PDA

View Full Version : will the neck be okay with lighter strings?

hlieboff59
April 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi, everyone, I'm new to this forum. My name is Howard and I live in New Jersey.

Right now I have a 82 American fender strat. I had all new pickups put in and had the guy put on new strings. Flatwound D'addario Lights which are 11,15,22,30,40,50 I like to play surf music and like thick strings. The guy put on the new pickups and new strings, but had to put on the rest of the springs in back. I had 3 springs up until now, but now all 5 are put on. I love to use the whammy bar too. but with the 5 springs on the bridge is just about all the way down, which gives me none to limited use of whammy bar. plus the whammy won't even screw in all the way. but now, I want to switch to lighter gauge strings. These strings are D'Addario extra lights 10,14,20,28,38,48. so I want to take off 2 of the springs so that I'll have use of the whammy bar.

My question is with taking the 2 springs offs and putting on the new lighter set, even though the strings are little bit less in gauge, will the neck be okay with this setup or do you think I should go with a little bit lighter gauge flat wounds. I saw them which are 10,14, 18, 23 ,33 ,34????

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Howard L

ZMAN
April 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
As far as dropping one size on the strings that shouldn't bother the neck. I really can't comment on the bridge springs becaue I like mine flat. I don't use the bar at all. Bends and finger vibrato only.

TS808
April 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi, everyone, I'm new to this forum. My name is Howard and I live in New Jersey.

Right now I have a 82 American fender strat. I had all new pickups put in and had the guy put on new strings. Flatwound D'addario Lights which are 11,15,22,30,40,50 I like to play surf music and like thick strings. The guy put on the new pickups and new strings, but had to put on the rest of the springs in back. I had 3 springs up until now, but now all 5 are put on. I love to use the whammy bar too. but with the 5 springs on the bridge is just about all the way down, which gives me none to limited use of whammy bar. plus the whammy won't even screw in all the way. but now, I want to switch to lighter gauge strings. These strings are D'Addario extra lights 10,14,20,28,38,48. so I want to take off 2 of the springs so that I'll have use of the whammy bar.

My question is with taking the 2 springs offs and putting on the new lighter set, even though the strings are little bit less in gauge, will the neck be okay with this setup or do you think I should go with a little bit lighter gauge flat wounds. I saw them which are 10,14, 18, 23 ,33 ,34????

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Howard L

You might have to adjust the truss rod on your neck if you're going to lighter gauge striings. Going to a lighter gauge, your neck might wind up too straight or even back bowed a bit. Just give the truss rod about a one-eighth to one quarter turn until you get about the thickness of a .10 string between the top of the 8th fret and your low E string......just fret the top fret and the very last and examine the distance between the E string and the top of the 8th fret.

Also, you may have to adjust the springs on the tremelo too to get it where you want it. I let my trem float about 1/8" off the body.

just strum
April 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
If you haven't made the change yet, I would wait a few days before you make any adjustments after you swap strings. Give the neck a couple of days to settle. The neck may or may not react initially to the change.

I went from 11's to 10's on my Wildkat and needed no adjustment until a few days later. I have to make some adjustment now to the intonation, but minimal.

markb
April 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Three springs should be OK with 10s. I use four for less dive when bending. My trem is still fully floating, it just takes a little more effort to move. Adjust the string/spring tension using the claw screws.

mrmudcat
April 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Three springs should be OK with 10s. I use four for less dive when bending. My trem is still fully floating, it just takes a little more effort to move. Adjust the string/spring tension using the claw screws.

Agreed and great post!:beer:

wingsdad
April 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM
... do you think I should go with a little bit lighter gauge flat wounds. I saw them which are 10,14, 18, 23 ,33 ,34????

Those 5th & 6th strings are incredibly light and practically the same gauge. That could be a problem...:confused: