PDA

View Full Version : This is happening right around the corner from me.

hubberjub
April 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30030756/

MSNBC is saying four people shot but the locals are stating that 12-15 are dead. This does not happen in upstate NY.

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Just reading that news break on MSN. Crazy.

sumitomo
April 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
The government wants to disarm us and these dummies that pull these selfish acts to get attention are going to make it happen.My heart goes out to the families that get hurt by these selfish acts. Sumi:mad:

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I was reading about it before I logged on here. Bad, bad situation.

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Real bad. I can't help thinking that as the stress generated by the economic shambles in this country continues to build, we're going to see more & more of this kind of thing. BTW, 2 million+ jobs lost in this country in the first 3 months of 2009....

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
If financial stress bugs me out so bad I can't take it, I hope I'm never evil enough to take innocent people's lives on the way out.
Many times the shooters end up dying by their own hand, it's a d@mn shame they have to kill someone else first.

piebaldpython
April 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
WOW. Mentally unbalanced folks live all over. No big city,town, hamlet, one-stop-light-dot-on-the-map is immune. If somebody gets over the edge, there isn't a darn thing you can do but PRAY.

tunghaichuan
April 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm horribly pessimistic about this. I think it is going to get much worse before it gets better. :(

tung

Spudman
April 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
The government wants to disarm us and these dummies that pull these selfish acts to get attention are going to make it happen.My heart goes out to the families that get hurt by these selfish acts. Sumi:mad:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Rocket
April 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I can't help thinking that as the stress generated by the economic shambles in this country continues to build, we're going to see more & more of this kind of thing.
Yes, I think I mentioned that in a thread generated not too long ago and was generally slammed for being a pessimistic downer type... let's see if you get the same slam.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm horribly pessimistic about this. I think it is going to get much worse before it gets better. :(

tung

That's not horribly pessimistic..............what makes you think it's going to get better?? (that's pessimistic)

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Yes, I think I mentioned that in a thread generated not too long ago and was generally slammed for being a pessimistic downer type... let's see if you get the same slam.

True, but I believe that thread ended with more people agreeing with your observation than not.

Robert
April 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Oh terrible, I don't know what to say other than I feel for everyone involved.

Rocket
April 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Humans are curiously unusual and unpredictable predatory animals. Just like with all other animals, when a comfortable and familiar environment becomes threatening will revert to more base responses.
Common knowledge from even casual observance of history proves that humans are capable of wildly horrific acts when normal established social boundaries & restraints become eroded.

(Glad I'm not one!)

hubberjub
April 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Well, it's over. The guy killed himself and we'll probably never really know what made him want to do it. My cell phone wouldn't stop ringing today. I'm a social worker and everyone assumed that I was at the Civic Association (though I've never set foot in the building). I live in upstate NY. Guns are everywhere. People take their kids out of school on the opening day of hunting season. That's how life is in this area. I have no problem with people owning guns. Most people I know have more than one. As strange as it sounds, I have never wanted to own a gun LESS than I do today. I'm not trying to spark a political debate, that's just how I feel.

just strum
April 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
If you read the MSNBC news article it seems easy to tell what triggered it and why he picked his target. Then again, when the mind is capable of doing what he did, you never really know for sure.

Plank_Spanker
April 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Another whack job psycho looking to go out in a blaze of glory under the bright lights of the media.........................

I don't buy into the media drivel of the current economic situation pushing normal people into something like this. It plays well for the sound byte crowd, but normal people don't react like this........................."I need to go on a shooting rampage to show the world my angst?" Not likely. This individual was very "disturbed" to start with.

My heart goes out to the families....................

just strum
April 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't disagree that the people that are commiting these acts are menatlly ill, but I do believe it's the economy that is driving them over the edge.

If you were to look up all of the killings (involving several people) in recent months, I think you might find a common thread "recently lost his job" and male. Apparently women take losing their job better than men, must be a macho thing.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't disagree that the people that are commiting these acts are menatlly ill, but I do believe it's the economy that is driving them over the edge.

If you were to look up all of the killings (involving several people) in recent months, I think you might find a common thread "recently lost his job" and male. Apparently women take losing their job better than men, must be a macho thing.

I agree with you somewhat, Mark. In the context that humans, mostly men, in this country, are used to having their creature comforts and material objects, and fear having them taken away. If enough fear and paranoia is generated by the media, the less stable individuals will react, often violently.
One might embrace what is good, and protect loved ones, while another might seek to harm or even kill what they perceive as "the enemy", or the cause of their predicament. One person might only want to survive the lean times and see their friends and family do the same, while others (usually those wanting to maintain the status quo, and easily persuaded to do another's bidding), might want to destroy an entire race to assure their own comfort. This includes race wars, immigrants, class wars, government policies, etc.
I'll stop before this becomes a political or religious topic.
Historically, however, it is a fact!

tjcurtin1
April 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Humans are curiously unusual and unpredictable predatory animals.

(Glad I'm not one!)

This is a big part of the problem of modern life - human beings have been told so often that we're really just animals that we respond by acting like them. I assiduously disagree; case in point is the human love of music (and other spiritual endeavors). I would suggest that part of the trauma of living for some folks is the loss of an inner life. Of course, some people are just mentally unbalanced.

When you say you're 'glad you're not one' Rocket, I hope you mean you're glad that you're not an animal!

just strum
April 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
OG, first, I agree, no need to stray into politics.

Second, you make a very good point about the media stirring things up. A case of them dwelling on all the bad news and giving out the economy numbers.

As I believe I stated here, they focus on the 8 to 10% unemployment in areas of the country, but say little about the 90% that are working.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Very true!
Working in Kansas City, I'll hear/see at least one murder story each morning.
A shooting, a body found in a car, a stabbing. One at a time, it's just local news......... but when it's an abandoned warehouse full of bodies found in metal drums, it's national news.
The media feeding frenzy in search of ratings is sickening to me. Keep reporting the depressing side of life for money and reap the harvest.....more news! Stay tuned for the latest at 10:00!

just strum
April 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I sent letters to all of the world leaders and suggested that they send everyone in their country a guitar, but so far no one has tried my suggestion.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Not even Denmark?

Rocket
April 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
This is a big part of the problem of modern life - human beings have been told so often that we're really just animals that we respond by acting like them. I assiduously disagree; case in point is the human love of music (and other spiritual endeavors). I would suggest that part of the trauma of living for some folks is the loss of an inner life. Of course, some people are just mentally unbalanced.

When you say you're 'glad you're not one' Rocket, I hope you mean you're glad that you're not an animal!
Humans... still animals, biological creatures in the scientific sense. Posession of large brains and appreciation of art doesn't exclude human species from the animal kingdom.

(Still glad I'm not one!)

just strum
April 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Not even Denmark?

Not even Denmark.

Hey, maybe a guitars for guns program.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't work for me..... I like both. I wouldn't trade my fishing gear for guitars or guns either, though. Nor my power tools, I need something to remind me I'm not a carpenter!

just strum
April 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Wouldn't work for me..... I like both. I wouldn't trade my fishing gear for guitars or guns either, though. Nor my power tools, I need something to remind me I'm not a carpenter!

I'm targeting the ones owned by people that would be more likely to mug me than a guy in Kansas that would share some fresh food with me.

oldguy
April 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I know that guy! His name's Larry, and he's a coyote hunter. Good fella.
Likes to deer hunt, too.

tjcurtin1
April 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
(Still glad I'm not one!)
Ah, Rocket - you think, therefore you are! You might as well join the wild, sweet, bitter, challenging, joyful party - even a misanthrope can't escape the fact that they are an anthropo themselves!:poke: ;)

Rocket
April 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Ah, Rocket - you think, therefore you are! You might as well join the wild, sweet, bitter, challenging, joyful party - even a misanthrope can't escape the fact that they are an anthropo themselves!
Ahh, an anthropologist does not necessarily make an anthropos... just because one is schooled in entomology does not make one a mantis.

(We are only here to study your species!)

just strum
April 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
And in Pittsburgh, the beat goes on:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30043893/

Well the news folks will have something to talk and write about all weekend.

street music
April 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Old , I agree with you. I wouldn't want to give up what protection I feel by letting my guns go.

wingsdad
April 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Oh terrible, I don't know what to say other than I feel for everyone involved.

Murderers' families and Murder Victims Survivors lives are indelibly, irretrievably altered forever.

The Binghampton perp was found with a 9mm and a .45. Handguns aren't the best choice of guns for hunting food game, but they are for killing people at close range. They don't even have to be good or powerful, and the shooter doesn't even have be accurate to be deadly. Just hit the right spot.

Motive. Means. Opportunity.

tjcurtin1
April 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Ahh, an anthropologist does not necessarily make an anthropos... just because one is schooled in entomology does not make one a mantis.

:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
April 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM
We got here first Buster!

Rocket
April 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
We got here first Buster!
We have the same goal... "To Serve Man":

http://www.twilightzonemuseum.com/media/props/images/props_toserveman.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
April 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
We have the same goal... "To Serve Man":

http://www.twilightzonemuseum.com/media/props/images/props_toserveman.jpg Tasty ain't they. They are a self-fattening, self-slaughtering species that that grows their own spices, condiments, & other flavorings. Talk about no fuss meals.

Blaze
April 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
It s getting worst ..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512581,00.html