PDA

View Full Version : Which TELE will it be?

street music
March 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-SSH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512574

OR
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Telecaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519376

No, I'm not buy it from MF but this is the two guitars that I will be trying to pick between FRiday morning when I go to get my G>A>S> taken care of.
Opinions or remarks are welcome, I'm going to play both through several amps and see what sounds the and feels like the TELE to me.

markb
March 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I'd vote for the CV but they're your ears and fingers. And your wallet of course :)

duhvoodooman
March 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
+1 on the CV. Have heard mixed reviews on the VM, but consistently good things about the CV's.

sumitomo
March 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Oh the MV gets my vote a strat with a bucker in the neck in a tele body what more could you want.Sumi:D and no I'm not buying one,no I say no sorry I just have to keep telling myself that.

wingsdad
March 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Agree, it's your ears & fingers, street...but my vote would be the SSH, even tho 9.5" neck radius isn't true 'vintage' (7.25-7.5 is)..but if it feels good in your hands...I think you'd have more versatility with the pickups on that. As for the CV, I realize that the CV is widely raved over here, but IMHO, pine is not a Tele. Leo Fender rejected his original pine prototype for the thing as too soft, wouldn't be durable in the long run, and went with Ash. Maybe I'm just overly-purist about it, but you asked for opinions, and that's how I stand on it.

Tone2TheBone
March 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Trust me Street. You will love the CV 50s Tele. It's one Tele sounding Tele. Alnico IIIs are the best pickups for Teles.

street music
March 26th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Guys , I really appreciate the comments. I have really been having a hard time with this I even looked at the Carvin tl60 but man that is over $800 for a tele sounding Carvin. I'm just an average guy who wants to play on a good sounding guitar , I have read the reviews on the Vibe 50 and listen to several youtube videos. The SSH has so many options that I could change the pups if I need to upgrade them or turn the thing into a STRATELE. I think it will come down to getting into the sound room and just pickin till one makes me grin. Thanks for the help!

mrmudcat
March 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I like the mini bucker one.Drop in a seymour and call it good, later on if you want!!;)

Jimi75
March 26th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I'd go with the 2nd one.

markb
March 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
If you're thinking of changing pickups the CVs are routed for a humbucker at the neck. And there's always the 4-way switch mod (http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html) for 2 pickup teles.

Duff49
March 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I played the three pup Squire tele with the mini humbucker in the neck and it didn't sound as good as my Peavey Generation EX Triple Single or my Peavey Generation EX Vintage with the vintage humbucker in the neck and the Peavey tele pup in the bridge.

Just options.

You can still get the Triple Singles at uncleikes.com I think for something like 149 dollars. Very nice alder body and vintage tuners and a sound that is great. The neck pickup is noted for it's tone. It has two single coil strat type pups in the top and a tele pup at the bridge. Very nice guitar for the price, way discounted these days.

I have not played the pinecaster but bet it is an awesome choice.

Duffy

t_ross33
March 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'd go with the CV, even tho I have the SH VM Tele and I love it (especially after some serious mods). The CV has received accolades all around. The SSH (and the SH for that matter) seem to be "try before you buy" to make sure you get a good one. Good luck in your search and keep us posted :dude:

street music
March 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Tomorrow is the day!

street music
March 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm home with my new Vintage Modified SSH, I must say that I am amazed at how comfortable this Squier Telecaster feels. Very nice skunk strip neck, the pickup arrangements are so varied that I think you could play about anything you wanted. I got the White with black knobs, black pick guard. The mini humbucker can give you some great blues , distortion or crunch. The middle Strat Stack, I'm convined is there solely for a Strat lover(note it might get changed out for Tele Neck pickup). The bridge pickup-I didn't get any from in the shop but I am at home(need to check on this). The bridge can TWANG you out the window. If I can during the weekend I'll get some sound bits, I still haven't posted any as I haven't learned the whole process.
So, the luthier who does the major setups was out for an operation will not be back for 2 weeks, then I am having a bone nut installed and the fret touched if they need it, they pulled this out of the box-tuned it and reached it to me to play. Right now , I'm tired and will post pics soon but it is just as they show it on the Squire page,

ted s
March 27th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Congrats Street ! New guitar day is one of the best !

t_ross33
March 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Congrats Street ! New guitar day is one of the best !

