PDA

View Full Version : Petitions...

Kazz
April 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Check out this video. Too bad things like this actually happen.

yi3erdgVVTw

oldguy
April 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Another example of slapping a label on something, making it appear to fit an agenda, and letting the herd mentality run its course. Deception abounds, and the excitable lemmings will leap.:munch:

thearabianmage
April 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I think it's more a testament of the people in question's ability to think for themselves. The lady walked up to them, said 'sign this to ban bad stuff' and they said 'okay.' They didn't seem to question anything. They were told to sign something and they did. I guess this goes back to Oldguy's statement about the herd mentality.

I can't go on much more about this without delving into political matters. . .

Spudman
April 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Just like lemmings I tell ya.
I used to trust my gut first and foremost with just about everything. Then I went to college and they taught me to ask questions first. Maybe if our schools taught people as they are growing up to ask questions first we might have a more informed society. Even Mrs Spud knew what dihydrogen monoxide was.

markb
April 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
This exact joke was done on British tv by Chris Morris years ago. It's not even original.

Kazz
April 12th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Just like lemmings I tell ya.
I used to trust my gut first and foremost with just about everything. Then I went to college and they taught me to ask questions first. Maybe if our schools taught people as they are growing up to ask questions first we might have a more informed society. Even Mrs Spud knew what dihydrogen monoxide was.

Yeah but Mrs. Spud is a smart tater :-)

thearabianmage
April 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
This exact joke was done on British tv by Chris Morris years ago. It's not even original.

Brass Eye was an excellent show (just say no to Cake!), but the importance of the results of this particular experiment still exist. Obviously they edited the video because at least a few people questioned the meaning of 'dihydrogen monoxide', but it's also worth saying that this experiment would have had the same results no matter what country it was performed in.

And in response to Spud's comment - yes, it would be good for everyone to be taught the skill of analysis in grade school, but simple fact is: not everyone is clever enough to be analytical. Some people just follow others. What's worse is that by allowing other people to make your decisions for you (i.e. what's trendy to listen to/wear/speak/do) your mind makes the connection that it doesn't need to work as hard as it should do and practically 'shuts down' - over time - certain areas of your brain. One of those areas would be the area that would control their potential for analysis. As the brain doesn't need to make decisions, it doesn't need to analyse. If the trendy person lives in a safe area, their brain doesn't need to discern between characters more or less likely to do harm to them, which in turn decreases the output of the brain yet more. In the end, you have a being that talks like a human, but acts and lives more like an extinct dodo.

Sad stuff. . .

bigoldron
April 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
The only reason I'd of signed is because of the sweet thang asking for signatures.:D She could sell ice to an Eskimo! :drool:

Seriously though, people will join/sign-up just because somebody tells them they're doing a good thing. Most don't take time to analyze what they're being sold because they're either focused on something else or in just too big a hurry to get wherever they're going. In other words, "just show me where to sign so I can go."

It's kinda funny though, how many "environmentalists" want to stop this or save that, whether it makes sense or not, yet they've never left the city limits...