PDA

View Full Version : Roland Cube review - 3 models compared -LONG

markb
April 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
I finally got a Cube 60 just as they get superseded by the Cube 80X. Here's why.

I had the chance to line up a Cube 30X, a Cube 60 and the new Cube 80X. They were priced at $399, $699 and $999 respectively (NZ$). Americans may gasp at those prices but there's a real lack of discounting here due to our tiny population.

First the Cube 30X vs the 60.
The 30X sounded great, the JC and tweed models are killers apart from any of the others. With the volume at about 10:00 it was just as loud as the Cube 60, if a bit thinner due to the smaller speaker. Then I turned them both up. The 30X just didn't get much louder while the 60 went on getting bigger and bigger. The 30X would vanish on stage but the 60 was a definite goer. Also the 60 has a bright switch on the JC model. This takes you nicely between warm cleans and twangier country tones. I can see myself using this feature as an effective extra half-channel.

Round 2: Cube 60 vs Cube 80X.
All the good things about the Cube 60 are true for the 80X. But there's more.
First I have to say that, if you care to buy enough footswitches for all the features (6 in total), the 80X is a rig in a (small) box combining a basic but usable fx processor with a three channel amp (using the solo feature as channel 3). Reverb and delay are separate and both footswitchable as is tap tempo. You have to choose one of 4 modulation effects from the efx knob. The 80X also has a programmable solo feature with its own level control. The models and the effects sound better than those on the 60 (this is true for the 30X as well) but not $300 (of my money, anyway) better. But, in the end, I just won't use all that stuff on the 80X and $300 is $300. The 60 was more than enough amp for me. I never even got the model selector beyond "tweed" with a little slapback echo before being sold on the sound and scale of the amp.

I'd have bought the 80X if the price difference had been closer, say $150 but the 60 is more than adequate. I like the UI as well. Much easier IMO than the Valvetronix amps, two channels, no programming and the knobs always point to their current settings. It's a grab and go rig as long as you're prepared to do a bit of fine tuning for the room.

Cube 60 pros and cons (mostly gut feelings).

Pro:
Wysiwyg UI, much more amp-like for us old folks than a Valvetronix or Line 6 which are more programme based.
Simple, useful effects (no extremes here).
Good range of tones without seemingly endless minor variations (e.g. the tweed deluxe, bassman and twin on the VOX VT30. I suspect this is for people who can't be bothered to use the tone controls or only use the factory presets :) ).
Powerful eq, the amp voices can be fine tuned, the Fender models' eq is subtractive. Nice.
Small and light.
The low/medium gain voices (tweed, brit combo, classic stack) all clean up nicely from the guitar. This is crucial to me.
Likes overdrive pedals, both my CC Drive and SD-1 sound good through this.
Best of all, very loud (but sounds good at low volumes).

Con:
Only one choice of clean channel voice if using channel switching (but a good one)
Preset effects (no fine tuning)
No loop (not a problem for me)
The AC30 voice is a bit too gainy (typical of modelers IME)
I don't have enough footswitches to control it (more expense)
Er, that's it as far as I'm concerned.

In short, buy the 30X for home and recording use, buy the 80X if you'll use its features and the price is right, but if you see the 60 at a clearance price like I did, grab it. You probably won't really miss the extras and for live use the difference in voices will vanish in the mix. Oh, and don't think I'm knocking the VOXes. They sound great but I always get thwarted by the UI. Maybe that says more about me than the amps ;) .

Next up, Cube 60 vs TM60.

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Excellent review Mark, I might have to try the newer cubes...

The AC30 emulation is probably the AC30 Top Boost and not the older (and imho better sounding) version.

Algonquin
April 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
I haven't had the chance to play one of the new Cube60's, but I have played the 30x and was very impressed. The 60 with the larger speaker would make a wicked amp. Congrats on the purcahse, and thanks for the review... Awesome :AOK:

wingsdad
April 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM
Well-done review, mark. Nice summary of the pros & cons & bottom line. :AOK:

I kinda doubted that a 10" speaker amp was going to cut the mustard for you for what you need to do with it, for the same reason you found it lacking in the Cube 30X vs. Cube 60X.

I had a Cube 30 (pre 'X' versions), but gave it up along the way to my T21 TM60. It was all you said about the 30X here, which is why I eventually snagged its little squirt bro, a MicroCube, to give me the great JC120 model (of course: it's Roland's own 'vintage' amp) and a 2nd amp I can DI to bi-amp with.

Excellent choice. Enjoy.;)

marnold
April 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Actually, Mark, those prices aren't out of line with the US. I saw the Cube 60 at Music 123 and Sweetwater for $395 US which is $703 NZ.

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Great review, thanks!

schenkadere
April 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Well-done review, mark. Nice summary of the pros & cons & bottom line. :AOK:

I kinda doubted that a 10" speaker amp was going to cut the mustard for you for what you need to do with it, for the same reason you found it lacking in the Cube 30X vs. Cube 60X.

I had a Cube 30 (pre 'X' versions), but gave it up along the way to my T21 TM60. It was all you said about the 30X here, which is why I eventually snagged its little squirt bro, a MicroCube, to give me the great JC120 model (of course: it's Roland's own 'vintage' amp) and a 2nd amp I can DI to bi-amp with.

Excellent choice. Enjoy.;)

I feel the MicroCube has the best voicing out of any of them. I've been close to buying a 30 or 60 a number of times, but decided on something different because my MicroCube just sounds better despite its size. I think the smaller cubes like the Micro and 20x just sounds better...I really don't like the way the 60 is voiced.