PDA

View Full Version : phase wiring questions

Nay
March 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hey,
I'm new the forum, but I've been reading some stuff on the forum lately about phase wiring.
Recently I changed the pickups in what is essentially a telecaster. I bought it off my brother who was told it was a broadcaster reissue. I have not found a serial number and I have not found much info on broadcaster reissues in general which leads me to believe it is fake. Nonetheless I still like the guitar a lot...

Anyways this is the first time I really "customized" a guitar. So, I put the pickups in and I found some locking tuners for cheap. When I was putting the locking tuners in I accidentally broke the pickup selector switch. I went to buy a new one and I decided it would be cool to put a gibson switch in rather than a fender switch. Once I installed this i noticed that when I used the bridge and neck pickup together they sounded out of phase.

Now I want to buy a push pull pot so I can select in phase and out of phase wiring. This may be a dumb question, but will this still work with this switch? I thought normally all pickups were wired in phase and then you could get a switch to have them out of phase. In this case it sounds as though the neck and bridge pickup alone are in phase but out of phase together. I don't know many details of in phase and out of phase in general, so please enlighten me.

Lastly if I decided to go with a push pull pot opposed to a switch what resistance should I get? I never really understood what difference the resistance of the pot made.

Thanks

markb
March 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Use a 250K pot for single coils unless the guitar sounds very dark. Higher pot values allow more top end through. I once had a Tokai tele with 1M pots in it. It was painfully thin sounding. A pull switch will work for phase switching see www.seymourduncan.com for wiring diagrams.

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
http://duhvoodooman.com/musical/humbucker_mods/phase_switch.gif

Nay
March 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys

Nay
April 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
So, I finally got my push pull pot and I installed it using this schematic: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tele_phase

When I got done with everything I tried it out. With the push pull pot down everything worked how it did before. When I pulled it up the bridge pickup and the combination of the bridge and neck pickup did not make a sound. The neck pickup sounded the same when the switch was pushed in and pulled out.
I checked over my work several times and its the same as far as I can see as the schematic. I do seem to have one extra wire coming off my tone pot onto my volume pot, but I do not see how this would affect anything with the phase switching.

Any suggestions?

Nay
April 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Anyone? I want to get this thing put back together asap.

marnold
April 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Can you post a picture? Double check that you have everything wired properly. The phase switch should have no audible effect unless you are in the middle position.

Nay
April 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I'm going to try and mess around with it a little more tomorrow and then if it still doesn't work Ill post some pictures. There are so many wires in such a small place, I don't know if anyone can actually see what is going on haha.