PDA

View Full Version : The smell of the bat, the crack of the grass

birv2
April 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yes, it's finally baseball season again!

I'm a huge fan of the sport itself. My NL team won it all last year, and my AL team, the Jays, are ready for another mediocre season, duking it out with the O's for last place in the AL East. In either case, I'm happy to see real games that matter.

Oh, and I just read the the MLB Extra Innings package has a free preview this week on Comcast Cable.

Play ball!

Bob

Algonquin
April 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
The smell of the bat, the crack of the grass :bravo:

After a brief fallout with baseball, I'm starting to get back into it and enjoy it for what it is. On weekends I like to listen to the games on the radio while I putter around doing yard work. I try to get down and see a few games at the park each year too... always a great time.

Expectations for me aren't too high for this years team, but I'll enjoy what I do watch and hopefully the season is entertaining.

Play Ball! :beer:

just strum
April 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Well...

uTl-NnuLjaE

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Though I don't follow baseball closely, I love to go to a game or two each year. My old hometown minor league field in Tacoma (Cheney Stadium, Tacoma Rainers. Makes me feel like I am in the Bull Durham movie) is a favorite, and we got take the kids to our first game in Safeco Field in Seattle last year to watch the M's. I had not seen a live M's game since the days of Gaylord Perry. It was great, something special about it, despite all the crap that sometimes infects it.

just strum
April 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Tickets to games are always plentiful for baseball teams in the Cleveland area (my suppliers are always handing them out) we have out Major League Cleveland Indians; our triple A team the Akron Aeros (affiliate Cleveland Indians); and Low A league Lake County Captains (affiliate Cleveland Indians).

All three have new parks and I would actually like to take in some of the minor league games and watch guys play to advance instead of playing for next years contract.

I'm not a big baseball fan, but my wish for local baseball is a Natioanl League team - American League sucks because of the DH. It isn't baseball if the pitcher doesn't have to bat.

birv2
April 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I love minor league baseball. You can get close to the players, and it's always a nice family atmosphere. And a lot cheaper!

We have an Atlantic League team here, the Lancaster Barnstormers. The Atlantic League is non-affiliated, but it's a great new park, and they work hard to make it a fun experience. Of course, I'm happy even without the between-inning T-shirt guns, sausage races, etc.

A great way to spend an evening!

Bob

sunvalleylaw
April 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Though I don't follow baseball closely, I love to go to a game or two each year. My old hometown minor league field in Tacoma (Cheney Stadium, Tacoma Rainers. Makes me feel like I am in the Bull Durham movie) is a favorite, . . . .

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/671-836065highlightprod_affiliate5.jpg

Here is a piece on Cheney Stadium, my favorite baseball stadium, which is celebrating its 50th season this year.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/1042/story/712105.html

I am looking forward to catching a game there with the kids this year, when we go visit my folks. Last time, the kids got to run around in the outfield with the mascot. Great fun!

piebaldpython
April 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Back here in Philly, it FINALLY warmed up over the past two days. The COLD of winter just never seemed to leave until yesterday. Sheesh!

Yep, the Fightin' Phils won it all last year and the city is overjoyed. Sadly, longtime superstar announcer Harry Kalas died right before a game this past week and so WE mourn.

Play ball!!

P.S...the Sixers and Flyers are in the playoffs right now. Frankly, with the Flyers playing the Penguins, that should be as far as they go this year. The Sixers have a better shot than the Flyers as they narrowly avoided having to play the Celtics in the first round.

just strum
April 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
The Indians beat the Yankees yesterday (10-2) and as far as I'm concerned they need not have to win anymore (and they probably won't). I keep telling the die hard Indians fans at work - what are you cheering about, they are already mathmatically eliminated

GO CAVS

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/6g7qlg78.jpg

just strum
April 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM
The Indians will never get respect.

They beat the Yankees 10 - 2 and the one headline I saw was something like "Yankees lose opener of new stadium"

They beat the Yankees today 24 - 4 and the headline reads "Ugly in the Bronx"

The Yankees beat Cleveland yesterday 6 - 5 and the headline was "Yankees Clobber Tribe"

So, when the Indians lose by 1 they are clobbered, but when they beat the Yankees by 8 and two days later by 20 it's a home opener loss and ugly.

The headlines should have read "Tribe kicked the #$$% #$#Q$ #$%^ out of the @#$#$ Yankees"

sunvalleylaw
October 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Here is a little bit of treasure for you all. Jr. is just special.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200910036989283&c_id=sea

The Mariners may not be contenders this year, but they still provide some of that "crack of the bat" magic now and then.

R_of_G
October 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
barring injuries, griffey would be the all-time home run king right now and unlike mr. bonds, griffey would have achieved it without cheating.

i loved ken griffey sr and i have always been a fan of junior. he is easily the best player of his generation and a first ballot hall of famer.