PDA

View Full Version : How Thick's Your Pick

t_ross33
March 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Probably covered before, but here's the thing...

Over the past couple of years I've been steadily increasing the thickness of the picks I use. Nothing too heavy, mind you but settled in on "M" or .73mm - .8mm and found them to be comfortable. I have been using 10s on my Tele & Strat and 11s on my HB-30.

I just had my Tele set up and decided I'd try some 9's (per original stock) on her and while it plays nice for bends and such, I wasn't getting the tone I wanted... until tonight. I grabbed a thinner pick off my acoustic, .46mm and I'm back in the game. A touch light, but better with the 9's than the .73mm.

Does anyone else vary the thickness/weight of their pick with string gauge?

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Lately, the ones I use most are my Dunlop 1.0 Ultex. On my acoustic, I still tend to use the 1.14 purple Tortex's. I like the softer attack on my acoustic strings as I tend to get less noise. I like a couple of the V-picks I have too, but I just don't use them that often. I like the thick rounded one for strumming, and the thick pointed one for picking/general. I need to throw the one I like on my acoustic (rounded) in the acoustic case, and the other one I like on my electrics in one of their cases.

markb
March 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Fender heavies for me. Celluloid for preference but plastic's fine really. I used to like those 1.14mm purple Tortex ones but the Fenders just have a bit more attack.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I agree about the Tortex vs. The Fender Heavys, which to me are a lot like the 1.0 Ultex's which have quite a bit of attack. But I like them (the tortex's) while just strumming on the acoustic.

street music
March 27th, 2009, 04:10 AM
It has really been a continued study for me at the differences in tone you get with the different picks, size and material. The v-picks I immediately noticed the many different sounds that came about and I have been experimenting since that time with several brands and thickness and shape too. Quite interesting to hear the changes.

Jimi75
March 27th, 2009, 04:26 AM
For years I use Fender Heavy Glo picks (yes, they are phosphorized and glow in the dark, at least a litte bit of RNR for a man my age).

The reason for playing this sort of pick is that while I was working for Fender I picked a bag of these picks and I guess there were about 500 of them in it, so I still got enough stock. I fear the time though when the bag is empty.

I only use very heavy picks.

Suhnton
March 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM
THICK.
Mine's about 4mm thick (sharpened to a point) and made from some kind of hardwood. Took about 2 weeks just to get used to holding it in my hand, now I won't use anything else. Gives a mellower sound as the pick attack is dampened.

Robert
March 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I like 'em fat. I use Vinnie's V-picks, or Dunlop Gator 2mm.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I like 'em fat. I use Vinnie's V-picks, or Dunlop Gator 2mm.

Robert, I am curious. Which V-pick(s) do you use mostly?

Fab4
March 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I finally settled on the purple Fender Tortex 1.14mm - not much flex, but not like a rock, either. I used the 1.14 Tortex Dunlops for a long time, but then they changed them to more of a square edge. That changed the attack, so I went to the Fenders, which seem to have a rounder edge.

Does anyone else vary the thickness/weight of their pick with string gauge?

I don't vary them for string gauge (my picking technique is bad enough without introducing that kind of variation), but when I want a really chimey strum for recording, I'll use a thin pick. The extra flappitiness of a thin pick seems to emphasize the "ching" of a strum, where a heavier pick gives you more of a "brrrang." (Does that make sense?)

kiteman
March 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I use two picks both by Dunlop, a white and a grey. :)

.46mm and .60mm.

Robert
March 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Robert, I am curious. Which V-pick(s) do you use mostly?

I use the ones he first designed. I have no idea what the model is called. It's the one pictured at the top of his website.

http://www.v-picks.com/

After I got those, he started doing a whole bunch of other ones.

marnold
March 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Well, now I'm using the V-Pick Screamer all of the time. It's 2.75mm thick. Besides the thickness and pointyness of it, I like how the material tends to give you better grip. There are certainly some tonal changes which are nice enough, but it's more the feel for me.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I use the ones he first designed. I have no idea what the model is called. It's the one pictured at the top of his website.

http://www.v-picks.com/

After I got those, he started doing a whole bunch of other ones.

I don't know the names either, but that is the one I like best overall. I like the rounded version for strumming, as it has very little string noise, but I feel like I am cheating on my technique. He also sent me a thinner one in the style you like, but that one is not all that special to me. I like the Dunlop Ultex 1.0s or Fender Heavy picks just as well as that one. Marnold, I agree with you that the grip is a big part of it.

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
It seems that I keep increasing the preferred thickness of the picks I prefer.

I use to like in the range of .60, but now prefer the range of 2. to 3. (Big Stubby).

I also have a pick that I bought some time ago and didn't really use until last night. I didn't know what kind it was until I Googled it this morning (it's marked with 208USA). I may buy some more since now that I am using it, I am sure to lose it.

http://www.music123.com/Dunlop-JD-JazzTone-208-Guitar-Picks-6-Pack-111015-i1176456.Music123

I also use a V pick occasionally (medium rounded and pointed)

Big K
March 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
56's>88's depending on the instrument and feel..

Nay
March 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I haven't really experimented all that much with picks. I generally use .73mm or thinner, i just like a little bend to my pick. After reading all this and checking out some reviews I am really interested in checking out some v picks

Fab4
March 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm assuming the answer is "yes," but do all the V-Pick users really think they're worth $4.00 each?

The Fender picks I use are $4-5 a dozen. I can afford to have a "critical mass" of them around so I always have one or two when and where I need them - in my car, in my gig bags, in my guitar cases, etc. And I can afford to wear them out and/or lose them, which I do on a regular basis.

I don't think I would want to do that with V-Picks at four bucks each...unless they're dramatically, amazingly superior to anything else. Are they? And if so, why?

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'm assuming the answer is "yes," but do all the V-Pick users really think they're worth $4.00 each?

Before this one spirals out of control, I will say that it's an individual thing. I think they are a good pick and others are higher on them and find the value worth the cost.

My favorite pick is the Big Stubby's at about $5.00 per dozen.

Edit: I don't think you will wear out a V pick, but you may lose a couple (they're clear), plus your friends might walk off with them.

marnold
March 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM

The Fender picks I use are $4-5 a dozen. I can afford to have a "critical mass" of them around so I always have one or two when and where I need them - in my car, in my gig bags, in my guitar cases, etc. And I can afford to wear them out and/or lose them, which I do on a regular basis.

I don't think I would want to do that with V-Picks at four bucks each...unless they're dramatically, amazingly superior to anything else. Are they? And if so, why?
I was in the same boat. After trying a couple I came to the conclusion that I just liked it better. For reasons, I mainly listed them here (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=118549&postcount=83). There's a bunch of other reviews in that thread as well.

TS808
March 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I use either Fender Heavy, or Clayton picks at .80 thickness. I tend to switch around with picks alot though and will use a Fender medium once in a while, or a Dunlop Tortex at .73.

Robert
March 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Actually the V-picks are only worth $3.99 but I can handle that extra cent. :D

Joking aside, assuming you don't lose picks all the time - what is $4.00 to you? A big investment, a Latte at Starbucks, a juicy hamburger, a pack of the cheapest strings you can find? I don't lose my picks very often, and I am by no means wealthy, but 4 bucks for a great pick is for me not a big investment for something that makes guitar playing more enjoyable and fun.

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Robert is known as "money is no object" so the extra penny is a drop in the bucket to him.:D

He is right, if you aren't prone to losing them at a rapid rate, $4.00 isn't a big deal and most likely you will like them. Robert and I didn't see eye to eye on this not to long ago, but I do find the picks to be nice. However, I lose picks at a very rapid rate, so I am careful with the three remaining ones I have.

Fab4
March 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Let me clarify: I don't mean to imply that a $4 pick (or a $20 pick or whatever) isn't worth the investment. If it works for you, then it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. In fact, I'd be willing to give one a try to see if it is worth it to me.

What I'm asking is "Why is it worth it to you? What do you like about them so much that they're worth the money to you?"

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Let me clarify: I don't mean to imply that a $4 pick (or a $20 pick or whatever) isn't worth the investment. If it works for you, then it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. In fact, I'd be willing to give one a try to see if it is worth it to me.

What I'm asking is "Why is it worth it to you? What do you like about them so much that they're worth the money to you?"

For me, they do seem to provide a different tone, they tend to be more versatile in attack (could explain the tone) and for some reason you can play them with a looser grip than many other picks (don't know why)

thekiwidisciple
March 30th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Dunlop Tortex 2mm :)

rev156
March 31st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Dunlop black gold 1.14 in the Jazz III size. Awesome!

Fretcruiser
April 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
2.0 baby. You have total control over the sound that you make when you hit the string. You have great recoil which makes it so much easier to play fast. My buddy had a thin pick that I tried to use...and to me it felt like I was trying to strum with a piece of paper.

wingsdad
April 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
As thick as it needs to be.:D ;)

What I mean by that wisenheimer crack is it depends on what style I'm playing and the right-hand technique it requires for attack & tone.

A constant is the shape/size. I prefer smaller, rounder, blunt-tipped types. To me, big picks and/or pointy tips are clumsy.

But as for thickness, for steel-string acoustic guitar, as I string primarily with .010-.047's or .012-.053's, for strumming, mostly .073's (mediums) for flexibilty yet enough volume, but as thin as .050 for faster, lighter, complex strums & to get the rhythmic 'raking' percussive sound in the mix. For flatpicking, single string lines or arpeggio things, I go for around .80-or-so, but no heavier.

For electrics, stringing only with .010-.046's, it's pretty much no lighter than .073's/mediums for rhythm strums, to keep the right hand light, but usually I go with .80's or 1mm's as the 'most versatile', all-purpose type.

Single string and arpeggios, though...again, to keep the right hand light and in control of attack for tonal nuances, it's:

THICK.
Mine's about 4mm thick (sharpened to a point) and made from some kind of hardwood. .... Gives a mellower sound as the pick attack is dampened.

I went with (and still go to) Dunlop Big Stubby 2 or 3mm's, but about 5 years ago, I found these 'Pickboy' exotics at my Local GAS Station. I found this link to one place that may carry them.Scroll down past the stone picks to the Bone, Ebony and Horn ones, the 3 that I have. There's also a Rosewood on the next page:

Pickboy Exotic Picks (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.204399/sc.5/category.800/.f)

They only show the thumb indent (like a Big Stubby's) side here; the other side has a nicely angled finger groove that the side of the index finger nestles nicely into. Very natural feel, and especially good to keep a firm grip as you loosen up a little to mellow things out.

The bone's the 'brightest', the ebony the 'mellowest' of the 3.

They cost me $2 each at the time I got them, but my dealer hasn't gotten them back since, although he carries a variety of Pickboys' other types.

Robert
April 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Oh Wingsdad, looking the prices on those picks, you might get in trouble with the "picks police"! :eek: :D

I'd sure like to try a rosewood pick though.

just strum
April 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Holy cow, I didn't even catch that, good thing Robert dropped a dime on you.

Man, we have to sit down and discuss this wild spending.:poke:

wingsdad
April 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Oh Wingsdad, looking the prices on those picks, you might get in trouble with the "picks police"! :eek: :D

I'd sure like to try a rosewood pick though.

:rotflmao: No way for the stone picks :eek: But, if you find 'em, at $5 US they're in the ballpark of the V-pick...

Man, we have to sit down and discuss this wild spending.:poke:

:rotflmao: Yep, I 'stretched' to drop 6 Beans on 3 picks. And had I known they were called 'Exotic', I would've passed on them, because they sure didn't do any kind of pole dance when I fixed my gaze on them. :crazyguy: But you know how it is, amigo...sometimes, ya just 'gotta have it'. :poke:

But...at $5 each today instead of the $2 I paid? I'd pass & go for a dozen of your faves, the Big Stubby. Of course, you know my relationship with my Local GAS Station, and they wouldn't be $5, either. I might have to go all the way to $3, and pull this out of the back of my wallet to cover one:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Cinton3DollarBillfront.jpg

bek
April 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I had gone along for quite awhile using only the big Fender Heavy picks and Clayton 1.0 that were the same size, on every guitar and string gauge. I tried the V-Pick starting with the Freakishly Large Rounded one and I liked it but wanted more snap. Then I used the Big Fattie but it's pretty big and I wasn't sure what I thought, and it doesn't snap for me, either. I like the Screamer better yet, and I think the Dimension will be good for me, too. There's some snap in those. I usually just keep the big Fenders in my pocket and use those, as I'm too cheap to want to maybe lose a V-Pick. Anyway, a real good indication of something the V is good for came up the other day when I was playing my Strat and wanted more meat in the tone. I picked up a V-Pick and there it was! It was kind of like turning up the midrange tone on your amp. Very nice.

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Dunlop Lucky 13 So Cal 1.0.

Spudman
April 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'm consistently either a 1.0 Tortex or a 2.0 Big Stubby. Occasionally I'll break out the iceberg sized V Pick and I can't tell how thick those are.

Tone2TheBone
April 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Been playing the thick purple and blue 1.5 and 2.0 picks from Dunlop lately and loving them. Also love the thick pick I got from Vinni.

sunvalleylaw
April 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'm consistently either a 1.0 Tortex or a 2.0 Big Stubby. Occasionally I'll break out the iceberg sized V Pick and I can't tell how thick those are.

Have you tried a dunlop Ultex yet? Kinda like the Tortex, but a little less "gummy" and seem to have a brighter sound to me.

Viking Power
April 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Wow, I am blown away by the rampant use of "thick picks"!

My instructor has told me previously, "the thicker the better" and I have tended to disagree (mostly out of ignorance). My experimentation with pick thicknesses since picking up the guitar in January of this year are leading me to wander which pick is best for my current scenario. My lone axe at this point is a steel string acoustic and it SEEMS that the thicker picks produce a duller sound. Is this correct? Having said that the thinner picks I've tried .73 and under seem "floppy" though very quick on the attack.

Thanks for the interesting thread though guys!:master: Always great to come here and read of new ideas, theories & experiences.:beer:

Tone2TheBone
April 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Wow, I am blown away by the rampant use of "thick picks"!

My instructor has told me previously, "the thicker the better" and I have tended to disagree (mostly out of ignorance). My experimentation with pick thicknesses since picking up the guitar in January of this year are leading me to wander which pick is best for my current scenario. My lone axe at this point is a steel string acoustic and it SEEMS that the thicker picks produce a duller sound. Is this correct? Having said that the thinner picks I've tried .73 and under seem "floppy" though very quick on the attack.

Thanks for the interesting thread though guys!:master: Always great to come here and read of new ideas, theories & experiences.:beer:

I prefer medium thickness to heavy thickness for acoustic playing and you can alter the brighter tones from the guitar by playing on the fat flatter end of the pick instead of the pointy end. Fat flatter end perpendicular to the strings when strummed make the guitar's brightness come through with shimmer.

birv2
April 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I just bought a couple sets of the Dunlop ultex, mainly because of recommendations here. I have been using Fender medium celluloids (triangle shape, both tortoise and white, and has anybody else noticed that the tortoise and white produce slightly different tones?). I also use the Dunlop 2.0 stubbies from time to time.

Anyway, I got a set of the ultex .73's and a set of the 1.0's. So far I like them a lot and will take them to the jam tomorrow night to test them out live. They both give a nice crisp response, with the 1's giving a bit more bass.

I haven't taken the plunge to V-picks, mainly because of the price but also that clear thing makes me positive I will lose them!

Carlström
April 30th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I use 1mm GrippX-XB delrin picks from Intunegp.com for electric guitar and bass (!!!), yes i know i'm very odd using so thin picks for bass but i like the sound it gives and also how i feel the strings better through the pick (of course i play fingerstyle bass alot aswell). Same thing goes for electric really, i dont like thicker than 1mm because it makes me feel disconnected from the strings when i hit them. For acoustic i use .73 mm, same type of pick.

bigG
April 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
This may be interesting (or dumb on my part), but I've never bought a pick - ever. I'm from the old school when guitar shops had bowls of free picks sitting on the counter! When I got back into playing guitar seriously about 2 1/2 years ago, I was amazed that free picks were no longer the norm!

I've just always used "mediums" by whoever makes 'em. When I buy a guitar or a piece of gear locally, I'm always offered a few free picks, and asked what thickness. Mediums, says I, and I get 4 or 5 given to me.

I have tried thins - don't like 'em. Thicks either.

That's my story, but then again I'm an old fart, and paying for picks seems outrageous to me!:)

P.J.
May 11th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I like the green and purple Clayton tortex picks and the 1.52 mm Clayton acetyl picks. The tortex have some snap to them and the acetyls are very round and full sounding.

=-) PJ

pes_laul
May 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I use the green dunlop tortex (88. mm I think) I want to try a V pick but cant get one Because I cant order stuff off internet (Im just a kid)

stiggowitz
May 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Been playing dunlop 207's and love
the way they roll off the strings.
s.

sunvalleylaw
May 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
How thick is my pick? Sometimes mine feels as:

toHlMD50eYY

Sorry, late night free associational thought humour. ;) :D

ibanezjunkie
May 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
1.14mm for pinch harmonics and solos.

yeeeahhs.

Rampant
May 15th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hey guys

Fairly new to guitaring, and have tried a fair few different picks, but nothing thicker than 1.0mm. So far I prefer Dunlop Gator Grips either .58 or .71mm.
(My electric is on 10s, and my acoustic is on 11s, if that detail matters?!)

Cheerz

Mark H

ibanezjunkie
May 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
just as a comparison...

i used to cheat with tremolo picking and use dunlop USA 0.38mm picks (the sub-paper-thin white ones, with i still use for some strummy/chordy stuff)

now ive evolved into using much larger picks (1.14mm-2.4mm) to get some real nice twang and some real nice pinch harmonics.

:rockon: :rockon: :dude:

ShootTheGlass
May 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I was persuaded by my guitar teacher to persist with the small jazz 3 Dunlops. At first I found them hard to use, as I tend to dig into the strings pretty hard. But Im so used to them now that any "normal" pick feels too weird.

M29
May 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
The old Fender mediums

M29

ragnarpk
May 25th, 2009, 05:13 AM
dunlop 0.88mm. green. its the only way to go.

except sometimes for bass i use an enormous 3mm one. because i'm that cool.

WhatsGoodDee
May 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I usually use a Dunlop 1mm Blue for my guitar and bass but now have been starting to use a Dunlop .73 Yellow for my acoustic. Dunlop .88 Green for my electric and just using the 1mm Blue's for my bass.

TS808
May 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I recently tried something a little different...I was using Clayton acetyl picks .80 and found them to be very bright sounding, so matter how I eq'd my amp. I went to a slightly thicker Fender Heavy pick and the tonal difference was VERY noticeable...no more of those super bright highs....more mellow. It's taking some getting used to using a thicker pick, but I prefer the tones I get with the Fender Heavy.