what you can do with htis effect, it must be the most underrated effect...

hubberjub
March 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I haven't given up on the phaser, I just haven't found one that I like. I use to use a beat up '80's DOD that had a great thick sound. I kept trying to replace it with something better. I bought a Digitech Modulator, a TC Electronic Nova Modulator, and a Line 6 MM-4. None of them have that great a phaser sound. I would just throw the DOD back on my board but it's kind of falling apart. Someday I'll stumble upon another great phaser. I will also agree with Jimi about the Whammy pedal. They are fun to mess with but not very useful. They also take up a lot of real estate on your board.

schenkadere
March 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Tremolo in general.

And specifically for OD the Fulltone OCD...yuck.

ragnarpk
March 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
no way would i give up on tremolo... i don't use it often, but if you let it kick in towards the end of a solo, things can get pretty sexy.

but flangers and leslie (models [EX-7]) just get annoying as hell after a while..

whammies can be useful though, i wouldnt ever remove it..

duhvoodooman
March 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Interesting the variety of opinions here, but one common thread running through these various "offenders"--almost all are modulation effects. I think that type of effect is easily overused--not only from the standpoint of how often they're used, but also the effect "depth" at which they're used. They can be very annoying when overdone.

Just ask any pedal maker--there are no bad effects, just misused and overused ones! ;)

P.S. Speaking of the much-maligned flanger....I was honored to be selected as a "beta builder" for BYOC's forthcoming analog flanger kit. Whether or not you like/use a flanger, it's a very cool design. Keith "Mr. BYOC" Vonderhulls came up with a clever way to incorporate the different flanger circuit approaches of two classic analog flangers--MXR and A/DA--in a single effect in a switchable configuration. So if you're not a flanger-phobe, this is a very flexible one and should be available for sale very soon.

Gutmann
March 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM

P.S. Speaking of the much-maligned flanger....I was honored to be selected as a "beta builder" for BYOC's forthcoming analog flanger kit. Whether or not you like/use a flanger, it's a very cool design. Keith "Mr. BYOC" Vonderhulls came up with a clever way to incorporate the different flanger circuit approaches of two classic analog flangers--MXR and A/DA--in a single effect in a switchable configuration. So if you're not a flanger-phobe, this is a very flexible one and should be available for sale very soon.

That sounds quite interesting. I never really used flangers, always preferred the EH small stone. Recently, I found an old digital Ibanez flanger/chorus-pedal of the 10 series which has a pretty cool sound, especially when used after a delay, to get some modulation on the repeats. Flangers have been uncool for too long!
Not to over-use effects is something one has to learn, subtle use of any effect is a better way (unless you are The Edge).

Vibroverb
April 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
All modulation except tremolo.

just strum
April 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'm still in the experimental stage. Since I use an ME50 now, I never use the flanger setting. I do have a "reverse" on the delay pedal, but I only use that when I am burying Paul.

Spudman
April 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Coriolis - sometimes it works great and other times you just can't depend on it.
The toilet got plugged up today.:D

R_of_G
April 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Coriolis - sometimes it works great and other times you just can't depend on it.
:rotflmao:
It reminds me of the opening scenes of "Bart Versus Australia" from The Simpsons Season 6.

marnold
April 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Doppler. I find it to be ANNOOOOOoooooooooooyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggg gg.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I don't really use effects yet.

It's not about giving up, it's more that I haven't heard the clarion call yet.