PDA

View Full Version : Amp advice please - Peavey content

markb
March 27th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'm looking for a light, loud and decent sounding amp to haul along to local jams when I've no car. I thought about a Pro Junior but all valve amps are out of my current price range. I've a chance of a Peavey Envoy 110, Transtube (TM), 40w, 10" speaker, cheap. Anyone care to tell me what they're like?

piebaldpython
March 28th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I thought this sounded familiar; :D

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5438&highlight=peavey+envoy+110

schenkadere
March 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I'm looking for a light, loud and decent sounding amp to haul along to local jams when I've no car. I thought about a Pro Junior but all valve amps are out of my current price range. I've a chance of a Peavey Envoy 110, Transtube (TM), 40w, 10" speaker, cheap. Anyone care to tell me what they're like?

How local? I mean how far are you going to be carrying this thing?

If you're going to walking great distances, get a Roland Micro Cube(awesome amp, great models, built in effects) and go direct out to the PA.;)

Spudman
March 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
The Roland Cubes are pretty sweet and light weight. What is your price range? Many great used tube amps can be found for reasonable prices but they'll be a tad heavier to carry.

markb
March 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Tube amps are out. A 15w tube amp would do the job but this is New Zealand not the US or Europe. Prices are absurdly high. A new Pro Junior is at least NZ$900 (before the price increase). They're rare used, the last one I saw for sale went for over $600.
I tried a Cube 30x the other day, great tones but I don't think it'll cut it on stage. Likewise The VOX VT30.
I was really looking for people's thoughts on Peavey Transtubes in general and the 40w, 1x10 in particular. My experience with older Peaveys is that their amps are usually loud for their rating. I usually run my Tm60's volume a little past halfway at this jam.

birv2
March 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I posted in the other thread. I actually have reacquired possession of the amp from my son (mwahaha). I have both the Pro Jr and the Envoy. They're both good for grab and go, but I've really been impressed lately with the Envoy. My PJ was in the shop and I took the Peavey to the blues jam. Sounded great! I used the clean channel and a Boss SD-1 pedal.

The more I play it, the more I like it. And although the Transtube isn't exactly like a tube/valve amp, it comes pretty close.

My only complaint is that it's not very loud on the clean channel, so you have to run a pedal or boost in front of it, or use the distortion channel on the amp. My 15-watt PJ blows the 40W Peavey out of the water, volume-wise.

I don't know what kind of music you play, but it's got 5 different voicings (2 clean and 3 distortion), pre and post gain on the distortion side, 3-band EQ for both channels, and reverb. And it's light. For your purpose, I'd say grab it and go!

Bob

:dude:

markb
March 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hmm, not very loud on the clean channel? Oh well, I can always buy cheap and sell it on if it doesn't work out. My local jam covers blues, rock, reggae, soul and funk usually but it depends who turns up. Thanks for the input, Bob.

birv2
March 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hmm, not very loud on the clean channel? Oh well, I can always buy cheap and sell it on if it doesn't work out. My local jam covers blues, rock, reggae, soul and funk usually but it depends who turns up.

Use your Cool Cat OD as a boost.

Spudman
March 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The Peavey Trans Tube Bandit is a great amp to look at. Plenty of swat.

street music
March 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Roland 30 would be my pick in that range, lots of effects and amp settings.

Duff49
March 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Just a thought.

You could take an old backpack frame and rig it up to carry the amp on your back so you wouldn't have to carry it off to the side for a great distance. Plus you could put other stuff on the backpack frame, as needed, even a rain cover.

I know I have at least one old backpack hanging around that I won't use because it's ripped or something. You might have one around that you can salvage the frame from to make a amp carrying rig out of.

That way you could go with an all tube little amp like the Crate Palamino V8; probably available used at good prices. My V8 is light and less bulky than the Fender Blues Jr or Pro Jr and is LOUD.

Just a little effort saving idea with the backpack frame carrying rig.

Hope this doesn't sound too foolish; but I don't really care. I think it's a good idea for someone doing a lot of walking and would work great in any weather with a rain cover.

Duffy

kiteman
March 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Just a thought.

You could take an old backpack frame and rig it up to carry the amp on your back so you wouldn't have to carry it off to the side for a great distance. Plus you could put other stuff on the backpack frame, as needed, even a rain cover.

I know I have at least one old backpack hanging around that I won't use because it's ripped or something. You might have one around that you can salvage the frame from to make a amp carrying rig out of.

That way you could go with an all tube little amp like the Crate Palamino V8; probably available used at good prices. My V8 is light and less bulky than the Fender Blues Jr or Pro Jr and is LOUD.

Just a little effort saving idea with the backpack frame carrying rig.

Hope this doesn't sound too foolish; but I don't really care. I think it's a good idea for someone doing a lot of walking and would work great in any weather with a rain cover.

Duffy

Good thought and good idea. I'd go for that.

I remember taking a bus toting my guitar and amp. My arms gets weary.

wingsdad
March 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
...I was really looking for people's thoughts on Peavey Transtubes in general and the 40w, 1x10 in particular. My experience with older Peaveys is that their amps are usually loud for their rating. I usually run my Tm60's volume a little past halfway at this jam.

I've had several Peavey amps, and since my Local GAS Station is a Peavey dealer, I've sampled even more, many of the TransTubes. As for the TransTubes, I had a 258EFX (25W, 8" Blue Marvel,now the Rage 258 w/ no FX onboard). Good little amp, and with the 'character' switch in 'Vintage' mode, it's no T21 TM60, but it does cross the line toward simulating tube tone decently.

So as a grab n' go amp for your jam, the Envoy 110 at about 30 lbs would be worth the shot, as you say, to buy cheap and sell it on if it falls short. It's got footswitchable boost, and that might help the Clean channel get some 'huevos'. I looked up the switch...it's a 2 button, TRS plug stereo job...
Peavey 3-button Stereo footswitch (http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116795/2-Button%20Stereo%20Footswitch.cfm)
do you have such a switch you use with your ME50? If so, you could try it out with the Envoy, if it cuts the mustard, then you could consider a switch to dedicate to the Envoy if you're not using the ME50 with it.

I've played a Bandit often to try out guitars in the store. It's hardly a grab n' go amp at 50 lbs. ...heavier than your TM60 (about 35 lbs.).

TS808
March 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM
The older transtube amps (the first series that were black and silver and before the red stripe series) are the ones I really like. If you can get hold of an Express 112 or Studio Pro 112 (both 65 watts) go for it. Nice amps.

birv2
March 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to clarify my comment about the volume on the clean channel. It's only "not very loud" at a jam with a pretty loud drummer. As I suggested, if you use a pedal as a boost, you should be fine.

They're pretty nice amps, and they're also light!

schenkadere
March 30th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Tube amps are out. A 15w tube amp would do the job but this is New Zealand not the US or Europe. Prices are absurdly high. A new Pro Junior is at least NZ$900 (before the price increase). They're rare used, the last one I saw for sale went for over $600.
I tried a Cube 30x the other day, great tones but I don't think it'll cut it on stage. Likewise The VOX VT30.
I was really looking for people's thoughts on Peavey Transtubes in general and the 40w, 1x10 in particular. My experience with older Peaveys is that their amps are usually loud for their rating. I usually run my Tm60's volume a little past halfway at this jam.

If the Cube 30x doesn't cut it for you, neither will the Envoy. Find a used Bandit...Transtube or earlier...as long as you're not lugging it too far.

markb
March 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Still looking. I may buy the Cube just because it's good. I'd buy a VOX AD30VT or VT30 but I still get hung up on the UI. I mean, four volume controls!

SuperSwede
March 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Mark, have you considered the Tech21 TM30? Same sweet tone as your TM60 but with a lower weight.

schenkadere
March 31st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Still looking. I may buy the Cube just because it's good. I'd buy a VOX AD30VT or VT30 but I still get hung up on the UI. I mean, four volume controls!

The Cube 60 isn't heavy and it will do a small gig. You wouldn't even have to bring pedals...just the Cube and your axe.

I don't think the Trademark 30 will cut it unless mic'd. But, yes, a very nice, feature rich amp...and very light.

markb
March 31st, 2009, 08:27 PM
The Cube 60 isn't heavy and it will do a small gig. You wouldn't even have to bring pedals...just the Cube and your axe.

And that's just what I bought. I'm going to start another thread comparing Cube models. I've tried a few today.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

tunghaichuan
March 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM
And that's just what I bought. I'm going to start another thread comparing Cube models. I've tried a few today.

How about the Cube 80X?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBE80X

It is only 1.5kg heaver than the 60.

tung

markb
March 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
How about the Cube 80X?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLCUBE80X

It is only 1.5kg heaver than the 60.

tung

Patience, Grasshopper :)

markb
April 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
Purchase rationalisation thread here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11059).