+1. Welcome to the VM Club. We'll give you a couple days then press for the "Modified Vintage Modified" updates :beer: Pics and clips! I'm curious to hear that mini-HB.

t_ross33
March 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm home with my new Vintage Modified SSH
I always thought it was inspired by this one... it's what piqued my curiosity about the SSH VM's in the first place :bravo:

FaP97Z5bS_4

street music
March 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
T- ross you nailed it, The Bridge pickups is just a twaggy Seymour Duncan that can be brought into blues sound with the tone adjustment and combined with the middle Start stack out of phase in the 4 setting can produce an array of sounds, then in position 3 the middle by itself is all STRAT. FRom there position 2 combines the mid and neck mini humbucker for a great combination of classic rock to southern rock, then jumping to 1st position for that hot mini hum for a full mind blowing distortion or just a great clean humbucker .
I will try to get some clips, I promise but the video above has very much the same sound as mine does. I've played for about 2 hours this morning, set the intonation in about 10 minutes. I allowed it to set in the stand all night and get some humidity back to it(this help with the fill of the frets) I'm told that when they ship these with the dry packs sometimes it causes neck shrinkage.
It has about 4 frets that need smoothed a little. I'm trying to get used to the 9.5 radius as my other 2 electrics have 12".
I can tell you that I am growing fond of this sweet "SASSY" , she will talk back to you. That Skunk stripe on the back of her neck has to mean something.
I had first thought that I might want to change out the middle STRAT -stack but I really doubt that it will happen now. I am pleased with my purchase and
would advise anyone to check this Vintage Modified or Vibe 50 Tele out , they are both well worth the price.

t_ross33
March 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Still lovin' my SH (M)VM... it's just so much fun to play. Had it set up recently and had some rough frets dressed and leveled. Slapped 9's back on (had been playing with 10s or a EB Hybrid Slinky set)... love the 9.5 rad neck :bravo:

Glad you like 'er. Looking forward to clips and pics, cause without them - it just don't exist ;)

markb
March 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
T- ross you nailed it, The Bridge pickups is just a twaggy Seymour Duncan that can be brought into blues sound with the tone adjustment and combined with the middle Start stack out of phase in the 4 setting can produce an array of sounds, then in position 3 the middle by itself is all STRAT. FRom there position 2 combines the mid and neck mini humbucker for a great combination of classic rock to southern rock, then jumping to 1st position for that hot mini hum for a full mind blowing distortion or just a great clean humbucker .
I will try to get some clips, I promise but the video above has very much the same sound as mine does. I've played for about 2 hours this morning, set the intonation in about 10 minutes. I allowed it to set in the stand all night and get some humidity back to it(this help with the fill of the frets) I'm told that when they ship these with the dry packs sometimes it causes neck shrinkage.
It has about 4 frets that need smoothed a little. I'm trying to get used to the 9.5 radius as my other 2 electrics have 12".
I can tell you that I am growing fond of this sweet "SASSY" , she will talk back to you. That Skunk stripe on the back of her neck has to mean something.
I had first thought that I might want to change out the middle STRAT -stack but I really doubt that it will happen now. I am pleased with my purchase and
would advise anyone to check this Vintage Modified or Vibe 50 Tele out , they are both well worth the price.

I'd put a pull switch on one of the controls to give bridge + neck with that layout. I hardly use my tele now I've got that combo on my strat.

sumitomo
March 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Nice choice Street,and I'll check of that advise as well Markb I have been lookin for a change in my ole strat.Sumi:D

street music
March 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm trying to post the pictures.

I have never had a hard time of loading pictures to this site, it won't let me upload no matter what I do to these pictures.

street music
March 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry but I have tried to resize all of 7 pictures but they still won't upload. I have some good pictures but I can't figure out what to do with these. I have about lost my patience.

Brian Krashpad
March 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry but I have tried to resize all of 7 pictures but they still won't upload. I have some good pictures but I can't figure out what to do with these. I have about lost my patience.

Just post to http://imageshack.us and link from there.

Btw, I think a lot of people don't realize that the SSH Tele, despite being called that, is not SSH. It's HHH. The middle and bridge pickups are stacked HB's, not singles.

Unless they've changed the specs.

t_ross33
March 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
JBtw, I think a lot of people don't realize that the SSH Tele, despite being called that, is not SSH. It's HHH. The middle and bridge pickups are stacked HB's, not singles.

Unless they've changed the specs.

Yes, they are stacked singles, but they are voiced more towards the single coil side of the spectrum - I suspect that they are stacked to give a little more punch and a little less noise.

That said, I ripped mine out and dropped in a GFS Lil Puncher dual rail humbucking p'up (modeled on a Joe Barden p'up as I understand it) in the bridge position, and a GFS Dream 90 (P90 style in a HB case) in the neck. I guess I have a Modified Vintage Modified HS now :dude:

street music
March 31st, 2009, 07:06 PM
I know the spec that comes out on the SSH defines them as single coil and since I have never delt with stack pickups before , I'm still happy with the sounds at this time, I still might play around with it and check out a different single coil tele in the middle.
I hope to get some recording done, it's been a hard week for me so far.

Childbride
March 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Street, great guitar. :D