PDA

View Full Version : How to practice when no guitar at hand?

Jimi75
March 26th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Everybody knows that situation, it comes up in times where you have "just nothing to do" (of course this never happens ;) ) or when you are on holiday and you have no guitar at hand - but somehow you want to practice something or do something for your guitarplaying...

How do you practice in such situations?

I learned over the years to visualize and mentalize things like scales and licks. I close my eyes and pick a certain lick, Pentatonic for e.g., sometimes I take a pick and a book and I pick the lick on the edge of the cover (the cover edge immitates the string then). I try to memorize the motion (alternate picking motion if this is the required picking technique) and this really helped me play a lot of licks better. The practice works the same way as with a guitar, play very slow, over and over again until you feel comfortable with that lick!

Reading tablature is another way. You really have to read it very concentrated, measure by measure.

Listening to music is always good...
Some people buy these sort of mini necks with strings, but that is definitely not what I meant with this thread...

What's your way then? :AOK:

sumitomo
March 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Pocket pool!!!! Just teasing,when I went on vacation just a little while ago there was no guitar and I did have some picks with me so when I would lie down I would close my eyes and visualize the lick or chords I was playing and I was picking,strumming on my thigh.Worked good cause I tried the licks when I got home and they were almost their.Sumi:D

R_of_G
March 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Listen listen listen.

Listening to music has as great an impact on my playing as anything I practice with an instrument in my hands. There's a big difference between listening to music just for enjoyment and listening to music in that analytical way that we do when we are trying to deconstruct it to influence our playing.

Also, foot tapping. There is never a bad time to work on rhythm.

Jimi75
March 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Also, foot tapping. There is never a bad time to work on rhythm.

Having a melody or song in mind and foot tapping to it is a great excercise for learning rhythm. Good way to practice without a guitar at hand!

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Having a melody or song in mind and foot tapping to it is a great excercise for learning rhythm. Good way to practice without a guitar at hand!

I try to do that along with songs on the radio or in my head, tapping on the main rhythm, and often move my picking hand across the seam of my pants in time to the lowest common denominator of the rhythm of the song. What I mean by that is I might be foot tapping on quarter notes in time with a drum, and strumming my hand in eighths or 16ths or whatever I hear the guitar of fastest moving instrument doing.

hubberjub
March 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I drive between 400-500 miles per week for work. I bought one of those Grip-Masters. I have definitely seen an increase in left hand strength. I also do scales and intervals in solfege. If you are able to hear intervals it can greatly increase your ability to improvise and figure out songs by ear.

sumitomo
March 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I didn't think of this till later today but if fix cars for a living and sometimes my fingertips split from all the chemicals,grease,oil,dirt 100+ handwashings daily ect.,so somedays I cant play,heck it hurts to work,but I image the lick or riffs in my mind (keeps my mind off the pain also).Sumi:D

mcgreggor57
March 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
... I bought one of those Grip-Masters. I have definitely seen an increase in left hand strength... Similar, I use a squeeze ball. Also, since I'm struggling with strumming patterns, I try and sound them out and see how long I can keep the rhythm going.

ZMAN
March 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
If I have a computer, which I usually do, like right now. I am 600 miles from home. I usually hit You tube and check out some songs I want to learn. I can pick up the licks and actually see them in my mind as the players play them. Also some techniques of playing rythm and fills that I need drastically.
I am a visual learner and I can picture the phrases when I get home and I then use the video to perfect it. Sort of doing research while on vacation.
In the past If I am staying longer i bring a small amp and guitar, but only when I travel by auto.

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I listen to CD's with more focus on the guitar playing and trying to determine where the position is on the fret board. I guess instead of just listening, I try to visualize the way it's being played. I also take my Blues You Can Use CD as well as a couple of others with me for when I am driving to and from work. Since I use the book a lot, I can still have the picture in my mind as I listen to the short tracks and they are enjoyable to listen to (except for the drone voice between songs)

6string
March 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Here's an idea http://www.shredneck.com
I don't have one and probably never will, I have a baby taylor that
I often take in the car with me and if I'm waiting any amount of time for
someone I seat in the back seat with it.