PDA

View Full Version : Gries 5

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
I recently got a used Gries 5 with a Scumnico speaker.

It's a handwired 5W single-ended class A 1x12 combo with a single 6V6 and a tube rectifier.

The controls are volume treble bass gain MV.

The gain is unique. With it off the amp has a fantastic blackface tone. All turning the gain up does is progressively dial out the tonestack. With the gain cranked the tonestack is completely out of the circuit giving the amp a tweed vibe. It gets really rich & swirly with the gain & MV cranked & the volume low.

It has a bright switch under the chassis as well as a jack to make the gain footswitchable from off to where the dial is set.

This thing is perfect for my needs. The MV works incredibly well.

The Scumnico is a Alnico speaker with a Neodynium tip. It is very sweet sounding.

It came with an extra speaker. A used Eminence 12" 8 Ohm ceramic Tonker. Now I just need a cab & I'll run them both together.

This can been done right? It has an 8 Ohm speaker out jack while the internal speaker is connected to another jack. I assume that this allows me to:

1) Run it as a combo.
2) Run it as a head into an external cab.
3) Use it as a cab for another head.
4) Drive both the internal speaker & an external cab with the Gries 5 amp.

TS808
April 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Congrats on the purchase. From what I've read about those amps, they are worth every penny and the tone is supposed to be incredible!.

By the way...PICS!!!

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
Congrats on the purchase. From what I've read about those amps, they are worth every penny and the tone is supposed to be incredible!.

By the way...PICS!!!
Yes that is why I got it. It suits my style perfectly. My Champion 600 is headed to work. ;)

I don't have a digital camera. Maybe I should pick up one of those cheapie one use types. She's a blonde beauty.

Robert
April 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Congrats! I've heard about those amps.

You should email the guy at info@griesamps.com and ask, or call at (508)287-2339. That would be safest bet.

Now, let's hear some Alien Screaming Solos outta that thang!

oldguy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Congratulations on the new amph, tot! I hadn't heard of that brand before, but looked it up, and all the models look grand. Good score, man! I also notice they're not taking orders for new builds right now, it seems you made a timely move getting your hands on one when you did!:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Congratulations on the new amph, tot! I hadn't heard of that brand before, but looked it up, and all the models look grand. Good score, man! I also notice they're not taking orders for new builds right now, it seems you made a timely move getting your hands on one when you did!:bravo:
I have already talked to Dave Gries regarding othe questions. He's a very nice man.

Yes, I know that he is currently not building amps.

This amp fits me like a glove & beats trying to further mod my Champion 600.

I'm very, very happy.