PDA

View Full Version : Common Foods You've Never Tasted

just strum
March 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Is there any food that is common to your part of the world that you have never eaten/tasted?

For me there are things that I have never even attempted to eat or drink:

Oatmeal
Tea
Grape soda/Grape juice
Corn Beef
salami

I just ate a tomato for the first time about a year ago.

t_ross33
March 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Prairie Oysters. If you have to ask, don't :puke:

Suhnton
March 26th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Prairie Oysters. If you have to ask, don't :puke:

I guess they're the same as what we call mountain oysters.

oldguy
March 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Kidney.

just strum
March 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Kidney.

Is that common?

I saw on the food channel where they were cooking testicles and sphincter.

oldguy
March 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Heart, liver, kidney, tongue, testicles, brains, and chitterlings were commonly eaten by farmers who butchered their own livestock when I was growing up.
My father didn't believe in saving or eating kidneys or chitterlings because the former filtered toxins and the latter were, basically, a$$holes, or close to it. I didn't like brains or liver, and seldom had to eat them. Mountain oysters I could handle, likewise tongue, but seldom did I have to eat them.
Rabbit, squirrel, deer, fish, frog legs, and crawdad (crayfish) were easy to come by, and much tastier IMO. I've hunted and fished since I was about 9yrs. old. :) Rattlesnake and snappin' turtle ain't bad, either. Depends on how you were raised, and how hungry you are. Elk and buffalo are excellent, btw.

R_of_G
March 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
salami

My god, you have no idea what you're missing. Get thee to a deli!

oldguy
March 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
My god, you have no idea what you're missing. Get thee to a deli!

+1!
Corned beef? Ditto!

I also love tea........sweet tea "southern" style to green tea......it's all good.

Tone2TheBone
March 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Pancreas.

Sorry I had to say that cause we watched Ferris Bueller last night LOL (grins at Jimi ;) )

oldguy
March 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Never ate one......how do you cook it.......pan+grease? pancreas?.......
never mind.

sumitomo
March 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Come on Strum You can do it step out of the bubble,those all are pretty common everywhere.But you should try Cuy (Guinea pig) slow roasted man is it good like a real good pork lion.Sumi:D

oldguy
March 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Come on Strum You can do it step out of the bubble,those all are pretty common everywhere.But you should try Cuy (Guinea pig) slow roasted man is it good like a real good pork lion.Sumi:D

I don't know what pork lion is, but my daughter has a pet guinea pig and I'd get killed if I mentioned eating it!:eek:
(My bad.........I bet you meant pork loin......)

sumitomo
March 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't know what pork lion is, but my daughter has a pet guinea pig and I'd get killed if I mentioned eating it!:eek:
(My bad.........I bet you meant pork loin......)
Yea pork loin.You need to give your daughters cuy some extra alfalfa then treat yourself to a spring feast.Just get her another one,say I dont know wonder what happened to it.Burp!Sumi:D :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Possum. Ok that is not so common anymore, at least where I was raised. Okra then.

tjcurtin1
March 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Is there any food that is common to your part of the world that you have never eaten/tasted?

For me there are things that I have never even attempted to eat or drink:

Oatmeal
Tea
Grape soda/Grape juice
Corn Beef
salami

Good grief! What's going on out there in Ohio!? Your first TOMATO! Man, Strum, you gotta get experienced, food-wise!

piebaldpython
March 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Oatmeal
Tea
Grape soda/Grape juice
Corn Beef
salami

You're kiddin', right? :D Seriously? DAMN! :rotflmao:
I can understand that you never tried grape soda and I don't think I need to explain why. :poke: :D
Are you from the same planet as TOT? Corn beef, salami and tomatoes cut across a wide swath of White ethnic groups. It just boggles my mind that at some point, when you were a kid, that an adult didn't shove any of those food products into your face and say "Here, try this, you'll like it." :D

I've tried everything common to Philly......I might not have liked it, but I tried it.

Childbride
March 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
when i was growing up, i spent my weeks in s.a. with my parents, and my weekends, summers, and holidays with gram/paw paw. gram/paw paw had a hereford ranch and a huge garden/orchard, and so we ate everything fresh. my siblings and i had to help harvest, shuck, shell, can...

i do not do organs. of any type, 'oysters', included. [love real oysters, tho]

i ate beets as a child, but refuse now. turnips, no. hash, no.

spam, fahgeddaboudit.

i used to drink tea and coffee, but law school rotted my stomach with caffeine. can't do those out of health reasons.

i still love this time of year, b/c the produce is awesome.

loves my fruits and veggies. i can still remember walking with my grandfather with bushel barrel after bushel barrel harvesting the garden. hard work brought results, and it was a lesson learned.

Bloozcat
March 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM
"Greens..."

Collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens. The mere smell of them cooking makes me want to :puke:

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Never had pork loin.

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
You're kiddin', right? :D Seriously? DAMN! :rotflmao:
I can understand that you never tried grape soda and I don't think I need to explain why. :poke: :D
Are you from the same planet as TOT? Corn beef, salami and tomatoes cut across a wide swath of White ethnic groups. It just boggles my mind that at some point, when you were a kid, that an adult didn't shove any of those food products into your face and say "Here, try this, you'll like it." :D

I've tried everything common to Philly......I might not have liked it, but I tried it.

Nope, no kidding involved here. My grandmother once tried to sneak me crunchy peanut butter, pushed the plate back and said "I'm not eating that sh*t". I don't have to eat it, but I got my a$$ beat.

sumitomo
March 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Strum that brought back some memories,Man if we didn't eat it we wore it.Sumi:D

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Strum that brought back some memories,Man if we didn't eat it we wore it.Sumi:D

Noting what I have never tasted, I should point out that I love snails (Escargot), frog legs, and broccoli. Not really odd foods, but based on what I never tasted, people are always surprised.

piebaldpython
March 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Noting what I have never tasted, I should point out that I love snails (Escargot), frog legs, and broccoli. Not really odd foods, but based on what I never tasted, people are always surprised.

:rotflmao: I can't even stand to look at snails, clams, calimari or oysters. Instant GAG reflex.
My Mom is from Eastern European stock (Hungarian, Romanian) and she used to like to make different stews. UGH!! I'd just look at it and get queasy.
I'd force some of it down (complaining the whole time) and then say I was full and "where's dessert?". I sometimes think my Mom used to like to watch me suffer. :whatever:

tjcurtin1
March 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Strum... aside from frog legs and snails...what DO you eat?! And is your ...selectivity .... a result of family experience (as in meat and potatoes only growing up) or your own tastes? And what about the rest of your own family? Your wife never tries to trick you - I mean broaden your food experiences?

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Strum... aside from frog legs and snails...what DO you eat?! And is your ...selectivity .... a result of family experience (as in meat and potatoes only growing up) or your own tastes? And what about the rest of your own family? Your wife never tries to trick you - I mean broaden your food experiences?

Steak, I love roast beef (probably #1 meat), lobster, shrimp, crab legs, clams, salad, burgers (although limited), breakfast is my favorite meal, but again the things I like are limited. I also like spaghetti (made pretty plain because I don't like onions in my food except for salad), stew with meat, potatoes and carrots), pizza occasionally.

A couple of things that I did eat, but probably haven't had since I was 10 - pork chops and meatloaf. I remember as a kid they would make me gag and to this day I cannot stand the sight of either.