PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Wood/Early 70's Stones tone

homelife88
April 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm looking for an amp that can get me in the ballpark of this tone. Does anyone know of any lower wattage amps out there that can get me close to the tone of an overdriven Ampeg V4, V-22, V-40, etc?

tunghaichuan
April 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I remember playing an Ampeg AX-70 amp that nailed the early 70s Stones' sound. This was 20 years ago, though. The amp itself is a hybrid: 12AX7 in the preamp, solid state power amp. I remember that amp nailing the Stones' crunch. YMMV.

tung

I'm looking for an amp that can get me in the ballpark of this tone. Does anyone know of any lower wattage amps out there that can get me close to the tone of an overdriven Ampeg V4, V-22, V-40, etc?

homelife88
April 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I remember playing an Ampeg AX-70 amp that nailed the early 70s Stones' sound. This was 20 years ago, though. The amp itself is a hybrid: 12AX7 in the preamp, solid state power amp. I remember that amp nailing the Stones' crunch. YMMV.

tung
Those seem pretty hard to come by.

tunghaichuan
April 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Those seem pretty hard to come by.

Yeah, they are. I've never seen a used one. I know of a guy who has one, but he is a real d-bag, so I didn't bother seeing if he'd part with it.

tung

homelife88
April 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, they are. I've never seen a used one. I know of a guy who has one, but he is a real d-bag, so I didn't bother seeing if he'd part with it.

tung
LOL Well thanks for the help. It looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of experimenting. I'm also looking for a fuzz pedal that might be able to get me close...