PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with this guy?

oldguy
April 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Premier Guitar quote of the week...........

"Comment of the Week "

“Not me, I want every manufacturer to concentrate HEAVILY on amp modeling because I don't want to carry an amp and cabinet (or combo) everywhere I go. It's enough carrying guitars, pedalboards, microphones, stands, cables, etc, etc, etc. I don't have to carry around an amp for my keyboard and want the same for my guitar. It's straight to P.A. baby, that's the future. Each new generation uses tubes less and less and each modeler will get better and better. After all the guys my age have died off, the end of tubes will come soon after and that's good. I vomit on guitar amps. Keep going manufacturers, you're almost there sound-wise. You still need more work but what I currently have is good enough to never have a guitar amp.”
– HateGuitarAmps, on
Vox’s new amp-
modeling ToneLab ST

What do you all think??????????

Robert
April 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
In some ways, I do. If we can get 100% of what we want tone wise from modeling technology, that would be swell. If they can get there by working harder, go for it.

On the other hand, there's something about a real good tube amp that is very attractive. Old technology, old school but great tone and life span and lots of mojo.

I think both technologies will (have to) co-exist for a long, long time to come.

markb
April 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Well, apart from thinking that vomiting on guitar amps is not a very good idea, the Cube 60 has certainly changed my attitude to modeling amps. But when you get right down to it, it's an amp. Having enough power to be heard over the drummer is kind of useful. Not everyone has the luxury of good monitors.

Spudman
April 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Some people build houses with hand tools and some build them with power tools. I'll work with whatever I have.

As for the comment from that person, to me it seems like he's afraid of hard work. If you want to work you need to haul your tools whatever they may be. Until recently nobody even thought they needed 10 different amphs and 25 pedals at each gig. So why does that have to change now? I feel like there is too much focus on versatility and mimicry and not enough emphasis on personality. Seems like players did fine before with less.

AND...if you are running sound from the stage it's hard as heck to get everything right without a backline. Without a soundman it's tough. When everyone just sets up their amps - balances them with the drums so they can hear each other - then add some vocals to a PA, you are ready to rock. I hate trying to get monitor mixes perfect and FOH perfect and set up the lights and my rig and tune guitars etc. I think it's simpler and quicker to do it the old school way.

sumitomo
April 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Well they will have to make um smell like a tube amph too,before I go that rout.The smell,the hum,the tone,it gets in your blood and when you play with all these elements its magic.They can't replace that! Sumi:D

Rocket
April 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Some people build houses with hand tools and some build them with power tools. I'll work with whatever I have.

As for the comment from that person, to me it seems like he's afraid of hard work. If you want to work you need to haul your tools whatever they may be. Until recently nobody even thought they needed 10 different amphs and 25 pedals at each gig. So why does that have to change now? I feel like there is too much focus on versatility and mimicry and not enough emphasis on personality. Seems like players did fine before with less.

AND...if you are running sound from the stage it's hard as heck to get everything right without a backline. Without a soundman it's tough. When everyone just sets up their amps - balances them with the drums so they can hear each other - then add some vocals to a PA, you are ready to rock. I hate trying to get monitor mixes perfect and FOH perfect and set up the lights and my rig and tune guitars etc. I think it's simpler and quicker to do it the old school way.
Exactly.
The only people with those problems are the one's attempting to recapture someone else's sound. Guitarists that have their own individuation don't have any problem, extra effort, or extra tools to sound like themselves.
Let everyone else struggle to capture YOUR sound!

sumitomo
April 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Rocket that deserves a BIG AMEN!!!! Sumi:D

street music
April 11th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I still have much to learn about playing but I find myself trying out a lot of amphs when I'm in the guitar shops just to see what all these new ones can do.
Yesterday I had went by to leave my new SSH Tele for a nut change and was sotting there talking with ine of the owners . This guy comes in and starts off by saying that he has bought 3 new guitars and has 4 Fender amphs and can't get a good bluesy sound out of any of them. Owner ask do you have a tube amp? No I don't! Owner says well here let me plug this Tele into this VOX VT50 and he proceeds to play some blues and dials in a real soulful sound. The customer says but it's not a Fender and you can't have a blues sound out of a british amp!
Well gang , I just sat back and watched at the other customers who joined in on the discussion as they ask the guy just what he was asking for? You know sometimes it boils down to having a sound of your own ear and no matter how good it sounds to one there is always another who doesn't like it. I can get some great sounds out of my Zoom pedal but it doesn't sound as good as some of these newest modeling amps(to my ears). I want a tube amp but haven't found the one I want to afford as of yet.

sunvalleylaw
April 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I think it would be very convenient to have a "swiss army knife" amp that dials in excellent models of various historical amphs. I don't think that hard work and such a tool would be mutually exclusive necessarily, and it might open doors for an artist varying his/her sound. The multi amp modeler I would design would have a Bassman, a Marshall of some kind, a Twin or other clean Fender, A Vox AC30 or maybe 15, and maybe my C-30 and that would be enough if they really sounded and acted just like those amphs. From there, I could find sounds I liked in each. However, I have yet to see a "Swiss Army" multipurpose style anything that did the job (other than having a multi purpose pocket sized tool for light tasks) as well as the real things. Even knives! A good locking folding blade and a good screw driver are going to beat a swiss army knife every time at their individual tasks. A 9 inch chef's blade, along with a good boning knife with some flex, but not too much, will always trump a folding knife if I am preparing food.

I am no authority, just a wanker really, but when I go and listen to amphs, I get drawn in by good tube amph sounds. The modelers can sound good, but I prefer learning the nuances of one good piece of equipment. I guess that is how you develop your own sound as Rocket and Spud suggest.

So I guess it would be nice if he was right, and one box contained at least a few models that really gave all the sound, nuances and feeling of the amphs it tries to model, but I am not holding my breath, and right now, I have plenty to explore developing some sounds I enjoy with my one tube amph.

tot_Ou_tard
April 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I want a tube amp but haven't found the one I want to afford as of yet.
Jeez, I wish I believed this much in the concept that desire creates the universe. ;)

tunghaichuan
April 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
The thing that concerns me about modeling technology is that it is basically disposable. It is made to be disposable because the technology improves geometrically. And once the old technology is dated, it finds its way into the landfill. There is no money in making modeling technology robust as it becomes outdated too quickly.

What I like about tube amplifier technology is that it is renewable. There are amps from the 1930s that still operate just fine. Of course there are tube amps that are meant to be inexpensive and are cheaply built and meant to be disposable.

tung

just strum
April 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
"It's enough carrying guitars, pedalboards, microphones, stands, cables, etc, etc, etc."

This guy is seems more intent on complaining about adding an amp to the list of things he has to haul? If he has that much of an issue, then he should focus more on hiring a roadie and less on the advancement of modelers.

Personally I like the search for "my sound". I never wanted to find "Clapton's sound" or anyone else's really. My search for sound is within the sounds related to genre. Having pedals, for me just the ME50, and a straight forward amp make the search for sound part of the fun in playing guitar.

I don't really want to intentionally sound like a specific person, however I would not deny wanting to play as good as....

Being primarily a bedroom player, the ease of moving equipment isn't an issue. Plus, what I do have doesn't cause an issue when I do take it over a friends house. My issue is deciding on what guitar to take and I end up taking three or four.

Katastrophe
April 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Modelers are great because they can pack a lot of different tones into a very small, portable package. Modelers are the current hot ticket item, much like rack processors and MIDI systems were in the mid to late 80s.

I like 'em.

HOWEVER, there's something to be said for plugging in, turning a knob or two and wailing away. The learning curve for modelers can be a huge pain in the butt.

Anyone, anyone that thinks they need a zillion different amphs to get "their sound" either doesn't know what "their sound" is, or is just brainwashed by marketing hype.

My "rig" takes all of about 2 minutes to set up, and it ain't that heavy. If complaining about carrying an amph and all the gear is the issue, then that person should just go acoustic and quit b*tching!

markb
April 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
The thing that concerns me about modeling technology is that it is basically disposable. It is made to be disposable because the technology improves geometrically. And once the old technology is dated, it finds its way into the landfill. There is no money in making modeling technology robust as it becomes outdated too quickly.

What I like about tube amplifier technology is that it is renewable. There are amps from the 1930s that still operate just fine. Of course there are tube amps that are meant to be inexpensive and are cheaply built and meant to be disposable.

tung

But, if a modeling amp sounds good today it will keep on sounding good for as long as it lasts. It may be superseded by the "new, improved" model but is still a useful item. I doubt Ibanez thought they were making an inferior product when they replaced the TS808 with the TS9.

The difficulty of repair is what causes the short life of most solid state amps. But then this also true for PCB based valve amps. Bear in mind that valve manufacture is an environmental no-no in most western countries. This is why most valves today are made in former Soviet bloc countries and China. As environmental controls tighten, that manufacture will dry up. Guitarists are not a mass market in realpolitik terms.

hubberjub
April 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Modeling amps have their place. I love my Tone Port for recording demos but I would never use one live in my band. A modeling amp would probably be great if you are in a cover band that does a variety of different styles.

Spudman
April 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Can anyone name a major artist, someone with a signature sound, that uses a modeling amp live?

lurcher
April 12th, 2009, 03:53 AM
So as technology advances we're all to sound the same? No ta.
And when electrics kill off acoustic guitars, we'll all be playing MIK Strats for every sound the manufacturers allow us! This smacks of the sort of evil Sony brought to recorded music (nearly).
BTW I play through a Yale SS slaved into a tube head and 800w 4x12. Like to see anyone replicate that!

Tibernius
April 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Can anyone name a major artist, someone with a signature sound, that uses a modeling amp live?

Closest I can think of is Brad Delson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uo5E6dtyIs

He uses Randall MTS amps, which are tube Pre-Amps based on other amps. So you could have one amp with, say, a Vox AC30 TB, a MESA and a Soldano pre-amp.

Personally I'd rather have a valve (tube) amp. I've yet to hear a modelling amp than can get close to that tone.

hubberjub
April 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM

The only person I can think of is John Bell from Widespread Panic. He uses two Line 6 Vetta combos. He's not really known for having a 'signature sound' though. It's kind of a running joke because I've never really been able to hear him at a show. You can buy t-shirts that say "Turn J.B. up".

marnold
April 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Geddy Lee. Bass->rackmount SansAmp BDDI->PA. I've heard of others too but my mind is not functioning at this point following preaching three sermons in four days.

Of course, major artists can afford anything they want. If they want a zillion amps, they can have them. Most of my favorite guitarists have had more amps than I've had hot dinners--George Lynch being the most notorious. Add to that pedal boards that are big enough to land commercial aircraft on and there ya go. As long as they've got the $$ or the endorsement, there's precious little reason to get a modeling amp. For most people, even most artists, that's simply not possible.

Katastrophe
April 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Weezer did an entire tour using rackmount POD units, direct to the PA, no amphs at all.

Ben Moody, formerly of Evanescence, used Line 6 HD 147 units live.

Ron Thal (Bumblefoot) of Guns N' Roses uses Vettas in his live rig.

Dave Mustaine used a set of prototype Line 6 heads on tour for about a minute.

Plank_Spanker
April 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Adrian Belew - Johnson JM150. But he really doesn't have a "signature" sound.

As far as modeling amps go, I've made extensive use of them of - to get close enough for the covers I'm doing and have my own sound.

Tube amps won't be going away any time soon......................

TS808
April 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Modelers are great because they can pack a lot of different tones into a very small, portable package. Modelers are the current hot ticket item, much like rack processors and MIDI systems were in the mid to late 80s.

I think modeling technology is here to stay though, whether digital or analog.

I think there are some guitarists who simply won't even TRY modeling technology because it's NOT tube.....That being said, I think tubes do sound better, but the digital gear is getting alot better and will give you a pretty good tone.

Companies like Tech 21, Vox, Fender, and Line 6 have done some good work with modeling technology and I think it will continue to develop. Modeling technology is still relatively new so there is a long way to go yet.

Modeling has the advantage of versatility, whereas many tube amps can be one trick ponies. Time will tell.

More and more, alot of pros are trying digital technology. Heck, even Buddy Guy jumped on the Cybertwin wagon for a while.

ZMAN
April 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I liken this whole thing to technological advances. I remember my first computer class in College in 1968. The professor said that the only limit in the size of a component is the distance that an electrical impulse has to travel. When Captain Kirk pulled out his comunicator and talked to the ship through this little hand held flip thing we were incredulous. Now every person on the planet is carrying one that has more storage in it than a whole room of computers ten years ago.
I personally am finding it harder and harder to tell the difference from a model and a real tube amp. (Sorry I just can't say amph).
If I could get a solid state amp that sounded as good as my tubes I would buy it in a second.
But somethings will still stay the same. You need a speaker! I guess the issue is size and weight. Maybe the technology should be going towards a lightweight speaker that sounds as goods as those old boat anchors we love.
A lot of the sweet tones we get are the tubes at breaking point and that should be an easy model. That alone will save 50 or 60 lbs of weight.
I kind of agree with the guy. Like our auto industry. It is time they came up with a better more efficient power plant, than the ones they designed in 1955. Amps today should blow away the old technology.
Funny though yesterday I picked up a radial hot british pedal and it has a tube in it. LOL.

Jipes
April 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Premier Guitar quote of the week...........

What do you all think??????????

Ain't nothing more magic than a guitar directly plugged into a tube amp :dude: Don't need hundred sounds to be expressive in your playing. At least in the music that I love Soul and Blues

pie_man_25
April 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I agree, I have a halfstack (for my bass) that I have to carry EVERYWHERE, not to mention my bass, which has a nice new, heavy, hardshell case, plus the fact that I have to get a double bass (I'm attending university, and they don't teach electric bass), which is much bigger, to reduce the amount of crap one must carry is a good thing.

djmcconnell
April 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Interesting discussion.

Since I come to this discussion as a lifetime piano player, the closest comparison to this is for people who play a grand piano and then use electronic keyboards to play in a band.

Yes, it's a way different sound, but you can choose from hundreds of patches that sound like electric pianos, organs, clavs, strings, etc. They clearly don't sound as good as the original instrument, but in a band mix -- for the right song -- it's going to sound much better than if I just played a Steinway grand all the time. And be more sonically interesting as well.

So for me, there's room for both. As a noob to electric guitars, modeling was a good choice for me from a cost perspective and to have some different sounds to experiment with as I find my way.

TS808
April 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Interesting discussion.

Since I come to this discussion as a lifetime piano player, the closest comparison to this is for people who play a grand piano and then use electronic keyboards to play in a band.

Yes, it's a way different sound, but you can choose from hundreds of patches that sound like electric pianos, organs, clavs, strings, etc. They clearly don't sound as good as the original instrument, but in a band mix -- for the right song -- it's going to sound much better than if I just played a Steinway grand all the time. And be more sonically interesting as well.

So for me, there's room for both. As a noob to electric guitars, modeling was a good choice for me from a cost perspective and to have some different sounds to experiment with as I find my way.

This is actually a good point...look how readily accepted the synthesizer was when it first came out. Plus, alot of us have no problem at all using MIDI to create drums, horns, keyboards or strings on our recording software. Yet, when it comes to guitar amps, us guitarists aren't as adaptive or flexible.

mrmudcat
April 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Tubes tubes for me. as for my t0ne irts mine!

Rocket
April 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Tubes tubes for me. as for my t0ne irts mine!
Same here +1.

Fab4
April 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Yet, when it comes to guitar amps, us guitarists aren't as adaptive or flexible.

Careful. That's a pretty broad generalization.

1) It's a bigger leap in convenience and practicality for a keyboard player to switch from an acoustic piano or a B3/Leslie setup to a synth than it is for a guitarist to switch from a Twin and a Strat to a modeling amp and a Strat. The keyboard player makes his life MUCH easier by using a synth. The guitar player not so much with a modeling amp, unless he's used to bringing multiple amps to a gig.

2) Guitar players ARE experimenting with and using modeling technology. Along with all the pros others have mentioned who are using modeling amps, Steve Winwood swears by his Fender Cybertwins. And how many of you are using Line 6 modeling PEDALS? I am. I've also tried over the years a Rockman, a Yamaha modeling amp, a POD, a GuitarRig computer-based set up and a Zoom modeling pedalboard...and so far I've been hugely disappointed by all of them. I use the Zoom board on theater gigs when we have to generate zero stage volume, and it works kind of okay...but I feel compromised.

3) The interaction between a guitar and tube amp is much more complex than the interaction between fingers and a keyboard (at least for piano sounds; woodwind and brass sounds are a different story), so it takes a much more complex model to create a realistic tube amp performance. So far, the amp modelers aren't there...but they are getting closer. Give it another few generations and I'll bet you'll see lots of tube die hards (like me) happily using modeling amps and such.

BTW: "Amph?" There's no "h" in the word "amplifier." WTF?
"Teleh?" "Strath?" I don't think so...:confused:

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
BTW: "Amph?" There's no "h" in the word "amplifier." WTF?
"Teleh?" "Strath?" I don't think so...:confused:

Better try the forum's search function.:D

wingsdad
April 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I used nothing but Fender and Peavey tube amps (with all due respect ;) I can't bring myself to add an 'h' to the word, either) until I retired from active gig work. I'll agree, there's nothing like the magic you can get from your guitar with a great tube amp.

But, for affordability, simple low-maintenance and the ability to experiment conveniently with a variety of sounds and tones, whether a 'noob' or an old-fart-out-to-pasture hobbyist, modeling amp technology, especially as it's improved & developed in the past 10-15 years, is hard to beat.

I've gone thru a variety of digital modeling units and a couple of modeling amps and they all disappointed me one way or another. I guess I was spoiled by my 'tube years'. The best, though, was a Roland Cube 30; I actually missed it after letting go of it a few years ago, so I found one that got left in the dryer overnite and got renamed the MicroCube. Nice to have for all the right (to me) reasons.

But one that's never let me down is a little analog headphone unit I've had since it first came out in '82, my Scholz R&D Rockman (not to be confused in any way by any of the bogus POS Dunlop renditions of it since Scholz sold it to them). Incredibly versatile and realistic as a DI, particularly for recording. And I did use it thru a house PA, without an amp, at a few club gigs 'way back when'. It's that good.

And then there's my Tech21 Trademark 60. :) The T60 isn't the same 'matrix' modeler that the T21 SansAmp pedals or Trademark 30 and disco'd Trademark 15 employ, using amp and cab sims, that Behringer reverse-engineered about 10 years ago to produce their line of GM amps. The T60's analog modeling is much simpler and straightforward, and so closely emulates tubes it can actually fool a tube freak. Or at least some of those who profess to be.

SuperSwede
April 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Better try the forum's search function.:D

Oh man are we going there again ;)

Fab4
April 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Oh man are we going there again ;)

No, no...I saw the link. "Amph." Ha ha. I get it.

Back away from the inside joke...slowly, quietly...and nobody gets hurt. It's just as afraid of you as you are of it.

Sheeesh. :thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
April 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Back away from the inside joke...slowly, quietly...and nobody gets hurt. It's just as afraid of you as you are of it.

That's a good plan. Pretty soon you'd be shooting sh!t with your guitar buddies & mention that he's got a sweet amph.

As for the original thread question.

What's to agree or disagree with? The guy wants convenience & great tone. So, OK, that's what he wants.

Monkus
April 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM

well said !!

mannydingo
October 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Oh my God, that's me on trial here, ha ha. I was googling WTB(want to buy) ads looking for a buyer for my ToneLab LE. One of the results was a thread on here but I decided to do a general search on ToneLab here. Little did I know I would be quoted. How many times must our words have been topics for other people and we will never, ever know.

Glad to see people being open minded to what I meant. Hey, OldGuy, what's with the signature at the bottom? That's not me. It could have been someone else but when I saw that the person used the same combo amp for keyboard and guitar PLUS the vomit comment, I knew it was me. Ok, I was exaggerating there. I think I was a bit frustrated at the moment. It's not like I really dislike tube amps that much. I just like modellers just fine. Well, really only the ones by Digitech and Vox. The Axe-FX is supposed to be immaculate but at almost $2000 it's prohibitive. I have owned at my home the following:

Boss GT-6
Boss GT-10
Line6 Pod XT Live
Zoom G9.2tt
Vox ToneLab LE
Digitech RP1000

The most digitally bad sounding, to me, was the Boss GT-10 yet it is the most versatile. The ToneLab sound took second place and the Digitech did the best. I've heard the Boss GT-8 sounding pretty good but I've never owned one. I rate them going straight to PA(a mixer to clean power amp to speakers) or a keyboard combo amp in my room. In other words, a completely transparent amp and speaker combination.

Oh, about trying to sound like others. I don't try to sound like everyone else. There's only one sound I would want to emulate and it's that Rockman sound mentioned here already that's on the second Boston album. I also want the sound on the first Boston album but even that old Rockman didn't do that sound exactly and wasn't done with the Rockman on that album. Every other cover song I play, I don't care to sound exactly like the original artist.

For me, the sound has to sound good and not just good tube-wise.

Perfect Stranger
October 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Solid state....tube.....doesn't matter...I still suck! :(

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Solid state....tube.....doesn't matter...I still suck! :(
+1! :rotflmao: But I do find that I sound less bad with some equipment than others!

Plank_Spanker
October 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Modeling amps are getting better by leaps and bounds these days. My Fractal Audio Axe FX has been a godsend for me as far as playing gigs - every sound I need in one box, and it plays and sounds great. It's a great tool for the working musician who needs to command a big pallette of tones / FX. Does it sound / play like a real tube amp? It's very close - close enough to do superlative work live.

The downside to modeling amps is that they require extensive tweaking to dial them in to the player's preference. Some players have the patience to do this, some don't. With most tube amps, you can tweak them in a minute or two and you're ready for the start gate.

Will modeling amps replace tube amps? Not anytime soon. I love my Axe FX, but I also dearly love my Germino. No other amp in the world sounds and plays like it. As long as there are players out there that value the punch, authority and reponsiveness of a tubes, they will be available.

We are witnessing the golden age of amplification. There are amps out there to suit just about any tastes.

sumitomo
October 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I still Love the sound of my cranked tube amphs,but I'm really warming up to the new stuff that's coming out (I think it's great to have more colors on the pallett)and I really am liking the sounds that I can get and you can tweak things to fit your personal tastes which is a major plus!Sumi:D

mannydingo
October 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
We are witnessing the golden age of amplification. There are amps out there to suit just about any tastes.

I agree with that statement. It's also why I think it's starts going downhill for tubes from here. It's currently at its peak. Companies have seen the future where someone who can't afford a Triple Rectifier, Marshall Stack, and whatever name you want to choose for the old tube scenario, can buy this $400 modeler and get the same sound in their bedroom through a keyboard combo amp. Even if it's not the same, a 20 year old will feel like it's the same sound because he's never been on stage with the real thing. Eventually, that same generation will stand in front of the real thing and may even think it sounds about the same or even worse than the simulation because it's not what he's used to.

Check out this link. It's safe to open or download because it may ask you:

http://www.tomcrews.com/gt8/compilation.wmv

It's from a group of guitarists more in my age bracket who grew up with tubes and now strictly play Boss GT-8's and the bassist with a Rockman straight to PA. (Both Guitarists). It's only picked up by a video camera and yet notice how it doesn't sound like that loud, obnoxious mushy sound that the audience usually gets? In the tube amp scenario, usually the guitarist is the only one getting that great sound from a tube amp that he loves. I've heard that mush time and time again in all the concerts I've been to in my lifetime. Some are better than others but not most. I recall having to walk out of a Judas Priest concert running away from that loud, overly distorted junk even though I liked the studio version of the songs.

Yeah, in the studio, the very enjoyable tube sound gets processed to the final recording to what doesn't have that tube feel anymore. Oh, I'm 44 and started playing guitar at 15 with some non-playing in between. I'm actively playing currently.

Plank_Spanker
October 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I agree with that statement. It's also why I think it's starts going downhill for tubes from here. It's currently at its peak. Companies have seen the future where someone who can't afford a Triple Rectifier, Marshall Stack, and whatever name you want to choose for the old tube scenario, can buy this $400 modeler and get the same sound in their bedroom through a keyboard combo amp. Even if it's not the same, a 20 year old will feel like it's the same sound because he's never been on stage with the real thing. Eventually, that same generation will stand in front of the real thing and may even think it sounds about the same or even worse than the simulation because it's not what he's used to.

Check out this link. It's safe to open or download because it may ask you:

http://www.tomcrews.com/gt8/compilation.wmv

It's from a group of guitarists more in my age bracket who grew up with tubes and now strictly play Boss GT-8's and the bassist with a Rockman straight to PA. (Both Guitarists). It's only picked up by a video camera and yet notice how it doesn't sound like that loud, obnoxious mushy sound that the audience usually gets? In the tube amp scenario, usually the guitarist is the only one getting that great sound from a tube amp that he loves. I've heard that mush time and time again in all the concerts I've been to in my lifetime. Some are better than others but not most. I recall having to walk out of a Judas Priest concert running away from that loud, overly distorted junk even though I liked the studio version of the songs.

Yeah, in the studio, the very enjoyable tube sound gets processed to the final recording to what doesn't have that tube feel anymore. Oh, I'm 44 and started playing guitar at 15 with some non-playing in between. I'm actively playing currently.

Good tube amps have always been priced out of most young guns' range, even "back in the day" when I came up scrounging whatever amp I could play. But that never chilled my lust for a proper Marshall amp. When I got a little more established, I bought a few Marshall amps.

Today's young guns have the internet to read what us old dudes post about tube amps. Trust me - they're lusting for them just like I did as a young gun. These players will come up looking for the "good gear" - tubes.

The boutique tube amp market is thriving. It seems like there's a new brand every week.

Modelling technology, while coming around in leaps and bounds, still hasn't nailed the essence of tubes - warmth, punch, touch response, and input reactance.

I hear no death knell sounding for tube amps. They are here to stay.

mannydingo
October 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I hear no death knell sounding for tube amps. They are here to stay.

It's not a death that I'm talking about. Tubes are here to stay but not in the numbers they are today. It's a decline. Yes, it's going to be painfully slow but in 20 years there will not be that lusting after them. I, myself, said they are currently at their summit and that's why there's no death knell so unding for tube amps. In the future it will be more of a choice of guys that want the modelers and those that want the tubes. Eventually, though, tubes will be in the lower percentage. The reason is that there's no way that 20 years from now there won't be a modeler that sounds exactly, if not better, than a tube amp. You will be able to dial in a tube sound that doesn't even exist in a tube amp. It will be a sound that could have been invented in a better sounding tube amp and requiring tubes but is there in a modeler instead.

Not agreeing with that is repeating the same mistakes of the past like "Man Will Never Soar Like The Eagles". Men would say that because they thought it could only happen if man grew wings. He never thought that you could make the wings unattached to you as in airplane wings. Yeah, you could say something like "tubes are the real wings and modelers are the fake airplane wings so it's not as good" yada yada but that would be only not wanting to lose the debate. Not that I, myself, am debating anyone. I'm just trying to shed some amp and cab simulation light. My Digitech RP1000 and GSP1101 don't need anything but a P.A. The ToneLab takes second place for me. Zoom in third.

Plank_Spanker
October 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
It's not a death that I'm talking about. Tubes are here to stay but not in the numbers they are today. It's a decline. Yes, it's going to be painfully slow but in 20 years there will not be that lusting after them. I, myself, said they are currently at their summit and that's why there's no death knell so unding for tube amps. In the future it will be more of a choice of guys that want the modelers and those that want the tubes. Eventually, though, tubes will be in the lower percentage. The reason is that there's no way that 20 years from now there won't be a modeler that sounds exactly, if not better, than a tube amp. You will be able to dial in a tube sound that doesn't even exist in a tube amp. It will be a sound that could have been invented in a better sounding tube amp and requiring tubes but is there in a modeler instead.

Not agreeing with that is repeating the same mistakes of the past like "Man Will Never Soar Like The Eagles". Men would say that because they thought it could only happen if man grew wings. He never thought that you could make the wings unattached to you as in airplane wings. Yeah, you could say something like "tubes are the real wings and modelers are the fake airplane wings so it's not as good" yada yada but that would be only not wanting to lose the debate. Not that I, myself, am debating anyone. I'm just trying to shed some amp and cab simulation light. My Digitech RP1000 and GSP1101 don't need anything but a P.A. The ToneLab takes second place for me. Zoom in third.

As for modellers, you're preaching to the chior to me - I use a Fractal Audio Axe FX processor in my gig rig. Right now, I think the Axe FX is still the pinnacle of modeling, and I'm beyond happy with it..............................but I still love my tube amp.

markb
October 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I was about to post something about the Roland Cubes being the kind of modeler I can understand etc, but I seem to have already done it in the first flush of this thread. Here's a link...

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=129840&postcount=3

Tig
October 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Best I can come up with is Steve Winwood using the Fender Cyber-Twin SE. Oh, it has a tube pre-amp.
He says he really likes it and I noticed he used it on the recent Winwood-Clapton tour.

Tig
October 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Until recently nobody even thought they needed 10 different amphs and 25 pedals at each gig. So why does that have to change now? I feel like there is too much focus on versatility and mimicry and not enough emphasis on personality. Seems like players did fine before with less.

I gotta' agree. While I'd love to pull off Warren Haynes' tones, I'd rather have my own personal touch, no matter what the tone or phrasing.

I can see a cover band wanting to get close to the original sound of the many genres and bands, but I think most listeners like someone's personal interpretation over an exact copy.

It is hard to compare a $400 modeling amp with the incredible quality of say, a Fractal Axe FX (http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html) combined with their Reactor FR amp (http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html) (their tube amp designed for digital guitar systems), for instance.
That is the future of modeling technology, but it's here today.

NWBasser
October 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM

And then what of speakers/cabs?

IMO, speakers and cabs have a significant effect on tone. How effectively can those characteristics be modeled and transmitted to an audience?

I'll admit a fair degree of ignorance here and while I know PA gear works quite well for bass, guitar reproduction is another matter entirely.

Eric
October 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Since this thread is alive and kicking again...

I agree in principle with the author of that quote. It seems silly to me to carry around your mode of amplification (i.e. what makes the sound louder) to places with very advanced sound systems and high-quality amplifiers (i.e. things that make the sound louder), just so that you can get the tone you want.

Is tone important? Heck yes! Are tube amps great? Now that I own one, I can say an emphatic 'yes.' Does it mean that carrying around a tube amp (which is designed to...make the sound louder) will forever be the best option? I hope not.

I don't need a million different models from an emulator -- I just need one that I like. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the one tone has to come from an amp using old technology. If I could get it from my dumpy RP100a, I would take it.

My vision for what I perform with is ultimately this: guitar -> ME-50 or similar for effects -> some kind of amp model/emu -> split to direct-to-house and powered stage monitor. I feel like the thing that makes your sound louder should be only that: transparent amplification. We should be able to do all of the tone stuff before that point, no matter how particular we are.

I hope that one day, we'll get there.

oldguy
October 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Oh my God, that's me on trial here, ha ha. I was googling WTB(want to buy) ads looking for a buyer for my ToneLab LE. One of the results was a thread on here but I decided to do a general search on ToneLab here. Little did I know I would be quoted. How many times must our words have been topics for other people and we will never, ever know.

Glad to see people being open minded to what I meant. Hey, OldGuy, what's with the signature at the bottom? That's not me. It could have been someone else but when I saw that the person used the same combo amp for keyboard and guitar PLUS the vomit comment, I knew it was me. Ok, I was exaggerating there. I think I was a bit frustrated at the moment. It's not like I really dislike tube amps that much. I just like modellers just fine. Well, really only the ones by Digitech and Vox. The Axe-FX is supposed to be immaculate but at almost $2000 it's prohibitive. I have owned at my home the following:

Boss GT-6
Boss GT-10
Line6 Pod XT Live
Zoom G9.2tt
Vox ToneLab LE
Digitech RP1000

The most digitally bad sounding, to me, was the Boss GT-10 yet it is the most versatile. The ToneLab sound took second place and the Digitech did the best. I've heard the Boss GT-8 sounding pretty good but I've never owned one. I rate them going straight to PA(a mixer to clean power amp to speakers) or a keyboard combo amp in my room. In other words, a completely transparent amp and speaker combination.

Oh, about trying to sound like others. I don't try to sound like everyone else. There's only one sound I would want to emulate and it's that Rockman sound mentioned here already that's on the second Boston album. I also want the sound on the first Boston album but even that old Rockman didn't do that sound exactly and wasn't done with the Rockman on that album. Every other cover song I play, I don't care to sound exactly like the original artist.

For me, the sound has to sound good and not just good tube-wise.

Not sure about which signature you refer to, Manny, but I simply copied and pasted the piece. I did so to generate a little conversation here, and you most certainly are not on trial. Having owned both tube amphs and modellers, I think they both have merits that can only be judged on an individual basis.
Glad this thread got kickstarted again, and interested to see where it leads.:AOK

mrmudcat
October 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
wll i did not read otheres posts ..............but tubes for me period .......nuff said...................not open for debate and this id my final post here...........................

spaivxx
October 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I found this thread (and entire forum) by accident reading about modellers. I have used tube amps most of my life, older Mesa' like the Mark III, Mark IV, Triaxis, Studio Pre, etc... as well as other brands such as ADA, Marshall, Rivera, Fender, Peavey, etc...

I love them. Aways will. But after I took many years off from playing, a friend of mine introduced me to the Pod XT, and that device was largely responsible for getting me back into it.

Today I do not use Line 6 gear. i have owned and gigged with the TLSE, Vetta, Pods (all variants up to the X3) GT-8&10, etc... Modellers are great for me for a lot of reasons, convenience being the theme.

One of the bands I play in practices in a small room with electronic drums and either in ear monitors or a set of studio monitors. My modeller makes this possible. I have gigged with modellers both direct to the board and as part of amp/rack setups, and have gotten what I think are some great sounds.

The link below is from a gig a couple of weeks ago, it is a modeller through a power amp and cab. At 2:25 you can hear an approx 10 second bend. I get all the sustain I need from this setup. Morphing feedback, touch response, etc...

BTW, we dont actually know this song, someone tipped us $10 and requested some blues so my bass player looked at me and said "Uh play Red House". His name is Tommy so I call this "Red Tommy's House", he is also the one "singing".

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8214726

@nthony
October 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Just to go slightly off topic...

Has anyone seen the EH 22 watt Power Amp 'pedal' by the way?

A great concept. Never the need to carry a back up amp ever again, just plug this baby into a speaker cabinet and go.

Will it spell the end of tube amplifiaction? No.

Is it a useful and interesting and cheap (RRP c.£79 ) tool? Hell Yes!

And now back on topic. This is the same way I look at modelling amps etc. Useful tools to have in certain settings but will they spell the end for tube amplification? For me no. Definatley not. The mod amps are fun and can help you get out of a rut with certain tones, but I'll always return my 'old' faithful for that reliability and that guarentee of 'pure' tone and the 'real thing'.

Kazz
October 23rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
wll i did not trad otheres posts ..............but tunes for me period .......nuff said...................mot open for denate and this id my final post here...........................

Muddy......are you heavily congested here or what :happy

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
I think, soundwise, modelers are already there.

You can get a POD XT and record on your computer some guitar sounds that sound so good that you'd need a high-end studio mics, recording room and some of the finest tube amps out there to record such a sound, with such clarity etc.

So when it comes to ease of getting the sounds, modelers are already winning and soon will win I'm sure.

BUT and it's a BIG but.

You can't feel a modeler thru a screaming 4x12" stack and hear the crackles and feel the wind flap your pants. And you can't push thru a mix with a smoothed-out modeled sound no matter how it sounds inline or recording.

AND the most important thing to me - when you create an insanely good sound on your pod or whatever, sure it IS good...but you play something a little different, and you have to build another sound for that part. And another for the next part.

So if you use a modeler, you end up using and actually NEEDING 38 different sounds each for a particular use.

But with a simple, responsive tube rig, you only need like 2-3 sounds and they are great for any song with small changes in how you hit the strings etc.

That is my main worry about modelers...they are killing the art of varying you picking angle, power, speed, direction and pick material choices...because with modelers you can sound pretty much the same just strumming the chords than with playing them with your full-right-hand skills. They are, and always will be, too swamped with compression, squeezing and whatnot.

Eric
October 23rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
So if you use a modeler, you end up using and actually NEEDING 38 different sounds each for a particular use.

But with a simple, responsive tube rig, you only need like 2-3 sounds and they are great for any song with small changes in how you hit the strings etc.

That is my main worry about modelers...they are killing the art of varying you picking angle, power, speed, direction and pick material choices...because with modelers you can sound pretty much the same just strumming the chords than with playing them with your full-right-hand skills. They are, and always will be, too swamped with compression, squeezing and whatnot.

I agree with you somewhat on this, but don't you think it will eventually be resolved? Sure, it's tough to simulate all of the dynamics of a tube amp, but to me, that's where the main work remains for the modeling manufacturers.

I'm guessing that they know that it's a shortcoming of the technology currently, so difficult as it may be, I think that will eventually be addressed.

mrmudcat
October 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Muddy......are you heavily congested here or what :happy

yea most likely the meds!!!:french

Edited:

deeaa
October 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
I agree with you somewhat on this, but don't you think it will eventually be resolved? Sure, it's tough to simulate all of the dynamics of a tube amp, but to me, that's where the main work remains for the modeling manufacturers.

I'm guessing that they know that it's a shortcoming of the technology currently, so difficult as it may be, I think that will eventually be addressed.

Yes, I hope and believe so. But it might not be what they ultimately want to do. They may want to provide the best possible sound, not necessarily replicate all the difficulties and such of real amps, as more and more people may not want that, they may simply want the easy-to play versions they've grown accustomed to, and majority rules.

Maybe there will always be some purists. Not just with modelers.

I remember, back in 1989 I played a JCM800 halfstack with a Boss OD with a lot of drive and I thought I played really well. Then I played a buddy's old JMP and it suddenly revelaled all my playing/picking etc. errors mercilessly. I could not get nice clean chord changes or nice neat chords...

oldguy
October 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
BUT and it's a BIG but.

my wife hates when I say that...............

ZMAN
October 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
The person who is quoted is obviously an older person. I am one of those that can remember When everything was tubes including Televsion, radio, and stereo. Phones were hard wired, and things like skype and Web cams were science fiction only seen in 2001 a Space Oddessey, and cell phones were sci fi on Star Trek.
Everything went to transistors, and most of us shelved our tube amps. For some reason though us "older people" accept most of the new technology as being state of the art, but stick with tube amps.
Most of the guitar stores I see lately have very few tube amps and way more ss amps. The kid seem to love them and I don't blame them when it comes to weight and reliability. Not to mention the modellers. I recently bought a Vox Pathfinder to travel with and it is one of the most "tubey" sounding amps I have heard in a long time.
I am sure with the technological advances in the future and the reliance of most of the younger generation on new tech, it will make no sense to carry around an amp. Of course you will get the hold outs, and there will still be tube amp purists but I think the change is inevitable.

NWBasser
October 23rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
My experience with various modelers is that they do a pretty good job of capturing a tube amp sound, but come up short on things like dynamics and phrasing and they seem to mask the inherent tone of the guitar being used to some extent.

I've used different guitars through modeling programs and the distinct tone differences between the guitars seems a bit lost compared to running through a tube amp.

Then again, I'm primarily a bass player and find my Cube 30 modeling amph to work well enough for my occasional guitar playing. The guitarist in my band has a Mesa Tremoverb and a Carvin Legacy and I really get a kick out playing through those!

helliott
October 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Sorry I missed this thread until now. I've had a foot in both camps for a long while. Had one of the first Line 6 amps, still sounds great. Had a Boss ME-90, thought it was fine. Had a POD for a bit, didn't like it. Have a Tone Lab, and like it a lot.
I'm not religious about it, but having tried lots of the Tone Lab in gigs, and comparing to my Mesa Lone Star with a Screamer, Blues Driver and a Crybaby, I have opted to stay tubes for the current project. I also found the modelers didn't project enough. Our band is very loud, thanks to a monster drummer and keyboardist with a full organ and analog keys rig. I just find tubes cut through that wall more effectively than modelers.
The landscape is changing, but an awful lot of younger players still swear by tubes, not just us old farts.