PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah - Mason Williams

thekiwidisciple
April 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Anyone here know this song? I've got to learn it for my music exam at the end of the year (amongst other songs). It's a great piece, and is a challenge..I don't normally play classical pieces. The rubato timing is also very interesting.

Not sure if it's right to box it, but here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/mhnqe25u3x

Ben. :beer:

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Frisell did a wonderful version of it on his "Good Dog, Happy Man" album and plays it a lot live. Not sure I would classify it as a classical song. I've heard it arranged for classical guitar, but it's a folk song.

thekiwidisciple
April 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Oh...it is! I saw on the sheet music that it was only arranged by Mason. I'm not familiar with the original. I heard my guitar teacher referring to it as classical, so I just assumed that was the style...come to think of it, maybe he just meant classical guitar.

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
It's been recorded by such diverse artists as Bing Crosby, Bob Dylan, Keith Jarrett, Arlo Guthrie, Judy Garland, Alan Holdsworth, and Richard Thompson (and about a million other artists as well).

It's really a very beautiful piece of music. Good luck learning it. :AOK:

thekiwidisciple
April 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks.

tot_Ou_tard
April 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Frisell did a wonderful version of it on his "Good Dog, Happy Man" album and plays it a lot live.
What I was gonna say. There is also a live version on East/West. Great song.