PDA

View Full Version : Using the AD30VT as a cab for the BH

just strum
March 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Is there any reason I can't disconnect the speaker in the AD30VT and reconnect it to the Blackheart when it arrives?

I'm not sure of the speaker I want to install in the empty Advent cabs I have, so I was thinking of just using the AD30VT as a cab until I decide.

Any thoughts, cautions, suggestions?

TS808
March 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Is there any reason I can't disconnect the speaker in the AD30VT and reconnect it to the Blackheart when it arrives?

I'm not sure of the speaker I want to install in the empty Advent cabs I have, so I was thinking of just using the AD30VT as a cab until I decide.

Any thoughts, cautions, suggestions?

If your Blackheart is a head, you would need to have 1/4" plugs at the end of the speaker's cable to connect it to the head. Does the Vox have that, or is the speaker wired right into the chassis?

just strum
March 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
If your Blackheart is a head, you would need to have 1/4" plugs at the end of the speaker's cable to connect it to the head. Does the Vox have that, or is the speaker wired right into the chassis?

The speaker has two connectors that slip over the tabs on the speaker.

ted s
March 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Impedance matching aside, no reason why not, I did the same with my valve jr. head and Traynor combo.

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I was going to put in a 1/4" jack in my AD30VT at one time for just that reason.

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I was going to put in a 1/4" jack in my AD30VT at one time for just that reason.

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing if there wasn't any reason that it shouldn't be done. I was thinking about installing an A/B switch so to switch back and forth, but then I figured that was overkill. The whole electronics things is a very gray area for me.

Mr Grumpy
March 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I too was going to do this when I had an AD30 - was going to fit a plate to the rear with 2 x 1/4" jacks in and patch them together when using it, the theory being if I got a small head (was going to get a VJ head) I could use the AD30 as a cab OR could use the other side to connect the AD3o to a bigger cab. Never got round to it and sold it anyway.

tot_Ou_tard
March 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I too was going to do this when I had an AD30 - was going to fit a plate to the rear with 2 x 1/4" jacks in and patch them together when using it, the theory being if I got a small head (was going to get a VJ head) I could use the AD30 as a cab OR could use the other side to connect the AD3o to a bigger cab. Never got round to it and sold it anyway.
My plan was similar. Two jacks: one in the other out so the AC30VT could be used as a head as well. Too complicated. I gave up on the idea.

tunghaichuan
March 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Which Blackheart are you getting, Strum? I seemed to have missed that somehow.

As long as you match the impedance, it should be okay.

The only caveat I can see is that the Vox is a modelling amp. The speaker in it is probably very neutral sounding much like a hifi speaker. The tone may not be the best. But as long as you're not trying to push too much wattage through the speaker and you match the impedance correctly, you should be fine.

tung

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Which Blackheart are you getting, Strum? I seemed to have missed that somehow.

As long as you match the impedance, it should be okay.

The only caveat I can see is that the Vox is a modelling amp. The speaker in it is probably very neutral sounding much like a hifi speaker. The tone may not be the best. But as long as you're not trying to push too much wattage through the speaker and you match the impedance correctly, you should be fine.

tung

I am getting the Blackheart Little Giant head - picked it up for $100. I replaced the stock speaker in the AD30VT with a Rajun Cajun speaker.

I have two Advent speaker cabs that I plan on using as soon as I decide what speakers to put in them (maybe just one cab for now). They take a 12" speaker, but I haven't really looked into good options for speaker choice.

tunghaichuan
March 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I am getting the Blackheart Little Giant head - picked it up for $100. I replaced the stock speaker in the AD30VT with a Rajun Cajun speaker.

Doh! Never mind, I saw that. I was blocking it out of my memory as I was totally jealous. :D

The Rajun Cajun should be fine, and it should sound really good.

I have two Advent speaker cabs that I plan on using as soon as I decide what speakers to put in them (maybe just one cab for now). They take a 12" speaker, but I haven't really looked into good options for speaker choice.

Don't use the hifi speakers in the Advent cabs, you'll burn them out in a hurry. Hifi speakers are not made to stand the abuse dished out by a guitar amp.

With the Little Giant, you can pretty much use any guitar speaker that is over 15 watts.

tung

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Don't use the hifi speakers in the Advent cabs, you'll burn them out in a hurry. Hifi speakers are not made to stand the abuse dished out by a guitar amp.

With the Little Giant, you can pretty much use any guitar speaker that is over 15 watts.

tung

The old speakers are gone, I am planning on getting something from the Eminence line or Celestion or entertain recommendations.