PDA

View Full Version : Getting a show

pes_laul
April 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ok so our band has gotten a bass player, got all our songs down, got a big variety of songs, recorded a short demo, have a myspace: now we just need to find us some shows.
in my old bands Ive always relied on other people but now its up to me. any suggestions on how to find a gig?

t_ross33
April 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
not sure what the live music climate is where you are at, and I assume at this time, bars are out for you. So...

Get involved with any local music associations, talk to friends and friends of friends. Open mic nights and "Pay to play" venues might be an option. Play some backyard parties and BBQ's, do anything and everything you can to get the word out.

Don't get sucked into "deals" with promoters at this stage, but that said there are some who are trying to advance local talent and not out for a buck. We have a local promoter that has been pretty successful booking small local shows that attract up and coming bands from all over Western Canada.

Check at your local music store/rental center, they might be able to give you some contacts.

Appropriate venues are probably the toughest thing to source for an all-ages format show, but ask around. Go to shows and talk to the organizers/promoters and find out what you need to do to get on the bill of the next show.

Don't expect to get rich and/or famous. This is due-paying time, young Padawan ;)

Talk to anyone and everyone. Build a network and work hard at developing it.

Brian Krashpad
April 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
In some places, churches will host all-ages shows, ask around.

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Churches, community events, parties of any type, any and all clubs. We got gigs by asking who was in charge and handing that person a professionally done tape with three songs. Any open mic night or battle of the bands events are good, too.

Steve Morse built up a following with the Dixie Dregs by starting out playing for free in a local park. Find out what the rules are in your city for such a thing.

At this stage (and your age), building up a group of rabid fans is the most important thing.

Beware the shady promoter who will brag about his contacts in the music world. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Keep the band together and control every expense.

Good luck, man!:AOK:

bigoldron
April 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Pes, I'm not familiar with your area, but around here, there's usually some kind of "festival" going on, not only just in small towns, but larger ones as well. We have a Fall Harvest Festival that my kids perform at and we've got the American Cancer Society "Relay for Life" coming up. Usually, these festivals have some kind of entertainment going on and a lot of them are wanting performers to show up. Just my two cents. Good luck, Rock Star.