PDA

View Full Version : What A Difference A Year Makes.......

piebaldpython
April 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
..last year on this date, at roughly this hour, Baby Cobra was put into a ketamine coma in a "last chance" attempt to alleviate the ravages of being bed-ridden, unable to move anything but her neck and in 24/7 mind-numbing pain. Her plea to God was to "fix me or take me, don't leave me like this".
Fast forward one year..I finished my taxes last nite and needed to "burn" off the frustration of doing that. Aha I went to the gym and so did BC!! She does cardio and core workouts. Amazing, and I can't stop pinching myself when I see her walk towards me.
Pain free, no meds since she awoke from the coma. She's in remission. She has to be careful though. Too much stress or physical strain could bring it back with a vengeance. So, she is easing back into having a LIFE. She can't work for at least a year or two. But, she has been cleared to go to college in the Fall.
One interesting note (esp. for SHINER), the massive dosage of ketamine that she received (10,000 ml) has given her a remarkable tolerance for alcohol. When she drinks socially, she doesn't even get a buzz.

Algonquin
April 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
Absolutely one of the best threads I've read in a long time!

Very glad to hear the positive update :AOK:

luvmyshiner
April 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hmmm, I'm not so sure that's a good thing Pie. What's the point in drinking if you can't get buzzed?

Seriously, its great news and I'm glad she's doing well. Give her our thoughts and prayers from the Shiner household.

Robert
April 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Great news! Glad to hear it's going well.

Jimi75
April 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
:AOK:

Very positive!

:AOK:

Rocket
April 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way:
Your story is very touching and heartwarming until you get to the part about alcohol tolerance. I have to ask myself why on earth would someone getting a second chance at life even want to attempt to get a buzz from alcohol. The type of tolerance you're describing could easily lead to alcohol abuse, addiction, or even poisoning... why risk it.

That said... mucho congrats on surviving!

piebaldpython
April 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Rocket.......your point is well taken, no offense either and I suppose I should clarify things. If she's out socially, she'll have some drinks over the long course of an evening, a situation that typically ends with somebody eventually "feeling" what they have consumed. I didn't mean a drunken stupor. Poor writing on my part. So, it's not a "lets see how much liquor I can consume in an hour" type of thing. My bad on that.
She's remarkably SMART about what she can and can't do. Most people who get an "easing of the pain" invariably try to do too much physically and hurt themselves. She hasn't. She has a workout routine and since her trigger-point is her upper body, she does no upper body work other than some mild stretches and moving her arms on the elliptical machine.

aeolian
April 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Great to hear her progress. And back to college in the fall is fantastic!

oldguy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
That's great news, pie. Best wishes and prayers to you and yours, I love it when the good guy (and gal) win!:bravo:

Rocket
April 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Rocket.......your point is well taken, no offense either and I suppose I should clarify things. If she's out socially, she'll have some drinks over the long course of an evening, a situation that typically ends with somebody eventually "feeling" what they have consumed. I didn't mean a drunken stupor. Poor writing on my part. So, it's not a "lets see how much liquor I can consume in an hour" type of thing. My bad on that.
She's remarkably SMART about what she can and can't do. Most people who get an "easing of the pain" invariably try to do too much physically and hurt themselves. She hasn't. She has a workout routine and since her trigger-point is her upper body, she does no upper body work other than some mild stretches and moving her arms on the elliptical machine.
Then, by all means... mucho congrats on the survival thing!

sumitomo
April 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
That is just so AWESOME!!!! Pie and you allowing us to share in this is just way cool.Thanks and give your daughter a hug for us!Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Excellent news and thanks for sharing!

street music
April 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Pie, man that is great news. Glad to hear she is doing well.

duhvoodooman
April 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
That's just great, PBP!! :AOK: :dude: :bravo: :beer:

just strum
April 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Absolutely one of the best threads I've read in a long time!

Very glad to hear the positive update :AOK:

Yep, what he said.

Pie, your updates are uplifting to me and if I can speak for the others, all of us.

tjcurtin1
April 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
HOORAY! Great occasion for celebration and taking stock of blessings!

bigoldron
April 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
PBP, we're all proud for you and thankful that you've been blessed so. My older daughter was diagnosed with a potentially life threatening, extremely rare disease 5 years ago. We had to take to Scottish Rites in Atlanta to find a cure. After 2 weeks in the hospital and corrective surgery, she's now fully recovered and doing great. She's graduating on May 22nd from high school and, in all likelihood, be the valedictorian.

I know where you're coming from concerning your baby. Our situation was not nearly as extreme as yours, but it still makes you realize just how precious life is and how fast it can be gone.

Don't look now Robert, but I'm telling you, PBP: "May God continue to bless you and your family!" I'm thankful for my blessings and am also thankful for yours, too! Keep us posted on her continuing status.

mrmudcat
April 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
great news:beer: