PDA

View Full Version : let me allow myself to intoduce myself"and what is it that you do do?"

larryx
April 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hello fellow fretters, I'm the person known as larryx. I will give an idea of who I am am where I am coming from with my posts. I first of all will try not to come off as a know it all or a guitar god. That is not the intent of anyone on in this paticular forum.

I have been involved in music from a very early age. My Father,and grand father were both Union musicians around the New York area. Which allowed me to have an intimate experience with the music industry. I was able to meet and listen to some amazing players. Sal Salvadore was a good friend of my Dads. He shared many a ride to a gig in his big Caddie.My Dad said "they could fit half of the orchestra in the trunk of that boat and still have room for six"
My Father and Grandfather owned a music store for over 40 years.They sold instruments (yes even electric guitars and amps!) They were one of the first Ovation dealers in Connecticut 1971 if I remember correctly? They also sold sheet music, and gave music lessons. The store went out of buisness in 1976 just before I would have graduated high school. Big stores like Sam Ash were just coming on strong. They couldn't compete.

My brother is about 8 years my senior. He was involved in R&b Bands "with authentic ethnic players! "God it's so PC out west!!! I was so fortunate to grow up and get to know all these guys as a little kid!

At the age of 7 my brother decided that he needed someone to practice with more often than twice a week. He then convinced my Dad to give me my first guitar. It was an experiment at the time. My brother has always been the mad scientist type. He came up with a makeshift bass guitar for me to cut my teeth on. It was a Stella acoustic guitar strung up with 4 strings (bass style) It had a DeArmond soundhole pick up!

The greatest thing was (and my Dad had no idea)this really bad bass guitar came with a Vintage (new at the time)Supro 30 watt 2x12 twin amp!!!!
This was in the year 1967! I was 7 1/2 years old.

I quickly learned songs like Sittin on the dock of the bay,Mustang Sally,Heatwave and others. My brother told my Dad that I was getting this stuff faster than the teenage Bassplayer in their band. So by the age of 8 ,I was sitting in with the band at rehearsals and school dances. With a real Zimgar Bass Guitar!

My brother and I shared bunkbeds until he was old enough to get drafted. We used to listen to all kinds of TV shows and records. These were recorded onto an old Voice of Music 7" reel to reel. My favorite recording was from this really strange looking trio. The picture on the "ALBUM COVER" was taken though a fish eye lens and the guitar on it was like something from outter space. I remember asking my brother "is that one guitar or two?" Is that a guitar sound or something else? As the electric eye VU meter would magicaly move to the beat! It was of course the "ARE YOU EXPERIENCED" album that was (just released!) It was given to my brother by the black drummer in his band. The drummer said "your a guitar player,maybe you'd like this stuff." Well I liked it all right!!! I even brought it to music show and tell class in the 2nd grade. I asked the teacher to play the cut named The 3rd Stone From The Sun. You should have seen the looks that I got from everyone in that room,including the teacher! All these other children bringing in The Archies "Sugar Sugar", The Beatles "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" etc..ect..

My brother came back from Viet Nam in 1972 with a 1971 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty" That was it for me" Time to learn the 6 string! It has been a never ending saga of hearing and wanting to play whatever moves me. The guitars amps and music influences have changed over the years. But my love for the electric guitar and the music and sounds that it emotes will go on forever in my soul. I'm not one to stroke myself by listing equiptment that I own " I JUST LET MY GUITAR DO THE TALKING";)

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
larryx, I'm certain that your post is very interesting, but could you perhaps go back & add some line breaks?

It'd be much easier on my alien brain if there were paragraphs.

Spudman
April 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
larryx, I'm certain that your post is very interesting, but could you perhaps go back & add some line breaks?

It'd be much easier on my alien brain if there were paragraphs.

Done;)

Welcome Larry. Great to have you here and we hope you'll continue to contribute. Your experience will be greatly appreciated.

But one thing...you keep spelling amps wrong. Around here it is 'amphs'. That should keep you guessing. (use the search function):D

just strum
April 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
But one thing...you keep spelling amps wrong. Around here it is 'amphs'. That should keep you guessing. (use the search function):D

jeez, you get them wondering right out of the gate!!

Larry, interesting background. Most of us here are not big fans of the big box stores, so it is sad to hear that your family lost out to that gang.

