PDA

View Full Version : Toneport Gearbox problem

Robert
April 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I have discovered a problem when I record with Toneport and Gearbox. I get weird overtones/harmonics when I use Gearbox. It's more noticeable on certain notes and with low gain.

The interesting part is that if I use my Marshall line out feature into the Toneport, there is no hum. So, it seems the Gearbox software isn't liking the Toneport for some reason.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ragnarpk
April 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
i've been using toneport and gearbox a lot on every possible setting with and without my own pedals, amps etc... but i never get anything like that... you're probably better off contacting line 6 :s

Robert
April 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I am using the latest driver for my Toneport UX1.

If I use Gearbox with no amp simulation, I don't get this overtone isseu, but I pick any amp model, the problem occurs.

Have a listen to this Gearbox Overtone Issue clip (http://www.box.net/shared/9v51z7s22h), and see if you can hear what I mean. It's subtle but sometimes on certain settings, it gets very pronounced. You may need headphones to notice, or decent speakers. Listen for that extra overtone after I hit a note. Can you hear it? It's bloody annoying.

Algonquin
April 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Yes, I can hear it. It's a lower tone, but I don't hear it on each note played.

I haven't experienced that issue with mine, but maybe I haven't been listening closely enough. I'll try a test with mine later this week when time permits to try and see if I can replicate what you've described.

ragnarpk
April 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ah yeah, i hear it... i tried messing around with a bunch of settings, but never get this problem.. so i really don't know what could be wrong, sorry :/

but i'm not using a UX1..

Algonquin
April 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Can you replicate the same overtones when using either your Telecaster or MK?

Just curious.

Robert
April 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yes, it does not matter what guitar I use, same problem.

Spudman
April 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'll search the Line6 forums for you and get back to you.

Robert
April 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I posted on the Line 6 forum but no reply so far.

Thanks Spudwie.

Spudman
April 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Here is the old forum. You might find what you are looking for here.
http://line6.com/supportarchive/forum/25

Robert
April 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Well, I think the issue is clear now. It turns out, this ghost note or overtone issue is by design. Apparently, this is what the real AC30 amps do, and the vintage Fenders do as well. So, Line 6 added this "feature" into Gearbox, staying true to originals...

Kinda sucks I think, because I really, really like that AC30TB model in Gearbox, but I do get annoyed by those ghost notes when playing single note stuff.

You can try it yourself - use the AC30TB model and play some notes around the 10-12 fret and you should be able to hear it too.

The clip I recorded uses the AC30TB model. I can also hear these ghost notes on the Bassman and Deluxe Fender models, but less so. On the Marshalls, they are pretty much nil, I think. All the other amp models I've tried did not have these ghost notes.

Algonquin
April 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the update... much appreciated!

:beer: