PDA

View Full Version : Replacement speakers Jensen Mod vs. Weber Signature

schenkadere
March 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Both economically priced...any experience with either? Thanks.

marnold
March 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I put a little MOD in my son's Peavey Blazer. It's a lot better than the stock (which, granted, is damning with faint praise). The clean sound is remarkably nice now. Still not sold on the overdrive entirely, but if you've got good clean you can do just about anything via pedals.

mrmudcat
March 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Weber makes great speakers!!!!

So much on deciding:thwap: ;)

jim p
March 28th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I do not have a sound comparison but from what I can see from the specifications the Mod 10-50 has a 1 ¼ voice coil while the Webers are 1”. The larger the voice coil the more dampened the speaker so not as peaky, less highs. A bigger voice coil also has more mass that will dampen the speaker somewhat also(cut the highs). This may not be a lot if you go to Jensen’s web site and look at the frequency plots for the Mod 10-35 that has a 1” voice coil vs. the 10-50 with a 1 ¼” coil the 10-35 has a slightly higher peak at 2kHz. But that bigger coil may make the speakers output more dispersed so it might be less boxy then the Weber. On the Weber side it should be a ribbed cone model ceramic 10S or Alnico 10S for comparison because the Mod cone is ribbed. The Ted Weber Q and A section has information on some of this also this web site http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/05_speakers_2.html
That talks about speaker construction and its effect on sound. The information at this web site leads me to the conclusion that a guitar cabinet should have 10 inch speakers for the low end and 6 inch speakers for the highs with a crossover to balance them out.

schenkadere
March 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Are these geared more toward a vintage sound?

larryx
April 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hello gang, Well the whole speaker thing is also subjective to playing style and yer set up, as well as all the technical crap ola. I have tried several speaks in the little amp configuration. Weber cheep speaks to me were ice picky. The Jensen vintage ice picky. The Weber Vintage (tonal bliss!) Weber Blue Pup (tonal bliss) both of these would make any amp sound better. All of the 20 to 35 watt speaks in the $30-$50 price range sounded thin and ice picky to me IMHO.
The rule has been "the higher the power rating on a speaker the warmer the sound of the speaker" This of course is not always the case. The Celestion Vintage 30 (60watt)have and Classic Lead(80watt) have a mid range "chirp" that'll give you a pretty good stap in the ear!

I don't know about the rest of the folks out there, but most 10's are by nature a pretty ice picky speaker. Especially in the Crate V5 even after the mods. So anything to get it sounding like a bigger better speaker (without busting the wallet) would be helpfull. I tried the good Webers but could not justify using them in this amp. I tried the Jensen VR's too brittle, The Weber sig. just didn't do it after the Pup and Web Vintage30 watters. Some one mentioned the Jensen MOD to me and I thought to give them a try. OH MAN! WHAT A SPEAKER! I tried 10-35,50,70 and overall with my pedalboard and style/settings I got just what I was looking for in the Jensen MOD10-70! Beautiful full sounding speaker. No fake farty lows here or shrill highs. A perfect balance of all frequencies. I even plugged it into an assortment of all tube el84,el34,and 6l6 rigs that I have. And that little speaker in that V5 cab killed!! Sounds like a freakin 12 inch greenback!! If anyone is looking for the best bang for the buck in a replacement speakers look no further than the Jensen MOD line. I have a basement full of Celestion,Eminence,W.G.S. and Weber speakers in a variety of configurations. I couldn't be happier with the choice that I made buying the MOD 10-70. I even went back and bought 2 MOD 12-70's for my modded V-33 212 for $110 bucks brand new in the box!!. I was thinking about getting on the W.G.S. Green Beret bandwagon and thought I would give the MOD's a try 1st. Man am I glad I did! It's always nice to find a new jewel of a speaker and a great deal to boot!!!!:AOK:

schenkadere
April 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hello gang, Well the whole speaker thing is also subjective to playing style and yer set up, as well as all the technical crap ola. I have tried several speaks in the little amp configuration. Weber cheep speaks to me were ice picky. The Jensen vintage ice picky. The Weber Vintage (tonal bliss!) Weber Blue Pup (tonal bliss) both of these would make any amp sound better. All of the 20 to 35 watt speaks in the $30-$50 price range sounded thin and ice picky to me IMHO.
The rule has been "the higher the power rating on a speaker the warmer the sound of the speaker" This of course is not always the case. The Celestion Vintage 30 (60watt)have and Classic Lead(80watt) have a mid range "chirp" that'll give you a pretty good stap in the ear!

I don't know about the rest of the folks out there, but most 10's are by nature a pretty ice picky speaker. Especially in the Crate V5 even after the mods. So anything to get it sounding like a bigger better speaker (without busting the wallet) would be helpfull. I tried the good Webers but could not justify using them in this amp. I tried the Jensen VR's too brittle, The Weber sig. just didn't do it after the Pup and Web Vintage30 watters. Some one mentioned the Jensen MOD to me and I thought to give them a try. OH MAN! WHAT A SPEAKER! I tried 10-35,50,70 and overall with my pedalboard and style/settings I got just what I was looking for in the Jensen MOD10-70! Beautiful full sounding speaker. No fake farty lows here or shrill highs. A perfect balance of all frequencies. I even plugged it into an assortment of all tube el84,el34,and 6l6 rigs that I have. And that little speaker in that V5 cab killed!! Sounds like a freakin 12 inch greenback!! If anyone is looking for the best bang for the buck in a replacement speakers look no further than the Jensen MOD line. I have a basement full of Celestion,Eminence,W.G.S. and Weber speakers in a variety of configurations. I couldn't be happier with the choice that I made buying the MOD 10-70. I even went back and bought 2 MOD 12-70's for my modded V-33 212 for $110 bucks brand new in the box!!. I was thinking about getting on the W.G.S. Green Beret bandwagon and thought I would give the MOD's a try 1st. Man am I glad I did! It's always nice to find a new jewel of a speaker and a great deal to boot!!!!:AOK:

I couldn't be happier with my Warehouse Veteran...if I ever desire a change, I'll go for the Jensen Mod for sure.

larryx
April 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
I am finding some amazing sounding 10 inch speakers out there! And most of them for under 60 bucks! At these prices you can buy more than one type or brand to mix and match. A much more affordable speaker than most in the 12 inch range. When I was a kid the thought of a ten inch speaker was just asking for an ice pick in the ear. Now there are so many flavors! It's great! So if your lookin for 1x 2x 4x 8x. There are deals to be found! I have become a big fan of the Jensen mod line. Also nobody can beat the sound of a Weber Blue Pup or Vintage series 10. Celestion still seems to think that their 10inch speaks are worth the money . Well think again! There's a new 10 inch speaker in town partna! And it don't have no funny accent neeeether! Maybe a mid west one.Or even an eye talian one !:dude: