PDA

View Full Version : If you could be the best player in the world...

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Which would be your instrument of choice?

I would pick saxophone. It is so expressive compared to guitar. Well, wind instruments in general have this, so trumpet would be cool too. :)

Jimi75
April 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
I have picked the violin, for I wished to play in an symphonic orchestra, travel the world and also record movie soundtracks with that orchestra. The violin has ever fascinated me since I was a kid.

R_of_G
April 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Without question it would be the piano. I find it the most diverse and expressive of all instruments, plus it opens up the possibilities of it's electronic cousins like the Rhodes and the B-3.

duhvoodooman
April 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
Call me predictable, but.....GUITAR. It's been far & away my favorite instrument since the mid '60's.

Guess that makes me a maverick here on the piano-saxophone-violin forum.... :rolleyes: :poke: ;)

Blaze
April 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Hammond B3 would be my choice , truly an unique soulful instrument..

jejadhR_m9w&feature

Piano is so complete too..

hMXDccj-O0Y&feature

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Duhvoodooman, man you don't really fit in here! :D What is that thing you talk about - "guitar"? Hmm... have to look that up :D ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
I picked guitar too. For selfish reasons I guess. I love piano, but you cannot take them everywhere with you. I love the expression of wind instruments, but they do not do the lush chords a stringed instrument can. Guitars can play a base line, rhythm chords, leads, you can do percussion on the body or strings, or mix them all together, and you can do it about anywhere. Thus that is the one I could enjoy most.

Did I just use the word "thus" on a guitar forum? :thwap: ;) I have been doing too much legal work lately. :D

sumitomo
April 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
I vote guitar,but check this out when I was growing up(I still am!)I asked my mom to buy this guitar I just had to have,no,no was the answer over and over but she would buy me a tenor sax and she would pay for all the lessons ect.I never took the bait.Sumi:D

Spudman
April 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
You left poker off the list.:cool:

Guitar for me.
I like the physical properties of it. Unlike a wind instrument you can play and sing at the same time on guitar thereby giving more than one instrument the ability to participate. The more the merrier.:)

Rocket
April 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
If?

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Fixed the speeling.

marnold
April 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
What--no sousaphone option?

I'd either have to say guitar or pipe organ.

Fab4
April 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Let's see, I have (currently) 20 guitars, five guitar amps, three guitar pedal boards, a couple of drawers full of guitar parts and guitar pickups...I'd definitely have to go with jaw harp. Man, do chicks ever dig a hot-rockin' jaw harp player!

Robert
April 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
I forgot the add the Theremin:

nJYho56INKU

markb
April 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Guitar of course. To (mis?)quote Eddie Lang, "...the guitar is the perfect instrument. The only one able to comp like a piano and sing like a horn".

street music
April 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
No doubt it would be guitar but the piano-organ as second choice.

sumitomo
April 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM
[I'd definitely have to go with jaw harp. Man, do chicks ever dig a hot-rockin' jaw harp player![/QUOTE]

Only the one's who can lick their eyebrows! Sumi:D

Fab4
April 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
[I'd definitely have to go with jaw harp. Man, do chicks ever dig a hot-rockin' jaw harp player!

Only the one's who can lick their eyebrows! Sumi:D[/QUOTE]

Does Gene Simmons play jaw harp, too!?! I bet it messed with his makeup...

just strum
April 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I picked guitar earlier this morning - reason: Ditto SVL

ragnarpk
April 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
i would tear up the harmonica scene with my virtuoso.....ing.

sumitomo
April 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Only the one's who can lick their eyebrows! Sumi:D

Does Gene Simmons play jaw harp, too!?! I bet it messed with his makeup...[/QUOTE]

You know you made me think about this and I tried the Jawharp when I was a kid and it hurt like he!! when I got my tongue caught in that sucker on I don't have a big ole long tongue,so I dont think people with big ole long tongue's can play 'em.Sumi:D

Kazz
April 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Guitar is the only instrument I ever really wanted to play.

hubberjub
April 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I would pick the piano. You unknowingly pick up music theory when you learn the piano. Scales, chord structure, voice leading, it's all there. It also becomes very easy to apply that knowledge to other instruments. Every pianist I know is proficient at several other instruments as well as the piano.

Jimi75
April 2nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
I forgot the add the Theremin:

nJYho56INKU

Bonamassa's been using this "tool" recently.

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
Since you didn't list any of the instruments native to my planet--no the Theramin is a primitive wiggy-woggy thing compared with them, I picked guitar.

It reeks of both sex & transcendence.

R_of_G
April 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
It reeks of both sex & transcendence.

So, um, Tot, how exactly do you play your guitar that it reeks of that? :thwap:

Mr Grumpy
April 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Of the options listed, guitar. If I could be the worlds finest player of anything though, it would be the chapman stick.

tot_Ou_tard
April 4th, 2009, 07:51 AM
So, um, Tot, how exactly do you play your guitar that it reeks of that? :thwap: I'd post videos, but then I'd get banned from several universes at once.