PDA

View Full Version : S. Henderson - concert

Jimi75
March 29th, 2009, 05:50 AM
My jaw is still on the ground. Saw the Scott Henderson Trio live last friday. We arrived very late because of an accident on the German Autobahn. The club was not the biggest but very crowded, we had a good place to stand near the counter so we I let the beer flow and I totally relaxed in the sound. Henderson played loud as hell, he played formeost a red Suhr and his amp was the Suhr 100W top. First I thought it was a Marshall, because the big top looks pretty similar. Henderson looked a little bit exhausted, but nontheless they played 120 minutes plus an encore of 10 minutes. During some songs they switched a couple of times into Band Of Gypsys stuff which was awesome! The front row was totally crowded with the typical "we are the music police" guys, so I coudn't get a view on his pedals. What I figured was that Henderson 1-2 times bowed down to work with the knobs on the effects - yes he did not adjust but played the effect during some improviations. The sound of his amph reminded me of a hot rodded version of the JTM45, the character is pretty similar. His lines were georgeous and his work with the tremolo is so exceptional, in some songs it even sounded like the KOTO effect that Eric Johnson uses some times. I was expecting a lot, but this performance topped my imagination by far - Henderson plays the best and most intelligent version of the Blues, no doubt. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the names of the songs, as I said I just relaxed in the sound and I loved every note. We decided to wait after the gig at the bar, but after 40 minutes we decided to leave. As I said, he looked exhausted, but appeared to be a very friendly guy in general.

If you ever get the chance to see him live, don't hesitate, go ahead, this is a one of a kind experience.

Blaze
March 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Nice ,i see you enjoyed this concert ,i bet i would too ..

He did come in Montreal Jazz Festival with Joe Zawinul & Tribla Tech but not with his blues jazz trio yet.Hopefuly he will..

Did you bring your ear plugs ? ..:D :D

Robert
March 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
You lucky guy! I think Scott is doing a master class in London today by the way.

He uses a fuzz factory live, where he bends down to adjust it while holding a note, for cool a effect.

He also has a volume pedal for adjust the effects level from his effects unit. That's a cool way to use a multi effect.

That amp was probably his signature amp. Basically a Marshall Plexi with effects loop, as far as I understand. It also weighs a lot less.

Hope we can get Scott to Alberta one day! You're much more likely too see his band in Italy or Germany than in North America though...

thearabianmage
March 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Scott Henderson is doing a masterclass at the institute - I didn't get a ticket because there were only 25 places and around 150 students eager to sign up. . .

Bummer. . .

Jimi75
March 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
You lucky guy! I think Scott is doing a master class in London today by the way.

He uses a fuzz factory live, where he bends down to adjust it while holding a note, for cool a effect.

He also has a volume pedal for adjust the effects level from his effects unit. That's a cool way to use a multi effect.

That amp was probably his signature amp. Basically a Marshall Plexi with effects loop, as far as I understand. It also weighs a lot less.

Hope we can get Scott to Alberta one day! You're much more likely too see his band in Italy or Germany than in North America though...

That's cool info on the Fuzz Factory!
The sig amph sounded really Marshall-like much different from the Badger series.

larryx
March 31st, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have been a fan of Scott henderson since the early 80's when he was a session guy with guys like Jeff Berlin(bass)Chick Corea and his own band Tribal Tech with Gary Willis. As far I'm concernd (IMHO) he is the definition of rock,jazz and blues all rolled together in (the tastiest) of style. Sure there's faster or more technical(Holdsworth)but when it comes to creamy, tasty chops there ain't nobody gonna touch Scott! There are lots of great players young and old out there. But few cover all those styles in their solos phrasing like him. I have always turned people onto this form of music. And one of the best reactions was 'MAN ,THATS OFF THE HOOK!" Keep your music listening options opened. life doesn't stop at just rock,metal,punk,blues...etc..ect...Go look for some prog/fusion stuff from the 70's,80's90's There are great lessons to be learned from these pioneers of guitar. The list of players and bands is endless and the notes inspiring! You will either want to learn it and or play like them. Or you might just want to turn your guitar into firewood! It's up too you! Remember "the lower slung the guitar,:AOK: the worse the technique of the person who's playing it.".........IMHO.........

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 07:19 AM
Good to see we have another Henderson fan here! I mention him now and then, post videos, etc but I usually get few responses. He is such a phenomenal player, he deserves a lot more "fame", even on discussion boards. :AOK:

Spudman
April 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Good to see we have another Henderson fan here! I mention him now and then, post videos, etc but I usually get few responses. He is such a phenomenal player, he deserves a lot more "fame", even on discussion boards. :AOK:

We just watch in awe and are speechless.

Jimi75
April 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
We just watch in awe and are speechless.

Henderson's music is very demanding and it may take time to grow on you until you are able to discuss technical aspects of such a great player. Also to me most of Henderson's stuff is still playing magic and in some cases I am not able to say more than "wow" or "great". It's as I said, I was just wowed at this concert. I think time will come when we will write long Henderson threads. For sure!