PDA

View Full Version : mojo requests please... vigil ongoing

Childbride
April 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
a few of you know of the events in my life over the last month with gram...

it's come to a head tonight.

my 90 year old grandmother is about to go into surgery...

she fell again today and broke her hip.

she also has a crushed L2 from the first fall that they can't kyphoplasty until she recovers from the hip surgery.

they do not know yet if they will have to just pin it or do more invasive surgery until they get in.

to put a 90-yr-old under general anesthesia is a terrifying thing in and of itself.

i would ask for prayers and mojo for gram.

i am beside myself with worry and concern.

i can't leave tonight, but will be with her soon.

will post when i know more.

just strum
April 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
CB, thoughts are with Gram and with you. I received your e-mail just haven't put together a response, but I will follow through with the request.

Take care, you got my number and my e-mail.

Tone2TheBone
April 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Mojo sent CB.....

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Done deal. I hope it all goes well!

Rocket
April 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.endemol.co.za/UploadedImages/MOJO%20LOGO(2).jpg

piebaldpython
April 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Mojo sent CB and some of BC's blog sent in an E-mail in case Gram needs inspiration of add'l work needs to be done.

mcgreggor57
April 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
She's in our prayers.

tjcurtin1
April 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Thinking of you all, CB - best wishes and mojo to you.

bigoldron
April 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
We'll be praying for Gram too.

tot_Ou_tard
April 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Love & mojo from this quarter of the universe CB!

sumitomo
April 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear that CB,I'll fire off a signal flare to the great physician!Sumi:D

oldguy
April 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Prayers and mojo from us to all of you, CB.

street music
April 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'll send out a DOUBLE DOSE for you CB, may Gram have peace!

Gil Janus
April 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Major mojo being sent. Our best to you and yours.

Gil

Robert
April 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Mucho Mojo is going out to you.

aeolian
April 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Mojo on its way.

wingsdad
April 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
cb, whatever you & gram need, you got it from here. ;) You know that.
E-mails have been replied to, and major mojo mission on tap for me tomorrow. You know the number if you need it. ;)

Childbride
April 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
[exhausted and waiting from ph call from brother]

she's out of surgery.

gram, when she was little, had a horrifying experience with surgery and has since refused to let any dr put her under.

she's had significant thyroid surgery on local. no kidding.

when she had the double fracture on the first fall on her wrist first week of march, she had them give her a local and pull it out to set it. they wanted to put her under and put a pin in her wrist.

she did this on a spinal. i can't fathom.

she's pinned and recovering, and i expect the kyphoplasty either later this weekend or first of next week.

i'm trying to preserve leave, b/c i anticipate more issues that will cause me to take extended time off work in the future. i will be there with her soon.

this is hard.

i'm sick at my stomach...

i am processing that this woman, who is tougher than nails, the soul and strength of my childhood, is being wrought asunder. she is my strength, my moral compass, and my anchor. in the chaos of my childhood, she was switzerland; she was my support when no one else knew the right thing to say.

she was the best woman at my wedding with shiner.

i have to be stronger. i ask for continued mojo for her continued recovery.

oldguy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
You got it, CB. We're here for you. Mojo and prayers continue.

Kazz
April 3rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Mojo rising up to ya Kym.....

mrmudcat
April 3rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
prayers and mojo ..................

Brian Krashpad
April 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Mojo and prayers. Glad to hear she's on the other side of the surgery at least.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
sending mojo and prayers to you all, CB.:)

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Good mojo....good mojo....good mojo.... :AOK: :dude:

piebaldpython
April 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hopefully, Gram has the "worst" of it behind her. Mucho mojo.

Childbride
April 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thank You, Deeply, for your kind thoughts and mojo.

i got back a bit ago.

timing was perfect this weekend...

i ran into her md in the hall last night, and he was kind enough to take me to a computer where he showed me all of her xrays and mri shots, explained where the issues were, and where we will go from here.

they didn't pin her left hip, they completely replaced the thing.

and she's got to have two vertebrae fixed... L2 is visibly compressed in size. there are also issues two above L2.

that happens this coming wed/thurs, we think.

i watched her go through PT this morning, and realized just how far we have to travel together to get her where she was...

i can be strong enough for both of us.

thank you all for your support, it means the world to me...

:)

just strum
April 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
CB,

All things considered, how is her spirits? Hopefully she is a fighter and you keep encouraging her to move forward.

Childbride
April 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
CB,

All things considered, how is her spirits? Hopefully she is a fighter and you keep encouraging her to move forward.

[sigh]

in the morning, she's good ole leather pants gram.

she had me rolling early yesterday... [giggle]

as the day progresses, she gets more restless and quiet, unless she has visitors, then she perks up.

going into the evening... she just wants to go home. i can't explain what's in her eyes then, i just know it makes me sad.

if you don't move her, for the most part, you'd never know there was a thing wrong.

i saw them move her.

but she's tough. and i'm part her...

so together, we'll get there. :D ;)

street music
April 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Kim,
glad to hear she is doing better, hope all continues to improve.

oldguy
April 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
That's good news, we'll keep our fingers crossed and continue the prayers and mojo sent your way.:)

bigoldron
April 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM
We'll definitely continue praying for her and you too! Good luck and God bless you!

ZMAN
April 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I hope this helps. I have been going through this with my father. He is 82. He has had both knees replaced and when he was 79 he had quad bypass and a new heart valve. Well he plays golf 4 times a week and we WALKS the course.
I am totally amazed at how things have changed in Geriatric medicine. Heck he was up and walking the day after his heart operation.
It is really hard on them when they aren't mobile but I am sure she will be fine with the new hip. My Dad loves his new knees. After 45 years of pain it is all gone.
The problem with it is that it hurts US more than it does them.
Tell Grandma we send the best all the way from Canada.

Childbride
April 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM

thanks, guys...

the next part is going to be the kicker, and i deeply, deeply pray will be the turning point.

gram did the entire hip replacement on a spinal,

but in the next 48, she'll have to actually go under for a dual vertebrae kyphoplasty.

from all accounts, this could be the kicker, the thing that gets her up and walking.

right now she can't even sit up by herself.

gram, her entire life, has been fiercely, proudly independent, lived out in the country all by herself the last 21 years as a widow, managing completely on her own; up until 3/6, she was actually still driving, albeit just to the store, post office, hair dresser and to church. [always the back country roads, no hwys]

if she can't walk, she can't be independent. if she can't be independent, i'm terrified she will give up on me...

if you could extend your mojos to the end of this week, i owe you a debt.

thank y'all for your support...

this weekend, the byproxy is coming in, but i see a trip back south in my immediate future. [and lots more in the next 6 months]

k

marnold
April 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
if she can't walk, she can't be independent. if she can't be independent, i'm terrified she will give up on me...
From the way you've described her, I can't imagine her just giving up--especially not when she's got people like you around. My grandpa is 92 and has had more hip and back surgeries than I've had hot dinners. He as tough of an old kraut as there possibly could be. I wish I didn't live nine hours away, though.

Robert
April 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Mojo extended indefinitely, hope all goes well!

sunvalleylaw
April 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Mojo extended indefinitely, hope all goes well!

I will second that one. From your descriptions to us, it seems she finds ways to get where she wants to go.

Katastrophe
April 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
CB, mojo and prayers your way, both for strength for your Gram, and strength for you, Shiner and the family as you support her recovery.

It sounds like your Gram is one helluva lady. I wish her complete, quick and pain free recovery.

Childbride
April 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
only have five minutes

just wanted to post gram out of surgery on back and by all accounts so far so good

y'all's mojo worked!

hope to talk to her later this evening

THANK YOU!!! :)

Tone2TheBone
April 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Good to hear CB and the mojo will always work as long as we keep believing. :)

sumitomo
April 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Good news CB thanks for letting us know,she is very fortunate to have you around for her.Prayers continued.Sumi:D

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
CB, I know you're busy, but how's it going?
We're thinking of you guys.

Childbride
April 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM

i haven't even been on the computer for awhile, i've been so tied up every night... and i get on tonight to see y'all's continued support.

OG, thanks for asking.

it's been a roller coaster.

what was initially taken as a hunger strike turned out to be as simple as she has lost so much muscle strength she can't manipulate utensils well, and couldn't cut her food.

she goes through some petulance b/c she wants to go home. who wouldn't. i can't STAND being in the hospital. she gets frustrated. but she was on her back for over a month before they fixed the vertebrae, and mobility comes slowly after that... especially when you are 90.

she has her worst periods between 8 and 10 at night, that's when she slips a little with lucidity issues and wanting to just go home, being lonely and wanting her 'normal'.

but i talked to her for an extended period of time last night during that period, and she was with me, sharp, and determined. promised to do whatever it took to walk. she knows she can't go home to the country by herself w/o being able to walk.

it's day by day. but i believe in her. tough cookie. strongest woman i know. my role model when it comes to being strong, honest, moral, contributing to community...

she's been strong for me for 39 years. i'll be strong for her as long as it takes.

;)

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
We're still prayin' for you all...........and will continue.:)

sumitomo
April 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Tambien (as well) Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Very cool CB. How are you holding up?

Childbride
April 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Very cool CB. How are you holding up?

i am learning what to let upset me and what not. and there's an awful lot to the story that i'm not telling, b/c it is family, and personal.

i am learning to be strong like her.

i pick my battles.

[edit: i'm fine. :D ]

tot_Ou_tard
April 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM
i am learning what to let upset me and what not.

That's a good thing to really know in one's bones.

Keep on keepin' on CB!

Bloozcat
April 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hang in there CB...

The strength of Gram's character is within you too. No gift could be as meaningful as for you to be her loving strength in this, her time of need, as she's been yours all of these years. God doesn't burden you with more than you can handle. So lean on His strength, trust and believe, and you'll get through this together.

Continued prayers for your Gram....

piebaldpython
April 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Prayers for you and Gram from the PBP household. I am SMILING over your EDIT......as I had read the pre-edited version. :D Keep the faith my friend.

Childbride
August 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
this weekend, i was with Gram.

she met me at the door, sans walker.

she is now walking, on her own, in the house. it is a cautious, careful walk... not her old carefree stride... but it's her.

outside, she mumbles under her breath with her walker as she scoots around with a brace on her wrist [they said i would never walk again, well they don't know me, do they?]

she can step out of her house down to the porch, all by herself.... a 10" drop.

she hauled herself up into my SUV multiple times while i was there, all by herself.

in april/may... i can't tell you what i went through watching her. i doubted this time. i thought she would never walk again.

i took my gram to have texmex, her first out-to-dinner since her first fall 3/6, and we both ate a plate of chicken enchiladas with a beer, and life was good. i can't tell you what it's like to crack jokes over a beer with your gram, who is two months shy of 91, other than it is something you carry in your memory forever.

da&*, she's a fighter. and one of my strongest role models in life.

again, i thank all of you for your support. :)

sunvalleylaw
August 3rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Great report! Ladies like that are very special!

evenkeel
August 4th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Wonderful stuff CB!!! :bravo: :bravo:

street music
August 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM
CB THAT IS GREAT NEWS! Gram is a fighter for sure from what you have told us and that is the way many of the folks are, they don't have quit in that head in most cases it's fight to the end. I wish her many more days of goodtimes and toast to the family times.

peachhead
August 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hey, I just read this (a little behind) and I'm glad to know things are going well. Grandmothers are special people. I understand completely.

Childbride
August 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hey, I just read this (a little behind) and I'm glad to know things are going well. Grandmothers are special people. I understand completely.

;) thanks...

mrmudcat
August 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Great news!!!

Kazz
August 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Great news indeed CB...

oldguy
August 12th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Great news, CB, and we'll keep right on praying for all of you. :)

Childbride
August 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
thanks, to all. :)

she just got back from a road trip that she took with paternal family... i was very anxious about it, in that the trip was six hours in the car one way.

she made the five day out of state 'vacation' just fine, and was thrilled to go.

this makes me more confident in accomplishing one of her favorite things... [she's actually been bugging me about it... i used it as an 'encouragement promise' when things were really bad after the falls and she wouldn't get up]

me going down there and retrieving her for an extended weekend up here.

her 91st bday is 10/3...