PDA

View Full Version : Microfone Suggestion

Guitar-Chris
July 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hello!

Suddenly my SM57 Clone ( a very cheap one) sounds very muddy with no hights and not good at all. I will try to change it via the store i bought it, but meanwhile I'm thinking of getting a better one.

Now, perhaps you have a suggestion.

1. A real Shure SM57, that's the one everyone uses, isn't it?
2. A shure PG57, a little bit cheaper, some say it sound as good or even a liitle bit smother than the SM57
3. A AKG D440, not amnufactured anymore, but they sell it out very cheap.

Any other ideas? I need the microfone to mike my Vox AD50VT on stage.

Robert
July 28th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Go with

1. !!

Not very expensive microphone - get one used somewhere.

t_ross33
July 28th, 2006, 09:06 AM
We've been having good luck with Behringer mics. I use a C2 studio compressor mic pointing just at the edge of the speaker cone.

http://www.behringer.com/C-2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Looks like they list for 68 Euro for the pair (not sure if that's a good price in your neck of the woods, but at $70 Canadian, it's pretty good).

If I HAD to pick from the list, I'd go with a Sure SM57.

Trev :cool:

warren0728
July 28th, 2006, 09:33 AM
those behringers don't look bad and two for 65 bucks is cheap. I wonder how much difference i would notice between one of the behringers and the shure for recording at home.

ww

jpfeifer
July 28th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Guitar-Chris,

It all depends on what kind of recording applications you're planning to do. If you are simply looking to record your amplified guitar then I would definitely go with a good dynamic mic like the Sure SM57. These aren't very expensive as microphones go, and they give excellent results for micing a guitar amp.

But, if you're looking to record vocals and/or acoustic guitar then I would reccomend to look for a condenser mic instead. These come in a lots of varieties (small diaphram, large diaphram, etc). These mics also require a power source, typically from either a on-board battery or through phantom power on your mixer. You can find lots of lower-cost condenser mics now but, as a general rule, these will always be more expensive than dynamic mics.

Audio-Technica makes a lot of different condenser mics at various price points. Microphones are a lot like speakers in terms of price though ... you get what you pay for. They are typically the weakest link of any recording setup. Some of the large-diaphram microphones used in major studios can cost as much as $10K each or more. However you can get great results with condenser mics in the $100-300 range.

-- Jim

tremoloman
July 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Skip the Shure!

I recently was recommended giving the Audix OM-2 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-OM2-Microphone?sku=270661) a try by my local music dealer instead of the Shure. I own a Shure mic now but needed more pop. My friend said if I didn't like it he'd swap it out. I've used it at two gigs thus far and it does sound better. The Audix is only $99, American made, and built like a tank.

My lead singer's mic was acting up last night so he used mine most of the gig. He sounded better through it and was impressed by its performance.

If you click the link I posted you will see it's gotten high marks.
I've got no agenda... I just think you should also consider this gem.

Spudman
July 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I'd go for the 51. Of all the gigs I've engineered and seen and played it is always the one on the guitars (or tom toms and snare for that matter). If you can get around to trying some of the other recommendations listed here you might find something else that is good as well. If you do find one you do realize that you are obligated to tell us about it so we can all go buy one.;) GAS at the Fret.

Guitar-Chris
July 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I'd go for the 51. Of all the gigs I've engineered and seen and played it is always the one on the guitars (or tom toms and snare for that matter). If you can get around to trying some of the other recommendations listed here you might find something else that is good as well. If you do find one you do realize that you are obligated to tell us about it so we can all go buy one.;) GAS at the Fret.

51? Ha, ha that's the Squier desease :) Ok, I think, you referring to the SM58.

On Tuesday I'm in Cologne in the Musicstore and will test some of them. After all, I of course will tell you!

t_ross33
July 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM
those behringers don't look bad and two for 65 bucks is cheap. I wonder how much difference i would notice between one of the behringers and the shure for recording at home.

ww

For in-home recording I'd go with this bad boy...a bit more cabbage, but we're finding lots of uses for it. It currently resides in our drummer's kick, it can take a pounding and absolutely kicks you in the chest when run through the PA subs :D

http://http://www.behringer.com/C-3/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Behringer is kinda like the Squier of the sound reinforcement world, cheaper to be sure, but there are gems to be found for reasonable coin.

Guitar-Chris
July 29th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Thank you all for the suggestion. Referring to Behringe, I know this brand, it comes from Germany. Saying "Behringer" in a german internet-forum is like shouting "Yehova" in "Life of brian" :)

Some buy their whole equippement from them, the other think it is trash.

My opinion (as you mentioned): There are good things, better things and worse. And: You have to look at the price.

We have a Behringer power mixer and Behringer subwoofers at the band. For homerecording i have a small Behringer mixer, too. We are satisfied with them.

So i will have a closer look at the mikes, too.

t_ross33
July 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Thank ypu all for the suggestion. Referring to Behringe, I know this brand, it comes from Germany. Saying "Behringer" in a german internet-forum is like shouting "Yehova" in "Life of brian" :)

Some buy their whole equippement from them, the other think it is trash.

My meaning (as you mentioned): There are good things, better things and worse. And: You have a look at the price.

We have a Behringer power mixer and Behringer subwoofers at the band. For homerecording i have a small Behringer mixer, too. We are satisfied with them.

So i will have a closer look at the mikes, too.

ANOTHER MONTY PYTHON FAN!!!!!:D That's too awesome. I LOVE you guys!!! :R

As far as Behringer goes, our keyboard player/sound man/guy-with-the-PA is happy with their products and he's done a lot of road work as a musician and as a soundman. We have a Eurodesk 32 CH mixer, and use various Behringer mics for vocals and instruments, DI-20 DI boxes for acoustic and bass guitars. I have a few effects pedals that seem to be working just fine for me. I've heard that some don't like Behringer because they "rip off" bigger name brands, or that their stuff is sub-standard, but we've been happy (lucky?) with it. :cool: