PDA

View Full Version : VOX Tonelab ST now out

CitizenCain
April 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
VOX has a new version of the Tonelab out now. It looks like a scaled back version of the LE, or a cross between the old desktop Tonelab and the floor models. It seems as if it's in the Digi RP350 market. 33 amp models!

http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/tonelabst/

http://www.voxamps.com/images/tonelab/lg_tonelab_st_front34.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
April 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Pretty cool. I have a desktop Tonelab & use it every day.

It appears to have lost the VR Gain (= Master on AD series amps) and the Presence control.

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Cool! Its about time that they start upgrading the tonelab with the models available in the new VT line

CitizenCain
April 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Pretty cool. I have a desktop Tonelab & use it every day.

It appears to have lost the VR Gain (= Master on AD series amps) and the Presence control.

I was just reading the owner's manual for this. You can d'ld it from the VOX website now. The Treble control acts as the Presence control when you push one of the buttons, I forget which one.

Also, on the Valvetronix Forum they say that the best way to use the VR control on the amps and ToneLabs is to max it out anyway and control the overall volume with the Vol control or power control (on the amps).

I want to try one of these out.

tot_Ou_tard
April 13th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I was just reading the owner's manual for this. You can d'ld it from the VOX website now. The Treble control acts as the Presence control when you push one of the buttons, I forget which one.

Also, on the Valvetronix Forum they say that the best way to use the VR control on the amps and ToneLabs is to max it out anyway and control the overall volume with the Vol control or power control (on the amps).
I want to try one of these out.
Thanks for the info CC. Yes, I usually max out the VR, but sometime I'll roll it back a bit to clean this up when the gain is low.

Kazz
April 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
are the tones out of these similar to what is in the AD30VT?

tot_Ou_tard
April 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM
are the tones out of these similar to what is in the AD30VT?
Yes they are similar, the key difference is that the combos are pushing air through guitar speaker in a cab while the Tonelab uses cab & speaker simulation.

You can turn off the cab sims if you want to run the Tonelab in front of an amp. I've never done that so I don't know how it compares.

Kazz
April 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I was just thinking that this might be able to give me all the things I like about the AD30VT but still keeping my C30. Especially since I found that I really dig the C30 with the Bad Monkey out front.

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I was just thinking that this might be able to give me all the things I like about the AD30VT but still keeping my C30. Especially since I found that I really dig the C30 with the Bad Monkey out front. That'd probably work into the clean channel. I'd poke around on Tonelab sites to see what people say.
You'd get more amp models with the Tonelab.

I just looked at the Tonelab ST manual. You get new boutique models. For example there are models of the Bruno Cowtipper & a Trainwreck.

Another cool thing is that you can turn the amp modeling off so you can use
just the effects in front of an amp or into a computer. You can't do that with the desktop unit (as far as I know).

SuperSwede
April 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Tot, only the cab sim can be turned off (unfortunately) on the desktop tonelab.
I dont like the layout of the new Tonelab, it seems to have less WYSIWYG and more multiple uses knobs which makes it harder to see what setting you got.

tot_Ou_tard
April 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Tot, only the cab sim can be turned off (unfortunately) on the desktop tonelab.
I dont like the layout of the new Tonelab, it seems to have less WYSIWYG and more multiple uses knobs which makes it harder to see what setting you got.
It is a bummer as I'd like to turn off the amp sims, but keep the cab sims or turn them both off.

I agree: less WYSIWYG. The nice thing about the Tonelab is its intuitive ease of use.

SuperSwede
April 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I hope that they decide to upgrade the Tonelab desktop model with the new VT line ampsims AND keep the old layout from the blue desktop model.

tot_Ou_tard
April 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I hope that they decide to upgrade the Tonelab desktop model with the new VT line ampsims AND keep the old layout from the blue desktop model.
:AOK: Good plan. :AOK: