PDA

View Full Version : A Road Story

t_ross33
July 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Thought I'd post this for anyone who cares... :)

We played our first bar gig this weekend (well, first as a band anyway, we've all done it before but not for quite a few years). We rocked the place! It's funny, I knew we were pretty good (not great, but pretty darn good), but for some odd reason playing a bar and doing a good job in some way validated us as a band. We are no longer "those local guys that have a band", we are A BAND on par with any that may travel through our neck of the woods. Our stock just went up...as did our booking price :R

Funny story... we hosted an open jam session Saturday afternoon (a first for Humboldt. In the 9 years I've lived here, I've never seen one). It was fairly well attended and there are some good singers and players around. It was also the weekend that Humboldt (with a strong German heritage) hosts an annual PolkaFest. One fellow showed up from the PolkaFest with a banjo and sits down on stage with us. Uhm...okay! We had fun for a few hours, played alot of 50's and 60's stuff, some old country, even had a fiddle player drop in so we did some old bluegrass type stuff. Our drummer (an 80's rock/hair-metal drummer mind you) held his own :p

Saturday night, about half way through our second set, banjo-man shows up and plunks down on the stage. After we told him that this was no longer the open jam session, that it would be much louder and more rockin' and we weren't deviating from our set list, he elected to stay. He lasted about 4 songs, none of which were banjo-friendly I'm sorry to say (not much banjo in classic rock :D ). He left, we played a tight set and I had a great weekend with my friends and bandmates. A guy can't ask for much more than that.

Tim
July 26th, 2006, 09:04 AM
That's an awesome story. That’s what it is all about.

oldguy
July 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM
T-Ross
Kudos! to you guys! Keep up the good(great)work. I won't bore you with the time a "portly" gal showed up and played "spoons" with us onstage in Nebraska!:eek:
Keep Rockin', Brother Fretter!:D
Glenn

Robert
July 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Glenn, that sounds just like the material for a new thread!

Great to hear you had some fun playing, T-Ross!