Looking forward to posts from you. There is a good mix of beginners and seasoned players here. We like good information and we like to have fun.

larryx
April 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
:confused: Amph's? Huh, Isn't that short for amphibians?

just strum
April 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
:confused: Amph's? Huh, Isn't that short for amphibians?

you're getting colder. Search for the answer you seek and you will be rewarded with wisdom. Or in on the humor behind the spelling.

larryx
April 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
:confused: It's not easy to tell the old grumpy ones from the young pretentious ones.

Sometimes thoughts are spontaneous. They just need to come out. I was sharing some personal background and stories. I didn't think that I was in English lit 1? Sorry for the headspinning dialog. I do that sometimes. So don't be offended. It's not intentional.:thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Great story larryx!!!

I love the Hendrix Show & tell moment. Deeply cool.

You've got me wondering about the ZimGar into a Supro. I've never heard of ZimGar before.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:U80pyy8j8sSm4M:http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/264/1812999/photo1_0dea8.jpg

just strum
April 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
:confused: It's not easy to tell the old grumpy ones from the young pretentious ones.

Sometimes thoughts are spontaneous. They just need to come out. I was sharing some personal background and stories. I didn't think that I was in English lit 1? Sorry for the headspinning dialog. I do that sometimes. So don't be offended. It's not intentional.:thwap:

We're all old grumpy ones.

Don't pay no mind to the English Lit, you could make a fortune here if you were able to sell spell check. Despite Tot's advanced knowledge of our species, there are still some things he struggles with and he wasn't given fair warning before his spacecraft lifted off.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
We're all old grumpy ones.

Don't pay no mind to the English Lit, you could make a fortune here if you were able to sell spell check. Despite Tot's advanced knowledge of our species, there are still some things he struggles with and he wasn't given fair warning before his spacecraft lifted off. No harm larryx.

I'm certainly not young & I wasn't meaning to be grumpy either. My comment was not about the rules of grammer, but rather about eyestrain.

It's just that it's hard enough to think in only three physical directions. What is really strange is that earthlings communicate with electrons, but only use two of those directions. What's up wit dat? :D

Welcome & stress not. If you feel more comfortable running lines together, I'll adjust.

just strum
April 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Most of us have a better appreciation for bigger font.

Spudman
April 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Most of us have a better appreciation for bigger font.

I was wondering when that was going to happen. Not only can I read it better but it makes it much easier to hear too.:)

larryx
April 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hello gang,No harm meant no harm taken.
I'm easily amused by my fellow earthlings!

The Zimgar Company was Japanese. They made some interesting guitars in the 60's. They were one step above Teisco and others when it came to original design and build quality. Not sure how long the were around. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure that I got the spelling correct! I managed to kill what I think were the Jensen speakers in the Supro. I at one point bought Radio Shack musical instrument speakers for it. I think I paid $25 for each speaker back in the early to mid 70's. I remember they had a very ice picky sound .The speakers frames were bright (Chevy engine block orange!) And they had an aluminum dustcap.I think that this may have added to the ice picky nature of the speakers.
As far as the now infamouse Jimi Hendrix incident. It was somewhere in White Plains N.Y. I can't for the life of me remember what the venue was. I know that I had been to shows in the very same auditorium.I need to call my sister and ask. But the fact remains. The Experience warmed up for The Monkeys.He humped his Marshalls and got booed off stage by some irate mommies!! I can only imagine the looks on their faces. Church lady comes to mind!:rotflmao:

markb
April 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hello gang,No harm meant no harm taken.
I'm easily amused by my fellow earthlings!

So you're still mad at Tot :) ?

Hi, Larry. Nice tales. Even I've never seen a Zimgar, we probably didn't have them in the UK.

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
welcome larryx!

wingsdad
April 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Welcom aboard, larryx.:beer:

The Zimgar Company was Japanese. They made some interesting guitars in the 60's. They were one step above Teisco and others when it came to original design and build quality. ...
I remember ZimGar. Along with Kent & Teisco, they got Japanese guitars off to their...uh...weak reputation in the 60's. Pawn Shops in White Plains were loaded w/ them for $40-50. Cheap, when a new Fender Tele at Sam Ash was around $150,a Gibson ES330 was about $260 and a Deluxe Reverb was $170.

...As far as the now infamouse Jimi Hendrix incident. It was somewhere in White Plains N.Y. I can't for the life of me remember what the venue was. I know that I had been to shows in the very same auditorium. ...
Not too many concert venue auditorium options in White Plains around the end of the 60's/early 70's other than the County Center. Could that be it?

tot_Ou_tard
April 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
So you're still mad at Tot :) ?

;)

I feel like I'm in a Geico commercial.

Font so big even an alien can read it.

larryx
April 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure it was! Wow! You know your WEST CHEST UH! Dontcha! Former life maybe?

Thanks for the reboot!

larryx
April 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah, And the "Capital Theater "in Port Chester!! Great shows there as well!

Thanks for the memories, :thwap: :poke:

Viking Power
April 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Welcome Larry. Loved reading your bio!

just strum
April 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I was wondering when that was going to happen. Not only can I read it better but it makes it much easier to hear too.:)

If it wasn't for the colors here that are easy on the eyes, my eyes would be in the same shape as my hearing.

Did I post too loud? It's bad enough I am always being told to turn it down at home, now I am in trouble here?

Suhnton
April 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
As far as the now infamous Jimi Hendrix incident. It was somewhere in White Plains N.Y. I can't for the life of me remember what the venue was. I know that I had been to shows in the very same auditorium.I need to call my sister and ask. But the fact remains. The Experience warmed up for The Monkeys.He humped his Marshalls and got booed off stage by some irate mommies!! I can only imagine the looks on their faces. Church lady comes to mind!:rotflmao:

Hi LarryX, welcome to The Fret, nice introduction.
I remember reading about that Jimi Hendrix incident (I think the book was wriiten by Charles Shaar Murray). According to the book, he wasn't happy about opening for The Monkees, so played up his "onstage antics". Anyway, it's nice to meet someone who was actually there.

wingsdad
April 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
...I'm pretty sure it was! Wow! You know your WEST CHEST UH! Dontcha! Former life maybe?
It was 'home' for a big chunk of my life. Ossining HS, '68. Even tho I moved on and around the Northeast and back and forth after that til finally moving to SoCal in '90, my parents called it home til '86. So, yeah.;)

Brian Krashpad
April 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Welcome Larry!

Robert
April 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Welcome Larry. :wave:

mrmudcat
April 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
From one larry to another.............. Welcome !!!!!!!:beer:

larryx
April 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
ROUTE 9A Can't forget it! Briarcliff Manor was THE RADIO STATION way back when! Nice view of Sing Sing Prison from there!! Had a girlfriend who lived in Ossining N.Y. I rememer driving back from her apartment and having the brakes seize up on my 70 VW Beatle half way back to Portchester ! Now that sucked! Oh the memories and the madness!!!!:thwap:
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Nice to be aboard! Or a guitar player, Or a board guitar player........er........something like that!

larryx
April 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for responding. As far as my being at the Hendrix warming up for the monkeys and his Marshall humping act. I was not actually at the show. But my older sister was. I got the story second hand. From the eyes of who was then a 14 year old girl. She and a friend were there to see the Monkeys!! Now my sister and I can bust a gut over the story! I on the otherhand was her 7 year old little brother. Who ,at the time was secretly listening to Hendrix with his "big brother" before beddy byes! I would have loved to have been there. If my brother and I had known who the warm up band was going to be!!!!!!!!!:thwap:

As Eor would say "thanks fer note uh sin"

Suhnton
April 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Oh OK. Well, a family member is good enough. Also, the book stated that on that tour Hendrix had signed a contract to use Sun amps (don't know if it's Sunn) and he hated them so much he broke a few onstage. Perhaps the humping was a sign of things to come (pun unintended).

wingsdad
April 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
...Briarcliff Manor was ...
...my home town. :dude: But I went to Ossining HS. With the prison down by the river, spent many a hot summer night parked overlooking it, watching 'the submarine races' ...sort of a 'snipe hunt' rite of passage activity.. conducted with an innocent member of the opposite sex & ulterior motives fueled by 6-packs of Colt 45. Being from Port Chester, I s'pose you may have enyoyed a similar 'sport' overlooking the LI Sound at Rye Playland...

Small world, larryx. Small world.;)

Monkus
April 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
welcome larryx....! what a classic intro!

larryx
April 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Oh man, don't you know it!The only time I get to see the coast (west one that is)takes an hour and a half drive! That kinda sucks cuz I was a sound rat when I was a kid!:beer: