PDA

View Full Version : Tighten tube holder

sumitomo
April 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
On my Blues jr when I turn it up it rattels the output tubes loose can I tighten the holders up,Yea I know sockets,without shockin my butt off.Naturally not plugged in of course.Sumi:D

Spudman
April 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
You might need to locate a Tube Tamer for that amph. Many combo amps develop tube rattles because of the vibration in the chassis from the speaker. Tightening the tube socket probably wont have any effect for your issue.

Some higher quality tubes can often eliminate the problem but being subjected to constant vibration are more prone to start rattling as well. The after market tube tamers seem to get good results. Those are add on units that fasten to the chassis and stabilize the top of the tube and reduce rattle and vibration effect.

If you search the web you can get instructions on how to make one for next to nothing. Just visit your local hardware store.

sumitomo
April 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Your kidding right http://www.ergomed.com/webpages.asp?wpid=14 Sumi:D

Spudman
April 10th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Your kidding right http://www.ergomed.com/webpages.asp?wpid=14 Sumi:D

Those are the best but usually more expensive.;)

Try this (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1679356)too.

sumitomo
April 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM
It has JJ's and a alum. block with springs holding those tubes,after some loud playin it will hum and fart alittle and I have to fiddle with the power tubes to get it to stop I think I need to tighten the socket clips and I hope I don't fry me butt doing so cause I'm gunna use a small dental tool.Sumi :D

Spudman
April 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
If it's farting then try swapping tubes around or just unplug and replug the same tubes back in. It might create better contact in the socket doing so. If the farting doesn't go away you might have a poor tube.

If you hear a rattle on only certain notes then you are probably going to need a tamer if the other suggestion I made doesn't work to get rid of the noise. Tightening the socket seems like a waste of time IMHO.

tunghaichuan
April 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Sumi,

If you do decide to retension the sockets, leave the amp on and unplug it from the wall. Play through it until the sound dies out. Then let it sit unplugged for at least a day. What you are doing is draining the filter caps which store a charge and can give you a nasty, even fatal, shock.

You should pick up an inexpensive digital multimeter in the meantime. Set it to read DC on the highest range. The put the black probe on the metal chassis; even better if it has a hook to clip on to somewhere on the metal chassis. Then use the red probe to touch to all the contacts on the power tube sockets. The amp is safe to work on if there is no voltage present.

Be safe.

tung

sumitomo
April 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Yea I was worried about those caps,I know about them thats why I asked,but I already tightened those loose sockets up(they just felt loose to me) and bingo works great.This amp comes with a tube tamer type thing.I did all the tighting with the only one hand in also,but I was jumpy type scared.Those are cheap sockets they charge way to much for this circuit board amp.But it rocks now!!!! Sumi:D

Spudman
April 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Cool. Glad that you got it figured out.:AOK: