PDA

View Full Version : Hockey poll....greatest player?

TS808
April 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
I saw Robert's hockey post on the shootout goal by Linus Omark, and I started thinking about Lemieux, Gretzky, Coffey, Jagr....I could go on and on.

Just curious....who do you think was the greatest hockey player you ever saw??

I lived in Pittsburgh all my life so I'm a little biased towards Lemieux, but in terms of an overall player who could skate, score goals, and set up a play, I have to go with....

Wayne Gretzky.

Robert
April 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
I think it has to be Gretzky, no doubt.

R_of_G
April 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
If not #99, than it's Bobby Orr. He changed the game completely. Still, my vote would be Gretzky.

SuperSwede
April 3rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Börje Salming for me, he did amazing things on the ice here in sweden (and over the pond too)

Jimi75
April 3rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Best German player of all time was Erich Kühnhackl.
Best worldwide player of all time must be Gretzky. Point.

:AOK:

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
One more post from me, and although I still think the answer is Gretzky, I thought it appropriate to mention Patrick Roy as well. It's difficult to compare goaltenders to position players, but Roy is, without question, the greatest goalie I have ever seen. There were so many nights he just decided the goal was closed and that was it, there was no scoring.

Blaze
April 3rd, 2009, 05:50 AM
First name that comes in my mind :Steve Yzerman, we can see him all over in these top ten best plays clips..:master: :master:

Bobby Orr was phenomenal in his time...

marnold
April 3rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I am SERIOUSLY biased but I'm going to say Stevie Y. too. I remember when he first came into the league and was dancing around everyone and scoring these amazing goals--but the Wings kept losing. He listened to Scotty Bowman and became a great two-way player and one of the best face-off men of his era. Then the Wings won their first Cup in 42 years. Gretzky was definitely a better offensive player, but Stevie had him in defense and leadership.

I'm glad that Stevie won those three Cups because otherwise I fear he would have become a historical footnote, having played at the same time as two of the best offensive players in history: Gretzky and Lemieux.

If you took it beyond people I've seen I'd of course add Mr. Hockey (who I think is the very definition of "power forward") as well as guys like Rocket Richard. The list could go on and on.

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Yzerman was definitely overshadowed by 99 & 66 but man was he ever a great player. Marnold brings up leadership and Yzerman had that in spades, but if we are talking about leadership, I have to bring up Mark Messier. The guy might be the greatest captain in the history of team sports.