PDA

View Full Version : Orange Crush Amp

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 4th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Has Anyone Trie One Of The Orange Crush Amps ..wondering How The Sound . Etc ..6s9l

Nelskie
November 4th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Used to have a Orange CR10 "Crush" amp. Cool little bugger. Got lotsa' nice comments on its cosmetics. It just wasn't cuttin' it for me tone-wise, so I sold it on Ebay last year for $80. Soundwise - it's kinda' "boxy" - you know, like hollow, and without any real depth. Low cleans were the best of the stock / non-pedal assisted sounds; mids - a bit "farty"; and high-end - very transistor-y. I used to run a Zoom 505II or a Danelectro Fab Tone with just to get a few decent sounds out of it. The overdrive on it was woefully bland - but it's a practice-only rig, mind you. Not like you're gonna' conjure up some "Back In The Saddle" or "Just Got Paid" type distortion with it - just your basic hamburger on a bun-type distortion. IMHO - no frills, few thrills. I think these are running around $90 to $100 on Ebay these days. If you're looking for a small practice amp, do yourself a favor - throw the extra $20, and get yourself a killer 5W Epiphone Valve Jr. tube amp. Not only can you "mod" it if you want, it'll blow that Orange right out of the building sound / tone-wise. Plus, if you do tweak it a bit, there's no reason you couldn't mike it, and maybe use it for smaller gigs. And for home practice sessions . . . whoooa! This little box totally COOKS! :cool: You'll play it for hours on end.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 7th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Nelskie, the reviews on the epi's all rave about it , general concensus is that it would be a great amp for 500.00, the fact that they are so inexpensive is too much... i'm almost sold . I was wondering if the little orange amp could conjure up some of the magic that the orange amps of the 70's had ..you andwered my question, but i still love the cosmetics..6S9L

Nelskie
November 7th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah - the cosmetics were what lured me to that amp in the first place. And it isn't a bad amp for that matter - just that it's mostly an Orange in name, and not really in tone. Not sure if you're familiar with Jake E. Lee (former lead guitarist for Ozzy, and then for the Badlands), but when I saw him live w/ the Badlands, he had (2) custom-designed Orange 100W heads running through (2) 4x12 cabs, and dude - - his sound was absolutely amazing. Loud as all get-out, too!! I know some of that was guitar / p'ups, but that's what first keyed me in on Orange amps and their killer tone. Anyways, the Epi's are really cool, and a lot of bang for the buck - much more so than Orange's small amp line.