PDA

View Full Version : Is learning guitar and bass at the same time detrimental?

Fardeen
March 29th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hello guys. I've been playing guitar for about an year and I would now like to strat learning how to play the bass. But before making a concrete decision and going out and buying a bass guitar, I would like to know: is playing bass and guitar at the same time detrimental to each other? I mean, would my technical skills at guitar suffer directly due to playing the bass or vice versa? There's the obvious issue of difference of scale that I'll need to accustom myself to everytime I switch from playing bass to playing guitar, but apart from that (and the fact that my practice time on the guitar will be lessened), are there any other issues that need to be dealt with? My guitar instructor was saying that my fingering would become totally confused as a result of playing bass since the strings are thicker and further apart from each other. That comment has really got me thinking... how true is his comment? And btw, how do I deal with the aforementioned difference of scale problem? I'd be really grateful if you guys could answer my queries, as I'm really perplexed right now. Thanks for reading. :)

P.S.:- Oh yeah, forgot to mention - I know the differences between bass and guitar pretty well, but could someone please enlighten me on the differences in playing between bass and guitar?

ragnarpk
March 29th, 2009, 05:24 AM
hmmm... i don't really see how learning both at the same time would be detrimental. Sure, there's a scale problem, but that shouldn't actually cause any huge problem, you'll get used to switching between them in no time.
If anything, it'll be better starting early. Guitarists, yes they can switch to bass, but they often are really boring bassists, just playing the roots, etc. This way, maybe you can avoid that.

So no, i don't see how it would be detrimental. go for it :D :p

wingsdad
March 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I had to learn to play bass 30 years ago to relearn how to play guitar after an 'accident' kinda wrecked my left hand.

Playing bass will help your guitar playing. It will not only build your forearm, wrist and finger strength because you'd be pressing on strings almost, if not, twice as heavy as your guitar's, such that the guitar will require a lighter touch, you'll also develop your rhythm instincts (where the guitar's part fits and feels in the big picture) and a better sense of following a song's scale/chord movement.

As for scale being an issue, I started on a P-Bass and the longer scale helped me with getting my fingers to stretch & reach.

But then there's a short-scale bass to consider...I now have 2 of them, letting go of my last long-scale Fender a year ago. At 30", the transition from bass to guitar to bass is much less of an issue. Sometimes s/s basses are called piccolo basses, because they may not get as 'low-down'. That depends. My Hofner Icon B-bass gets deeper tone than my Fender Musicmaster. Part of the trick is it's hollow body, part of it I use flatwounds on it. Not only do the flats mellow the tone and make slides a breeze, but they're easy on the guitar fingers.

As for guitarists switching to bass potentially being 'boring', IMO, quite the opposite. Paul McCartney was a lead guitarist who switched to bass, and as a result, crafted some amazingly melodic, if not revolutionary (at the time) bass lines. And he never stopped being a lead guitarist, either.

R_of_G
March 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It didn't seem to hurt me any. I learned both at the same time. I agree with what Wingsdad said about it only serving to strengthen my guitar playing. By learning another instrument you get a much better sense of where the space for each is in any given piece. It helps you play in context when you go back to playing guitar. Bass will also give you a very good perspective on rhythm.

wingsdad
March 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
A couple of your questions I forgot to address, Fardeen:

.... My guitar instructor was saying that my fingering would become totally confused as a result of playing bass since the strings are thicker and further apart from each other. ...
Get a new instructor. He's just afraid he'll lose you as a student. Or he doesn't know how to play bass guitar. He's not interested in your personal devleopment. You're interested in bass. He's not. (or she).

... could someone please enlighten me on the differences in playing between bass and guitar?
With the bass, you 'lock in' with the drummer's footwork as the foundation elements of the rhythm section. With the guitar, as a rhythm player, you lock in with those 2, paying a bit more attention to the drummer's cymbal work. As a lead player, you puctuate what they do: play in & around the spaces they form and provide accents.

t_ross33
March 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with the comments here - shouldn't hurt, will probably help in the long run. Having started on bass myself I'm biased :D but it will make you a better player in the long run. Plus you have the option of picking up more gigs :AOK:

marnold
March 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I started on bass too and recently got a bass again, so I'm biased. I was somewhat concerned about fingering, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I'm of the opinion that every guitarist should play some bass so they at least learn to play in time with the $#^& beat.

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I'm of the opinion that every guitarist should play some bass so they at least learn to play in time with the $#^& beat.
So that's my problem. I always leave the room to give the beat privacy when it starts to $#^&.

I should just stay & play with it, but I always feel so conspicuous & shy.

Brian Krashpad
March 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I think the supposed downside of messing up your fingering is BS. Although I already played guitar for a long time when I started playing bass, learning bass helped my guitar playing and vice-versa.

The octave
March 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Mr.Fardeen...If u r playing guitar for one year than u must know how bass notes works.I'm playing guitar for 11 years.What i think is if u r a beginner than it is not wise for you to play guitar and bass guitar together.Because it really creates confusion about your finger setup on the fret board.
But if you think you are good enough with guitar and finger setup than you can go for the bass.In that case bass will help you to make your fingers stretch;not confused.So what i want to say is understand yourself,than decide.Because you have to take your own decision.
(I faced the same problem like yours when i was a beginner.What i wrote is from my personal experience.)

The octave
March 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
wingsdad
""Get a new instructor. He's just afraid he'll lose you as a student. Or he doesn't know how to play bass guitar. He's not interested in your personal devleopment. You're interested in bass. He's not. (or she).""

Mr Wingsdad....
Personally i am a music instructor 2.I dont knw about you.And dont knw who you are.But you can't blame anyone else without knowing the real fact. Mr. Fardeen's instructor suggest the same thing i said.You have no right to use this kind of language.
Mr.Fardeen what do you think about your instructor?

ragnarpk
March 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM
hmmm first real agression i've seen on thefret...

Fardeen
March 31st, 2009, 05:31 AM
Mr.Fardeen...If u r playing guitar for one year than u must know how bass notes works.I'm playing guitar for 11 years.What i think is if u r a beginner than it is not wise for you to play guitar and bass guitar together.Because it really creates confusion about your finger setup on the fret board.
But if you think you are good enough with guitar and finger setup than you can go for the bass.In that case bass will help you to make your fingers stretch;not confused.So what i want to say is understand yourself,than decide.Because you have to take your own decision.
(I faced the same problem like yours when i was a beginner.What i wrote is from my personal experience.)

Well, the thing is you are right. I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to playing guitar and I don't feel my finger setup is anywhere near good enough. As a result, I guess I'll have to choose one of the instruments, become good at it and then go for the other one..... more on that later.

Mr Wingsdad....
Personally i am a music instructor 2.I dont knw about you.And dont knw who you are.But you can't blame anyone else without knowing the real fact. Mr. Fardeen's instructor suggest the same thing i said.You have no right to use this kind of language.

Well, as for my instructor, I honestly believe he was one of the nicest persons I ever knew and one of my closest friends. I'm writing this in the past tense because he saw this thread and was deeply hurt by wingsdad's comments. What I will say here is that my teacher said those things out of genuine concern for my personal development and not because he was afraid of losing me as a student. After all, he runs a big musical school so why should one student matter to him? He's one of the best guitarists in my town and as a matter of fact, he does know how to play the bass. The things he said were simply his advice towards me.... after all, he has overseen my guitar playing for the majority of the time I've been playing and he will know better than most about what's good for me. Here, I simply wanted to find out HOW right his comments were, because I knew his opinion was very personalized towards me and so, was pretty much true. But he took it the other way and felt very much insulted by these unjustified comments... and after having made my teacher feel so deeply hurt, it simply wasn't possible for me to continue under him - after all, how could I even show my face to him? But I also promised that I wouldn't learn to play the guitar under anyone else because that would be simply betraying him. He had told me to make a choice between guitar or bass, become good at it and then go for the other instrument... I guess that choice has been made for me now and I'll pick up the bass... but I will never quit playing the guitar, it's just that I won't take lessons from anyone except him. Hopefully, one day I'll return to him as a better guitarist and he'll help me achieve my maximum potential, but till then, I just hope he doesn't bear any grudges against me.... I'm sorry if this rather personal post of mine has put you off, but I just had to get these thoughts off my mind.

R_of_G
March 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there's a "you insulted my master, now you must pay" moment coming like in a thousand bad kung fu movies.

Fardeen
March 31st, 2009, 05:39 AM
And wingsdad, I know you were just trying to help me out here as you've done several times in the past, but really mate, you shouldn't have made those comments about my instructor without knowing the full story first... just imagine how you would feel if you were to stumble upon such comments made about you? That's exactly the way he felt and surely you wouldn't want someone to feel that way... you are one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members of this community but this time your comments were really uncalled for :(... nothing personal mate, just wanted to let you know that such comments are best not made without knowing the background information beforehand... don't take it otherwise

Fardeen
March 31st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there's a "you insulted my master, now you must pay" moment coming like in a thousand bad kung fu movies.

No, nothing like that's going to happen because wingsdad made those comments without knowing the whole story... if he had known what I've said about my teacher now beforehand, then he surely wouldn't have made those comments... no-one would...

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM
Ummmm, did something happen in this thread that I missed?

Aggression? Language? Where?

I'd learn to play the bass, as I think it would help me understand & feel the music, except that I know that I don't have the time to dedicate to both the guitar & the bass.

On with the show...

wingsdad
March 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM
And wingsdad, I know you were just trying to help me out here as you've done several times in the past, but really mate, you shouldn't have made those comments about my instructor without knowing the full story first... just imagine how you would feel if you were to stumble upon such comments made about you? That's exactly the way he felt and surely you wouldn't want someone to feel that way... you are one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members of this community but this time your comments were really uncalled for :(... nothing personal mate, just wanted to let you know that such comments are best not made without knowing the background information beforehand... don't take it otherwise

Looks like I really phrased things badly, or, at the very least, made ignorant assumptions about your friend, your instructor. :o

I didn't intend to insult your instructor; the particular questionable/questioned/judged as an a$$sholeish comment was intended as advice to you. It was intended as opinoion, not as a personal judgement. But I goofed. Sorry. :( Without knowing more of the relationship and your instructors esteemed credentials, I suppose I should have phrased my advice more delicately, less bluntly, qualifying things with a well-placed 'Perhaps" or 2 or 3.

Had I known that comment was going to be shown to your instructor as a critique on his performance, instead of addressed back to me with the details...

Well, the horse is out of the barn. And I'm not about to :deadhorse:

...Hopefully, one day I'll return to him as a better guitarist and he'll help me achieve my maximum potential, but till then, I just hope he doesn't bear any grudges against me....

Here I go probably stepping in horse manure again, but: why hold any grudges against you? I made the offending remark, not you.

I think I've said enough, made enough trouble, and I sincerely apologize to you and your instructor. (There, now...go show teacher this note, maybe it will salve his wounds.)

BTW, I deleted my terse reply that I made last nite to Mr Octave's interjectory slap on my wrist. I wouldn't want to offend him as well. But I will restate this much to Mr O: :master:

Finally:

...just imagine how you would feel if you were to stumble upon such comments made about you? ...

Believe me, I've heard much worse and had much worse happen to me in my life to have such a comment from a total stranger bother me in the least. I don't have to imagine how I'd feel. I know how I'd feel. In case you'd like to know how I'd feel, I'd react this way:

:rotflmao: :bootyshake: :tongue: :rotflmao:

Good luck on your journey with the bass and guitar, Fardeen.:)

oldguy
March 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well, as for my instructor, I honestly believe he was one of the nicest persons I ever knew and one of my closest friends. I'm writing this in the past tense because he saw this thread and was deeply hurt by wingsdad's comments. What I will say here is that my teacher said those things out of genuine concern for my personal development and not because he was afraid of losing me as a student. After all, he runs a big musical school so why should one student matter to him? He's one of the best guitarists in my town and as a matter of fact, he does know how to play the bass. The things he said were simply his advice towards me.... after all, he has overseen my guitar playing for the majority of the time I've been playing and he will know better than most about what's good for me. Here, I simply wanted to find out HOW right his comments were, because I knew his opinion was very personalized towards me and so, was pretty much true. But he took it the other way and felt very much insulted by these unjustified comments... and after having made my teacher feel so deeply hurt, it simply wasn't possible for me to continue under him - after all, how could I even show my face to him? But I also promised that I wouldn't learn to play the guitar under anyone else because that would be simply betraying him. He had told me to make a choice between guitar or bass, become good at it and then go for the other instrument... I guess that choice has been made for me now and I'll pick up the bass... but I will never quit playing the guitar, it's just that I won't take lessons from anyone except him. Hopefully, one day I'll return to him as a better guitarist and he'll help me achieve my maximum potential, but till then, I just hope he doesn't bear any grudges against me.... I'm sorry if this rather personal post of mine has put you off, but I just had to get these thoughts off my mind.

People learn at different levels. After my first year of guitar I played rudimentary bass, and 12 string acoustic. I never had a formal instructor, but I had older musicians who taught me alot, albeit with a lot of teasing. That was helpful as I learned not to be too thin-skinned around other homo sapiens!:D
From your post it sounds like your instructor is quite excellent.
If I had an instructor that excellent and one yrs. playing experience I would trust he knew what he was talking about and not seek advice on a public forum. Foregoing that, and asking for advice without fully explaining the situation, I would be prepared to receive suggestions from players of all caliber, realizing the replies could vary greatly. There is no no such thing as finding out "HOW right" someone is on a subjective matter, I would agree with some and disagree with others. I would then peruse the advice I had requested, fully realizing I might not like or agree with every response. And anyone giving me good-faith advice after reading my sketchy explanation of the situation could not possibly reply with "unjustified comments" as long as it were advice given honestly and within forum guidelines. Blunt, perhaps, yes, but certainly not unjustified.
If it were me.

tunghaichuan
March 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Fardeen,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you asked for opionions on a public forum and you got them. You may not have liked what wingsdad said, but it was his honest opinion, AFAIK.

And since you didn't post the full story up front, how is anyone supposed to know it? None of us are mind readers here. Wingsdad posted his opinon based on your initial post.

Wingsdad is a respected, knowledgeable member of this forum. So for you to come here asking for advice and then taking offense when it is honestly offered is poor form. Even worse is that you've now tried to shame him into feeling bad and apologizing (for something that needs no apology). So in my opinion you either need to develop a thicker skin or you need to grow up so that you can join the adults here.

Sorry if this offends you, but it is my honest opinion.

tung

Fardeen
March 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well, I'm too lazy to quote and dissect each and everyone's post here, so I'll just have a go at it quickly:

wingsdad: mate, there was no need for an apology and I'm sorry if I've forced you into one. :( See, the thing is, I guess your comments were a bit too "direct" and that is what hurt my teacher and me more than anything else. I know it was your personal opinion towards me, but come on, if my teacher stumbles upon them and finds out that someone is criticizing him, what am I to do? It's not like I showed the thread to him. And yeah, hopefully you're right and he won't be angry at me that much, neither should he be angry at you after your apology. By this act of humbleness, you have proven to me, and to everyone else, once again what a great human being you are. :) Thanks for wishing me luck, hopefully everything will go smoothly in my musical career. Oh, and btw, I'm sorry I called your comments "unjustified"... I guess "blunt" would be a better term. :D

oldguy: Well, you are right, and don't get me wrong - I do know how to handle adverse situations on the net. But this comment had a bad chain reaction effect in my real life, that is what had gotten me so frustrated in the first place. And btw, I do trust my teacher's judgment - I only asked this question here because I knew a lot of you guys are avid players of both the guitar and the bass. :)

tung:
Wingsdad is a respected, knowledgeable member of this forum.

Do you honestly think I don't know that?? :O

Even worse is that you've now tried to shame him into feeling bad and apologizing (for something that needs no apology). So in my opinion you either need to develop a thicker skin or you need to grow up so that you can join the adults here.

Well, if you feel that way, then I'm the one who's apologizing right here right now for my alleged crime. But I hope my words above tell you the motives behind why I did what I did. And by that last sentence of yours, are you trying to imply that I'm not worthy of interacting with you guys just because of my age?? Maybe I shouldn't have divulged it in the first place then...

tunghaichuan
March 31st, 2009, 02:44 PM
And by that last sentence of yours, are you trying to imply that I'm not worthy of interacting with you guys just because of my age?? Maybe I shouldn't have divulged it in the first place then...

That's not what I said. and I'm sorry if you took it that way. Respect a two-way street, and like most things it is earned, not granted. And it isn't about actual age. There are a couple of guys who post here that are relatively young, yet they conduct themselves like adults on this forum. What I was getting at is that you are a newbie on this forum, you haven't contributed anywhere near the amount that wingsdad has. When you ask for an opinion, you have to take the good with the bad. You can't cherry-pick those that you like and then put down those that you don't. This is a very civil forum compared to many on the 'Net and is that way for a reason.

Here is something to consider: I'm relatively old compared to you. When I was your age, I thought I knew it all. But I didn't and I learned that the hard way through many painful lessons. In fact the older I get the more I realize how little I really know.

tung

Fardeen
March 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM
When I was your age, I thought I knew it all. But I didn't and I learned that the hard way through many painful lessons. In fact the older I get the more I realize how little I really know.

True, very true indeed...

I understand what you are saying and I will definitely keep that in mind in the future. And btw, no apologies needed sir :)

tunghaichuan
March 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM
I understand what you are saying and I will definitely keep that in mind in the future. And btw, no apologies needed sir :)

Peace brother.

I hope there are no hard feelings.

And please don't think I was picking on you, that wasn't my intent.

regards,

tung

BluesHowler
March 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM
I started by playing electric bass and after a couple of years I bought both an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar.

It is almost like they are three different instruments in that different techniques are needed for each instrument to make them sound the best. I sold my bass and bass amph because I wanted to improve my guitar playing and just did not have the time to devote to all three guitars.

That said, you'll be more in demand as a jam partner just because bass players are much rarer that guitar players.

wingsdad
March 31st, 2009, 08:47 PM
First of all, my thanks to OG & tung for stepping up while I was out singing 'I Owe, I Owe, It's Off To Work I Go... ":beer:

Now , then...

wingsdad: mate, there was no need for an apology and I'm sorry if I've forced you into one. :
I didn't feel forced, Fardeen. I just felt like I needed to step up to try & heal a situation you weren't looking to be in as the outcome of seeking advice here, and that I inadevertently led to it happening. To that end, then, yes, I felt there was a need for an apology from me.

...( See, the thing is, I guess your comments were a bit too "direct"and that is what hurt my teacher and me more than anything else. I know it was your personal opinion towards me, ...
Like I said in my last post...the bluntness of my 'advice'...not an opinion of or towards you, should have been more qualified. A pratfall of 'chat' or forum posts...no eye contact, no humanity...smily icons are limited and sometimes, even they, can connote sarcasm if misconstrued.

Blunt. direct. I'm a native Noo Yawkah and grewup, lived and worked in & around NYC for most of my first 40 years on the planet. That's not an excuse, but rather, an insight as to how I can 'slip' that way. Foot-in-mouth disease. Hard to find a permanent cure.;)

...if my teacher stumbles upon them ... It's not like I showed the thread to him. ...
So, I take it your teacher either is a member here, or, like many of us before we signed aboard this good ship, has been perusing and getting a feel for the place, & 'stumbled upon' my words. I should have known better. ...Hey, Hey, Hey, and I do..

...Thanks for wishing me luck, hopefully everything will go smoothly in my musical career.
I do mean that, truly. Unfortunately, or ironically, it's what led me to make that very poorly forethought choice of words that caused the ruckus.

I was thinking more of you broadening your horizons and muscianship. You've only been at the guitar a year, you're chronologically young, at least in this particular incarnation you exist in. Mayb I was suggesting too much, too fast.

Oh, and btw, I'm sorry I called your comments "unjustified"...
Apology accepted, Fardeen...or, shal I say, 'mate'?:beer:

Now, go make amends with that teacher and carry on.;) :)

luvmyshiner
March 31st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Fardeen,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you asked for opionions on a public forum and you got them. You may not have liked what wingsdad said, but it was his honest opinion, AFAIK.

And since you didn't post the full story up front, how is anyone supposed to know it? None of us are mind readers here. Wingsdad posted his opinon based on your initial post.

Wingsdad is a respected, knowledgeable member of this forum. So for you to come here asking for advice and then taking offense when it is honestly offered is poor form. Even worse is that you've now tried to shame him into feeling bad and apologizing (for something that needs no apology). So in my opinion you either need to develop a thicker skin or you need to grow up so that you can join the adults here.

Sorry if this offends you, but it is my honest opinion.

tung

+two million Tung. I tried to find something to edit out to make it shorter, but it's perfect the way it is.

Mr Wingsdad....

Should probably leave this one alone, but y'all know me better. With all due respect "Mr. Octave", you come aboard without introducing yourself and personally attack a member with Wingsdad's experience and respect for giving his opinion when asked for? Go back to Harmony Central dude.

The octave
March 31st, 2009, 10:44 PM
well Mr.Fardeen.....sounds like you are depressed.But what i think is it doesn't matter.Solve the problem with your instructor.As you said he is a friend of your so it will not take time to make it OK.What ever happened is past.Nothing i personal here.And Mr.Wingsdad just trying to help you out in in his way.May b he never thought deeply about the fact.

Mr.Wingsdad....Anyways I just said what i felt.There is nothing personal.And i didn't have any intention to hurt you.Just forget it.Let's do music and only music.:rockon: :dude:

The octave
March 31st, 2009, 11:02 PM
Mr.Luvmyshiner...i knw where i have to go.Harmony Central or any where else.No thanks to your advice.Have fun:AOK: