PDA

View Full Version : Digitech RPxx compared to BOSS MExx

ted s
April 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Anyone have experience with both ? Strum comes to mind I think..
I had an RP150, I hated the interface for changing/selecting models. (ended up using it as a trade against my acoustic)
Read some threads on the BOSS ME20/50 and was wondering how the in-the-face compares.
Not a big fan of complicated nested menu type logic for manipulation, a few knobs with dedicated purposes would be something that would sell me on it.

How about it ?

thanks

markb
April 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
There's no amp modeling on the ME20 or ME50 if you were thinking of using them for direct purposes. The ME50 has overdrive and distortion models and a cabinet emulating recording output. The ME20 has generic overdrive types like the smaller Cube amps. The new ME70 has some models and the modeling section neatly reconfigures as a 5 band eq when you turn off the amp voices.

I like my ME50 purely for its interface. The factory settings are pants but it's amazing how quickly you can start with a blank canvas and write your own programmes, it took me about half an hour to fill four banks with the sounds I wanted starting in manual mode and just adding and tweaking effects on the fly.

The ME50 has a slight delay when changing patches. I hear this is gone in the ME70. Again, it's down to you whether this is acceptable. It doesn't bother me as I rarely use more than one effects combo per song. The ME20 has a less immediate editing system (fewer knobs). Try downloading the manuals, I find it helps when making decisions like this.

If you want a complete "rig in a floorboard" setup consider the Boss GT series or the Vox Tonelabs.

just strum
April 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I liked my RP350 as I experimented with finding a sound. Now that I have the ME50 too, I'm not sure if it is the new toy syndrome or now that I have pretty much settled on clean sound, the ME50 gives me the option to tweak it easily and get different variations. I like using the overdrive at times. I actually use all of the setting to some degree.

I am finding it very compatible with the Blackheart and it is the same with the Vjr and Vox. I didn't care for the RP with the Vox, but the other amps it worked just fine.

Oh, and if act fast, Amazon still has one for $220. Considering it was up at $300 not too long ago and I bought mine for $245 a few weeks ago. The ME70 is obviously driving the cost down as stores try to rid themselves of the inventory.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002D0KTG/interactiveda8770-20

wingsdad
April 12th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Another ME50 fan here, and markb's summary comparison of the ME's is :AOK:

I'd just add that IMO, the ME70 cut out about 1/2 the OD/Dist models and many of the other modulation fx the ME50 offers, sticking mainly to its Boss units, dropping competitors' units. But the ME70's 5-band EQ mode is a big plus vs. the ME50's limited choice of preset EQ's of its 'Tone Modify' function.

I've never had an RP unit, just tried them in the store, but I'd had a Digitech Genesis I, a little tabletop amb/cab sim unit with some mod & delay fx, a precursor to their GenX units. Once I decided the only amp 'models' I needed to get what I want were Fender Tweeds or Blackface models, or Vox AC30's, since hi-gain Rectumfryer amps are useless to me, I dumped the aggravation and signal loss of my collection of pedals/pedalboard for the ME50. The pedal-like knob interface vs. scrolling and hunting through cryptic LED or LCD menus is, to me, what seals it.

ted s
April 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I guess all I am really after is some dirt and delay, don't really give a fat rat's a$$ about cab.models (just complicates it for me) I aquired an old Ibanez DDL this weekend. I think that and my Monkey should satisfy.