PDA

View Full Version : Deafness and technology

deafelectromark
April 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Hi Guys!

I finally found this 'proper place' to talk about myself. Right now I am working with Crate 'tube' amps to improve their performance and lower the noisy hiss that the Crate V5 in particular, has. You can see my posts starting at number 16 in the V5 thread. I believe that the less there is between your guitar and speaker, the better. KISS!

I have been losing my hearing since I was young (I am 52 now) and am completely deaf now. The electro part of my name is because I used to work in electronics and I made my own hearing devices. I have a cochlear implant now that helps a lot, its great! I am manoteal on the 18watt and SEwatt threads.

Manoteal@cox.net is my email if a customer has to contact me directly. My cell is 760-917-1408. Believe it or not, I can hear on the phone now and not rely on TTY's or relay operators to make phone calls.
Nice meeting you guys. I do see a lot of names that was part of the Epi VJr, 18watt thread (mostly thaichangtung?- is that right?

I am currently building my own guitars and I play cheap 'Fender' Squires and cheap Epiphone 'Gibsons'. I have two basses- one I made myself, and a little Fender Squire Bronco that is smallish and very comfortable for guitar players. It only needed a decent pickup (Select stacked humbucker to fit in the single coil slot- the one I pulled out had SIX poles pieces!) and 6 electric guitars as mentioned above. I have two acoustic/electric guitars- one EKO, made in Italy 12 string birds-eye and curly all maple body. The top is spruce and suffered for the stress of the strings so I pulled off the bridge glued to the top after heating with a heat lamp) and got 2 metal pieces and bolted them together inside and out along with 70 pounds of books to help flatten it back into shape, I added a trapeze tail-piece to keep the top from trying to twist again. I have an Ovation Celebrity and and a acoustic Epiphone, Made in Japan. I also have two Made in Mexico classical guitars for finger working and flat fingerboard exercises.

I even made myself and acoustic-electric bango using vintage (1940's) cast aluminum pot and a cheap electric guitar neck reformed to fit the round body of the banjo. I had to make my own bridge since the plastic 'head' would sink into the bowl and you would lose all your action. If you tightened the head too much- it would split and basically kill itself. I used a bottom of a archtop wooden bridge sanded don to make it thin enough to super glue a thin, bone saddle to it. It works! Everything else on the banjo is stock and I can re bolt the original neck with no problems.

I have made a Franken-Strat with a SOLID quilted maple body The guitar shop where I got it said that it could make 5 or 6 'caps' over cheaper wood. It is VERY heavy- gotta sit down if you want to play this one for long sessions. I got a vintage early '70's neck (Fender Stratocaster) and a Lace Sensor split coil humbucker to get two different single coil sound and a rich, slightly unbalanced tone when they are wired in series and buckin' the hum.

I have two blocks of interesting wood that I am making into guitars- a smaller one (with real Oregon myrtle wood with flames and leopard spots!)will use all original Tiesco del Rey parts (from my first guitar I actually bought in 1970 when I was 14. I will be copying the original design shape that is kinda a kinda weird shape and a Strat look-alike headstock. The original guitar was made of plywood for the body and neck, and the neck has been polished from many years of use and is low, slick and has a slightly shorter scale (1/2 inch less than Gibson's scale length).

Another guitar build will be with rare Honduras Mahogany the is super light like Mahogany, but it is quilted very nicely (flame, curtained, whatever you call it) and is a big plank, On this body I want to make an electric 12 string with perhaps a piezo pickup to blend with the electromagnetic Puppie.

I have many amplifier projects that I don't have much time to do as I have a business called Marx Handyworx that does handyman work, custom installations of audio/video equipment, and repairs and modding both the guitars and amps of either sex. I have a small shop in my town of El Cajon; which is about 20 miles inland from the San Diego coast. I gets both hot and cold here since we are in a valley and the hills to the west of us block the cooling offshore breezes.

That should be a start. Any questions?-just jump right in!
Mark:rockon:

tunghaichuan
April 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Mark,

Welcome to The Fret. I recognize the name Manoteal from the 18W/VJ discussions. Glad to have you here.

tung

just strum
April 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Welcome Mark,

I'm glad to read you've progressed with the hearing issue. I also want to thank you for using the big font for us that have problems with the smaller font.

Robert
April 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Welcome Mark, I'm not deaf but I have tinnitus I think. Constant noise in my head and I have hard time hearing what people say. Kind of embarrassing, but at least I can hear what I'm playing. It must be terrible to have serious hearing loss, I'm very sorry to hear you do.

oldguy
April 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hi, Mark. I do remember you from 18w when I was modding my Epi Valve Jr.
I think it's great you've overcome the obstacles you have and are still rockin' in the free world!:D Play on, brother.:AOK: