PDA

View Full Version : Have your guitar/bass tastes changed?

Brian Krashpad
March 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'll admit, I stole this idea from another board.

We see it a lot-- someone starts out wanting flash and/or pointy guitars and later gravitates to the classics. Or maybe even vice-versa. Or goes from acoustic to electric, or vice-versa.

How about you?

My tastes haven't really changed. Never been into blingy or overly pointy. I like an unusual shape if it's not too weird. Have been able to pick up a few "nicer" guitars than I once had. But I still buy cheapies when they play well and add something to the "collection." Last couple years have been concentrating a little more on guitars with pickups besides Fender-style singles and standard humbuckers, and some semi-hollows for the first time rather than just solidbodies. I stated out on acoustic as a kid (early 70's) and played acoustics almost exclusively for the better part of a decade, then made the jump to electrics and don't play much acoustic anymore (though may play a bit more now that I'm getting back into church playing).

2001:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/axes2001.jpg

2002:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/axes2002.jpg

2007:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/GuitarCollage07.jpg

2009:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/4/l_6863965d4a124447b800689282e1dc60.jpg

Have your tastes in guitars and bass changed? Have you finally gotten round to getting a different type of guitar or bass after sticking with something else for a long time?

Do tell.

marnold
March 31st, 2009, 08:43 AM
Both of my guitars are rather boring takes on the basic Strat shape. My Fender has a carved top and a set neck which are really the only things that differentiate it from any other Strat from a body standpoint. My bass has a flat (i.e. non-carved top) version of the NS body shape which at least is not the ubiquitous Jazz/Precision style. I would prefer something with a more radical body shape but haven't found anything I could afford. Either that or I'd be sacrificing tone and playability for body shape which seems a bit silly.

I personally find most guitarists to be profoundly boring when it comes to guitar shapes. If Leo or Les didn't come up with it, it's not worth having. For a group of people whose general attitude seems to be quite left-of-center, guitarists are remarkably reactionary when it comes to their instruments. In the 80s lots of guys had wild guitar shapes in colors that I could never imagine wanting myself, but at least it was different and interesting, as opposed to the constant parade of sunburst Les Pauls or blonde Teles (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but come ON).

In the new Premier Guitar there's an interesting and refreshing interview with Adrian Belew (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Talking_Guitar_An_Interview_with_Adrian_Belew.aspx ) (Frank Zappa, King Crimson) who really seems to have embraced new technology, including his signature Parker Fly.

Robert
March 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I started out wanting a Les Paul, because of KISS.

Later, I got into heavy metal, and then it was all pointy guitars with Floyd Rose.

I had a period of high tech guitars too, like my Steinberger, when I was playing pop.

Then, I found my niche in blues and jazz, and from there on, I like strats, teles and vintage type of instruments.

Brian Krashpad
March 31st, 2009, 09:49 AM
My bass has a flat (i.e. non-carved top) version of the NS body shape which at least is not the ubiquitous Jazz/Precision style.

NS? Sorry, you lost me. :confused:

I'm a little slow sometimes.

:D

marnold
March 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
NS? Sorry, you lost me. :confused:

I'm a little slow sometimes.
NS is short for Ned Steinberger who designed the distinctive Spector body shape. They have other body shapes too but the NS is most commonly associated with Spector. See this page (http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/usneck.html) for some examples.

Brian Krashpad
March 31st, 2009, 01:01 PM
NS is short for Ned Steinberger who designed the distinctive Spector body shape. They have other body shapes too but the NS is most commonly associated with Spector. See this page (http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/usneck.html) for some examples.

Thanks Rev.

I don't know zip about those high-end basses like Spector, Alembic, Lakland, etc.

Plank_Spanker
March 31st, 2009, 01:34 PM
My tastes in amps has certainly changed, but I remain steadfast with the guitars.

thearabianmage
March 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
When I started out, it was all about BC Riches - Warlocks, Beasts, and Ironbirds.

Then I got my Jackson Dinky to have an easy guitar to travel around with, and over the course of a couple years, came to prefer it in many ways to the deceptively clever design of the Warlock. Then I got a Randy Rhoads Vee.

So I got into Spanish/Latin music and eventually got a decent nylon string.

Then, out of nowhere, comes an ES-335 copy.

Now, I want full-bodied jazz guitar, a steel-string acoustic, a 7-string, and - despite my initial strong dislike of the guitar - a tele.

I think I just like guitars. . . (but I've never liked 'funky' shaped guitars like Jags and Jazzmasters, even though I really want a Steinberger headless. . . go figure. . .)

markb
March 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM
1978-1982: Jacobacci Js2 (SG-like)
1982-1990: Strats (various but all stock
1990-1992: Tele
1992-1995: Strat again
1995-1999: Les Paul
1999-2003:Strat again
2003-date: Mostly teles with occasional strat but that's turning the other way round again.

Basically Fender, then :)

Spudman
March 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
My tastes haven't changed except that I finally accepted the Telecaster style into my flock. I have no idea why I was resistant for so long unless it was because growing up all the country players had them and I was on the other end of the musical spectrum. Now I realize how good they are for rock too.

I guess somewhere along the way I accepted hard tails into the flock as well. I used to love to wiggle my tremolo and still do. I guess I've gotten a bit better about saying what I want without the wiggle.

just strum
March 31st, 2009, 05:20 PM
My first desire was a Strat style and started with a Squier. I had two Squiers, but when I purchased the American Deluxe from Plank, the Squiers were gone. I've never been an LP fan, I think weight was my biggest reason for that, but very few really have ever caught my eye. My flirtation with LP came in the form of the Ibanez ARC300 and when I tried both at the stores, the Ibanez always won out. The closest I've come since then to an LP is the Washburn Idol.

One guitar that never really interested me was the Dot (335 style body guitar) and from the time I got the Dot, I was hooked. Since the moment I got the Dot, the 335 style became my #1 desire.

I like the style of the Wildkat.

I am actually happy with the guitars I have. A nice addition would be a Gretsch - one of the 6120's or to be more realistic in the cost department, a 5120.

If I would find a Tele that just "captured" my attention I would probably GAS for it, but to be honest, one Fender is enough for me.

So to answer the question, yes my tastes have changed, but always remained traditional.

Fab4
March 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM
...at least it was different and interesting, as opposed to the constant parade of sunburst Les Pauls or blonde Teles (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but come ON).

I'm with you on the sunburst Les Paul thing. That's why I stretched my finances to get a custom Les Paul in this color:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9276491a4ad98747e.jpg

My tastes haven't really changed but they have become more refined as I've learned more about what I actually like and what it takes to achieve the sounds I'm after. That's why I've made investments in custom and boutique instruments, as well as learning how to tech and modify my own instruments. I routinely change pickups in my guitars (those are Fralin P-92s in the blue Les Paul) and speakers in my amps to get to my "evolved" sound...and I may very well change them again as my tastes continue to evolve.

marnold
March 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm with you on the sunburst Les Paul thing. That's why I stretched my finances to get a custom Les Paul in this color:
Oooooh, sparkly. I like that a lot. I like Muddy's green one too.

kiteman
March 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM
My taste changed from cheap guitars to good guitars. :D

Seriously I was nuts about Gibsons and the clones, both LPs and SGs.

Now I like strats and super strats like my Carvins. :AOK:

Fab4
March 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
My taste changed from cheap guitars to good guitars.

Nicely put, Kiteman. Ironically, my blue sparkle Les Paul (Brunswick Blue is the official color name) was my attempt to recapture the look of my first pretty good guitar - a '75ish Les Paul Deluxe - on a REALLY good guitar.

I sold my old Deluxe after I realized there was nothing I could do to it to make it sound and perform like I (now) wanted it to. It had dead spots, very little acoustic resonance and, without routing it, minimal pickup options. Only mini humbuckers and P-90s would fit and those pickups don't work for me, although others get great sounds out of them.

The new one has terrific tone wood, is actually hollow (it weighs exactly 7 lbs.), has a nitro finish and absolutely sings with the Fralin P-92s. If I one day start selling off my gear, this guitar will be the last to go...unless, of course my tastes change.

sunvalleylaw
March 31st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Not really. Though I do admit that compared to when I tried to start several years ago with a cheap dreadnought acoustic, I spend way more time playing and much more often with my electric gear. I still like to go back to my acoustic (still the cheap dreadnought) but my electric stuff takes much more of my time now.

Jimi75
April 1st, 2009, 01:54 AM
That's a nice thread even if it's stolen :) ! Krash, I think almost every guitarist runs through different periods. I started out as a pure Metal player, so I had all these fancy Metal guitars with Floyd Rose Systems (I still like the FR Sytem!), had some Jacksons and Charvels among them the newer Randy R. Model. After that RR Model phase I bought my first custom shop guitar from ESP, a Mirage Deluxe, a total Metal guitar with a thunder and lightning airbrush on it, man how I love this guitar, still own it and it is the best craftmanship on all of my guitars, but I can not play this dream on stage with a Blues band, this would be blasphemia. When I got into more adult oriented rock and Blues stuff I bought my first Fender Strat and from there on I was buying a lot of Strats, until one day I was called back by my old Metal band and so I bought a 7-string Squier, strange experience which wasn't meant to last for long, then fell into a Les Paul phase that lasted for two Les Paul Models (and one Line6 Variax in between), one Paul by LTD and one Paul by ESP which I still own and play a lot. So, if you ask if my taste has changed then I have to say yes it changed a lot when I was younger (there were times where I even liked a BC Rich Warlock), but now I feel kind of home with any type of Strat guitar.

:AOK:

red
April 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Oh, definitely. After starting up typically a teenage metalhead know-it-all who wanted one guitar that could sound like any of the others on the flip of a switch, and have everything installed on it just in case I would need it, I've started subsequently to refine my tone - because of my changing taste in music, but mostly because I've come to terms with my limitations. I'm old enough and my playing time is limited enough that I'd rather build up my few strengths than try to conquer my infinite number of weaknesses. That's just my strategy, YMMV.

I do have an acoustic guitar, I couldn't handle being without one. They're just so warm and great, and you can play one even on the rare occasions when there's an electricity issue. ;) If it was good enough for Robert Johnson... I've always had one, and God forbid if I only had to have one guitar it would be a good quality acoustic for what seems to me to be obvious reasons.

These days, I want simplicity above all, because I can't really handle a vibrato bar properly, and I don't ever need lots of distortion - so I make due with simple Fender Champion tweed-type amps with just a touch of reverb/delay and perhaps a tube screamer pedal in front. And cables.

I guess it's a bit like dating - you go out with enough people to find someone you can respect and trust and enjoy, and you stick with them after that - except polygamy is legal with guitars :D so you can have a couple of them. You don't know much when you start out, about yourself as a player, or the guitars as tools for expressing what you're about, but ideally you converge into the situation where you know what you really want.

My favourite types of electric guitars right now are Telecasters and Les Paul Juniors - single-coil bluesy twangy guitars. My choice is not based on looks (though I think they're pretty enough) - but on the wood used in the guitar, which is really it's tone (ash in a Tele and the mahogany of a Jr), on the type of pickups they use (I prefer the sparkle of single coils), and on sturdiness and simplicity (I don't ever want to buy another non-hardtail guitar again unless it's a total tone monster). I don't care much about looks at all actually, unless it is in some way obviously kitschy.

I'm a minimalist. :)

Brian Krashpad
April 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM
My tastes haven't changed except that I finally accepted the Telecaster style into my flock. I have no idea why I was resistant for so long unless it was because growing up all the country players had them and I was on the other end of the musical spectrum. Now I realize how good they are for rock too.

I think that's true of a lot of rock players.

For a long time my main/only electric was something weird, an Ovation Breadwinner, but when I finally got around to something more traditional (besides a Ric 430 I had for a short period of time and foolishly sold), I went Strat rather than Tele. It took a couple years on Strat before I finally got a Tele, and now I prefer Teles to Strats.

hubberjub
April 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
I've become more traditional. My first guitar was a Gibson Flying V and my third guitar was a Shocking Pink Ibanez Jem. That was back when I had long hair and wore black metal shirts. I just can't pull off the agressive looking guitars with my current clean cut social worker looks.

Fab4
April 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
That was back when I had long hair and wore black metal shirts.

Cool. Were your shirts chain mail or more like plate armor? And didn't that black metal scratch the back of your pink JEM? :dude:

(Sorry. I'll try to control these impulses in the future...)

hubberjub
April 1st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Cool. Were your shirts chain mail or more like plate armor? And didn't that black metal scratch the back of your pink JEM? :dude:

(Sorry. I'll try to control these impulses in the future...)

It was just spray painted aluminum foil. I wrapped myself in it to keep the government from reading my thoughts. They lost interest when they discovered how useless I was.

kiteman
April 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
I've become more traditional. My first guitar was a Gibson Flying V and my third guitar was a Shocking Pink Ibanez Jem. That was back when I had long hair and wore black metal shirts. I just can't pull off the agressive looking guitars with my current clean cut social worker looks.

Got a pic of that pink jem? :dude:

hubberjub
April 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
I don't think I have any pictures of mine. It was just like this but someone had swapped out the pink Dimarzios for EMGs. It had an outstanding neck.
http://www.khriskrunch.com/weapons/ibanez_steve_vai.jpg

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
hubberjub, I had one of those too, a lime green one. JEM777. I shoulda kept it!

One just like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270350891700

Which sold for 3,250 Euro... I think I sold mine for 800 bucks.... :thwap:

I didn't know this - http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar019.html

kiteman
April 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Whew, dayglo. :D

hubberjub
April 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
hubberjub, I had one of those too, a lime green one. JEM777. I shoulda kept it!

One just like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270350891700

Which sold for 3,250 Euro... I think I sold mine for 800 bucks.... :thwap:

I didn't know this - http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar019.html

The green Jems were Loch Ness Green I think. That's a very rare color. I sold my Shocking Pink 777 in 1996 for $500. I wish I still had mine. I wouldn't be "man" enough to play it out but it was a conversation piece.

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hubberjub, those guitars are collectibles now. Dang, I should have kept mine. It was in good shape too.

hubberjub
April 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hubberjub, those guitars are collectibles now. Dang, I should have kept mine. It was in good shape too.

Oh, I know. C'est la vie.

Spudman
April 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM

And that is one reason why I still have so many guitars.

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
and - despite my initial strong dislike of the guitar - a tele.
BUGs are like that. They seem to like being ignored or disliked. The better to sneek up & capture your soul.

I live in fear of this happening to me.

I didn't start with any particular taste in guitars, but I am certainly surprised that I have & love an archtop with a single P90. As I only play solo at home I am looking to get the most sound & dynamic range happening that I can. I want a living thing.

If I played out then there would probably be feedback issues & I would need another ax. I have yet to play a double humbucker guitar, but humbuzz may lead me to one. Maybe a 335-style & I'll probably get hooked.

If someone bought me a seven string fanned-fret guitar or a funky guitar in shape or amenities. I'd happily learn what it had to offer.

Brian Krashpad
April 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
BUGs are like that.

"BUGs?"

Wazzat?

wingsdad
April 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
I've only had 'traditional' body shape/style/type electrics, with Telecasters and Stratocasters as my favorites with 335s and Les Pauls 2nd in line, and at that, more 'required tools' than preferred.

As for preferred pickups: single coil, be they Tele, Strat or P-90, since my bag was first & foremost as a 'rhythmer' handling rockabilly, 60's Motown Guitar Troika, and 60's Stax/Volt/Atlantic Steve Cropper r&b, with Beatles/Brit Invasion in the mix. I got into humbuckers and what they could do in the mid-70's thanks to Dicky Betts/Duane Allman and the Skynyrd Guitar Army, but then & now, I only play humbuckers if I 'need' to.

The only electric guitar I've ever had that could be considered of 'non-traditional' shape is my Rickenbacker 12, with its sharp bouts and slash 'f-hole', but its pickups are single coil 'toaster tops'. It also breaks with convention with Rickenbacker's 'upside-down' manner of stringing the 4 low octave courses.

With James Jamerson and Duck Dunn as my model bassists, basses had always been Fender P-Bass type (with my Musicmaster short-scale a dwarfed version), strung with flatwounds, until I picked up a Hofner 'violin' body B-Bass, also strung with flats. The pickups have always been single coil, passive electronics.

Acoustics? My Guild D-40 dreadnaught was my only one for 26 years before I turned to a Yamaha cutaway a/e 12, my first a/e. Then an Ovation cutaway followed by various cutaway a/e body-types and woods. My Washburn NV100C nylon string a/e is kinda radical, being semi-solid body. I briefly had a Seagull/Godin SA12, a tele-shaped semi-solid a/e 12, but let it go towards something else; I'd buy it again if I could, now a Godin A-12, since the Seagull was the NAMM '04 prototype -- Seagull logo on the headstock, Godin logo on the body -- and they disco'd it after about 1 year.

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
"BUGs?"

Wazzat?
I thought that Strum would've answered by now.

BUG = Butt Ugly Guitar.

It's a lovable nickname for the Tele designed to start riots in honky tonks & all places south.

Brian Krashpad
April 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM

BUG = Butt Ugly Guitar.

It's a lovable nickname for the Tele designed to start riots in honky tonks & all places south.

Haha, them's fightin' words, y'all!

Thanks, hadn't heard it.

Duff
April 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
At first I was interested in strats and LP styles. Later I started to really like telecasters. I have a couple nice Schecters. I bought a Jumbo acoustic. I have hot rodded a few guitars and had fun making them sound really really good. I started to get Fender amps, which I didn't know I liked. I see a Peavey Bandit 112 I want to get and a Peavey Zodiac bass that is incredible, P J. I bought some Ibanez guitars that I newer thought I would like but liked better than the competition, by a considerable margin. I bought a Peavey "Hartley Peavey Signature EXP" that is incredible for 199 brand new in Tiger Eye on mahogany w mahogany set neck, totally different from a strat or LP but similar at the same time. I bought Squire guitars and basses that I never thought I'd buy. Never thought I'd buy a Squire.

I want to get a modern really good solid state amp.

As I get better and more experienced I have developed different tastes but still like my older stuff and play them a lot. I find out that when I sell and older guitar or amp that I wish I didn't.

My tastes are changing. Like in the black and chrome Peavey Zodiac bass I want to get. Never wanted a black an chrome bass ever before. I think it is the tone and feel and quality that I feel that influences me, not the color or brand. I have some very inexpensive guitars and basses that sound super great and amps too. Like the 3/5 watt Blackheart head. I never wanted a little tube amp like that, way back when; I wanted a 50 watt tube amp or a 100 watt one. Now I want a solid state, really good amp like a Bandit.

For me it is still changing and probably always will.

This is a great topic.

Peace,

Duffy

markb
April 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM

BUG = Butt Ugly Guitar.

[Glaswegian psycho] Are you callin' mah Telecaster butt ugly, pal? I'll see you ootside! [/Glaswegian psycho] :D

marnold
April 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Sweet use of the word "Glaswegian."

Brian Krashpad
April 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Sweet use of the word "Glaswegian."

Haha, I've always loved those oddly-formed geographical adjective/nouns.

"Liverpudlian" is another. Although in that case one can also resort to the even odder "Scouser" or "Scouse," for the respective noun and adjective.

sunvalleylaw
April 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
I had not heard of "Glaswegian" I have called myself "Iregian" or "Norwegish" being largely of Norwegian and Irish descent, plus various anglo mix (scottish/welsh/british) thrown in for good measure. Maybe it would be better but "BrIwegian" or "NorBregish"

Eric
July 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I haven't noticed -- do people get annoyed on thefret.net when you revive old threads? Guess I'll find out!

I do feel like my tastes are still changing. I've definitely undergone a huge transition from purely acoustic to almost exclusively electric over the last 3-5 years.

At first I hated strats, loved whatever my guitar hero of the moment played, and didn't really like pointy guitars at all. I sweated sunburst finishes, flamed tops, and Les Pauls.

I still don't like strats, but I'm now more open to whatever fits my needs. It took me a long time to figure out what I like in terms of radius, scale length, pickups, etc., but now that I have some idea, I think I am open to many more options, though I do still tend to shy away from really over-the-top axes. If it works and fits what I want to do, I'll play it, even to the point of looks not mattering quite as much as they once did.

hubberjub
July 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Dude, do you know how old this thread is!?! Just kidding. My guitar tastes change mostly out of necessity. I don't play the 6-string live anymore, just the pedal steel. I play my Taylor on the side porch after work. I also keep my 1991 Strat beside my bed. I play that before bed while she reads or watches a movie. Only once have I nodded off and accidentally smacked her in the forehead with the headstock.

progrmr
July 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM
My tastes seem to change every 2 weeks! Seriously...I don't know why I can't keep with the same gear. I've been back to guitar for 3 months now, and I've had 2 Epi Les Pauls, 2 MIM strats, Jackson RR24, an acoustic, Artcore, Epi DOT, and Agile Les Paul (new to me yesterday after I swore I'd never buy another guitar).

I don't know why I do this...I almost think it's like an impulse buying thing..but then I have to sell stuff to make back the money.

I'm keeping the Epi DOT and the Agile LP (which is freakin' awesome BTW, AL-3000). Selling some stuff and hoping that I can just be happy with what I've got and stop buying/selling stuff! It's a serious PITA.

Katastrophe
July 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Agile Les Paul (new to me yesterday after I swore I'd never buy another guitar).

I don't know why I do this...I almost think it's like an impulse buying thing..but then I have to sell stuff to make back the money.

I'm keeping the Epi DOT and the Agile LP (which is freakin' awesome BTW, AL-3000). Selling some stuff and hoping that I can just be happy with what I've got and stop buying/selling stuff! It's a serious PITA.

:poke Told ya so!

You're in danger of reaching Commodore64 guitar turnaround status...:dance

Tastes change. Sometimes I'll have serious GAS for a guitar and then I'll play it... and find out it's just not my thing.

I continue to have a love for pointy guitars. I started playing in the 80s, and just can't help it. The guitars I have reflect where I was at the time when the guitar was purchased, which is way cool.

I pretty much have universal GAS these days. I want 'em all!

Eric
July 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
You're in danger of reaching Commodore64 guitar turnaround status...:dance
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sometimes I'll have serious GAS for a guitar and then I'll play it... and find out it's just not my thing.
Ain't that the truth!

sumitomo
July 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm starting to set in with just a couple (tele,strat,acoustic,I really like my new acoustic and that pignose amph has some great crunch)Hey what happened to the Commodore64,I hope he didn't get lost under that pile of guitars and amphs of his.lol Sumi:D

GuitarAcademy
July 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Definitely my tastes have changed. I learned first hand that the best playing guitars were not the ones that everyone mentions.

Since the late 80's Ive been an ESP player, and probably will always have love for a Good ESP with JB and 59s. I have several of them.

But beyond that I go for that guitar with that intangible "It" factor, and by that I mean you can almost feel the life or soul when you play it. Its not a sku number or a unit, its a guitar. Hence my guitars are not what people consider "The Big 2 Brands" but they consistently turn heads whe they hear them or try them out.

Among my axes I own, they now include 4 Reverends, (FlatRoc, 10th Anniversary Jetstream, Double Agent and a Sensei in Flame Faded Maple) a handful of Brazen's including 2 Fantasy Models and Eternity Carnival, A DiPinto Bacchus, and a couple of G&L's. On the acoustic side its all Breedlove - I own 4 of those.

Its all about what speaks or sings to me, and when you hold and play it, it feels like it was made by a guitar player for another player to fall in love with.

I own only one Gibson, a 1961 330 TDC, and have no need for any strats beyond an 87 Japanese one that I have had for years, although if I ever get a Strat it will likely be an old ESP 300 or 400 Series, or maybe a GL56 from ESP.

GA