PDA

View Full Version : This one was "an almost" lifes odd turn

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I got a scare myself just over an hour ago. It is in the mid 50's here and I decided to take the plow off the tractor and cut down all of the ornamental grass. I then got ambitious and started cutting down the high weed/grass around the two ponds. After all the cutting, I hooked the trailer to the tractor and began raking up the cuttings and loading them into the trailer, dumping them in the back of my property.

I went back in the garage, filled some bike tires and car tires with air, reeled up the extension chords and as I was just finishing up I started feeling funny.

I come into the house, grab two aspirin and begin chewing them. Go upstairs and hook myself up to the blood pressure machine and it's reading 175 over 97 and a pulse of 95. At the time I am feeling pain in my upper arms and the side of my chest.

I finally got it down to 117/73 with my pulse at 85.

I thought I was going to be headed to the hospital, but fortunately it appears I just over exerted myself. Sort of diving into yard work without some light spring training.

I'll make a Doctors appointment on Monday and have it checked out. He will yell at me, tell me how to eat and live, and then I will start some sort of program.

Blaze
March 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Come on Strum , we ll all yell at you ..((((You have to keep yourself in shape)))..

My own personnel way to stay in good shape ,simple, it s to have an evereyday 30 minutes speed walking ,can not run cause i have bad knees ..

I ve been doin it for 6 years and now i like so much to go doin my run after dinner ,make me relaxe too ..My doc is satisfied and my pressure no 1 ....

Take care of you ...:AOK:

tjcurtin1
March 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I've had a couple pf those 'first warm day get out and work - and zonk myself' moments myself - very unpleasant! I'm glad it wasn't serious!

Rocket
March 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm sensing a recurring theme!

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
You're right Blazes. I use to walk two to three miles every weekday and three to four on Saturday and Sunday. Like you, my knees won't take running.

The company I work for provides $300 a year for the rental or purchase of exercise equipment or health club membership. I will have to take advantage of the offer.

I've read often that you need to do warm ups before tackling yard work, no different then warming up for exercises. I should have worked my way into the tasks today, but was just foolish.

Blaze
March 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
The company I work for provides $300 a year for the rental or purchase of exercise equipment or health club membership. I will have to take advantage of the offer.

Yes you should ..

Should play a little golf too ,well I should nt say that golf is why i have bad knees..It s a nice 5hrs walk in the park tho..

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm sensing a recurring theme!

you are?

street music
March 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Strum? DON'T TRY AND IGNORE THOSE SYMPTOMS! That is not anything to mess around with. A blockage can creep up on you fast, my neighbor just found out last week that she has 2-100% and an 70%.
Get that appointment or go to ER!

bigoldron
March 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Mark, don't you dare screw around and not go to the doctor. Your condition could be a lot worse than you think. It's not worth taking a chance, dude, 'cause we want you to hang around for a while longer.

sumitomo
March 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Strum get to that health club,we need ya around here!and after your workout at the gym you can relax in the dry saunna with a Guitar Player mag or one of the other's.Sumi:D

just strum
March 28th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Easy folks, I'll be fine. Just got a little carried away today and I will make a doctors appointment on Monday.

I'm not letting you guys take advantage of a sudden sale on guitars and amps.

Been down this road before and I know the warning signs.

Blaze
March 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm not letting you guys take advantage of a sudden sale on guitars and amps.

Like this one

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-GIBSON-ES-335-W0QQAdIdZ111516054

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/kj/09/3/5/995/r6/7713m0i_20.jpeg

street music
March 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Mark just in case have your wife send her cell phone number to me, we could have a huge yard sale. "OLE BUDDY".:rotflmao:

piebaldpython
March 29th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I've read often that you need to do warm ups before tackling yard work, no different then warming up for exercises. I should have worked my way into the tasks today, but was just foolish.

Strum foolish?????????? Nah, no way. :rotflmao: Good luck to you Strum and just do what the Doc says. Right before I went on vacation last summer I had my BP checked, on a whime, and it was sky high (160/100). Dude, was I shocked! Ta-da...I'm now on two different BP meds.

My thought for you is that you may have to do things in moderation or at a more comfortable pace and not running around like a speed-demon trying to accomplish everything in a limited space of time. Lesson well learned here.

Walking is good, but for the drudgeries of yard work......that is more akin to lifting weights........a short, powerful exertion. I lift 3 times a week (2 sets of 6 different exercises) and I am reaping the benefits of that. Mrs PBP likes the improved look too. :AOK:

luvmyshiner
March 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Strum, Strum, Strum, what are we gonna' do with you brother. That's what happens when you drive your tractor with clothes on!:D

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/20060920174509990046.jpg

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Well, I performed step one and threw away my "The Elvis Recipe Book"

sunvalleylaw
March 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Take care of yourself there Strummy!

ted s
March 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Get that looked after Mark, we need you for the first annual fretters gathering at the R&RHOF this summer !

Rocket
March 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Been down this road before and I know the warning signs.
Hence the "recurring theme".

just strum
March 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hence the "recurring theme".

I see.

On a positive note: Today's BP and pulse reading is:

117/73 and pulse at 71

Kazz
March 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I see.

On a positive note: Today's BP and pulse reading is:

117/73 and pulse at 71

What did the doctor say today Mark?

just strum
March 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
What did the doctor say today Mark?

"I am out of the office on Monday's, please contact our office Tuesday thru Saturday. If you are knocking on heavens door, please try to put it off until we are back in the office"