PDA

View Full Version : How much do you practice?

Robert
April 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Let's hear it?

How much time do you spend on guitar forums per week? :D

ted s
April 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Not enough and is pi$$ing me off.
Maybe I should spend less time reading about guitars and gear.

just strum
April 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I noted 4 to 7, use to be more, but little to show for it. Can't get focused as much as I would like (shiny object syndrome).

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I don't know. I would have answered a few months ago, 4-7 hours. Now I am not so sure that I have not dropped down to 1-3. I will pay attention a little while and find out the truth before I answer. If paying attention makes me practice more, all the better. ;)

tjcurtin1
April 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Not enough and is pi$$ing me off.
Maybe I should spend less time reading about guitars and gear.
Ouch - sounds familiar... BUT, I've been skewing the other way lately. Last week I printed up a practice form to keep track of what I actually do, and so far it has REALLY boosted my practice time. It's a visual finger in my face telling me that I'm being a no-practice bum! It also makes it clear which areas I'm neglecting when I do practice. If someone can tell me how to put the whole doc (35kb doc, 23kb rtf) up here, I'd be happy to do so.

EDIT: I removed the useless text file - see below for PDF attachment.

Robert
April 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Make it into a PDF and upload, Ted. Here is a free PDF Converter (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796&package_id=53473&release_id=674409) you can use.

sumitomo
April 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I actually have been practicing 1 hr per day,I put a T.V. in the music room and bought a few Dvd's and now I have someone to practice with.Its making a difference for me.Sumi:D

ted s
April 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ted, that's sounds like something I would like to see as well, do you have a box.net account ? you could put it there.

Suhnton
April 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I only really pick up a guitar when I go to record something. Recently it has been quite often, but I can go for a week at a time without touching one. Then again, my goal is to improve my songwriting and production ability, and I don't have any aspirations to become a master shredder. If I did, then certainly practice every day is a must I think. The thing is I'm constantly thinking about musical ideas, which for me anyway, has been more productive. Sometimes if I'm working on a new song, I'll put the headphones on and run the song on repeat all night :eek: Needless to say my wife thinks I'm mad.

street music
April 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to get 8 hours or more a week right now, I'm giving up some other hobbies to apply more time to playing guitar. I wonder just how much FRETTERS change which guitar they play??? I have been spending more time on my Takamine acoustic-electric since I'm trying to the do The FRont Porch Picking thing, but I find myself doing time on all 3 electrics also.

TS808
April 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I spend at least an hour a day playing guitar.

Sometimes just noodling around, trying to learn a song, or playing along with backing tracks.

Robert
April 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I get less than an hour per week. Not counting gigs. I wish I had more time to devote to practicing. One day.

tjcurtin1
April 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Make it into a PDF and upload, Ted. Here is a free PDF Converter (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796&package_id=53473&release_id=674409) you can use.
Done - thanks, Robert!

pes_laul
April 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I practice 4-10 hours a day depends on the conditions

Before school I usually play an hour

after school I do my home work and hang with my peeps yo then I practice from about 6:30 to 11:00 (with the occasional breaks in there) and on weekends I usually play with my band and go to the studio when I am at my dads so I dont even know how many hours that is.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hey that's pretty cool Ted! I may use that. Thanks!

Ouch - sounds familiar... BUT, I've been skewing the other way lately. Last week I printed up a practice form to keep track of what I actually do, and so far it has REALLY boosted my practice time. It's a visual finger in my face telling me that I'm being a no-practice bum! It also makes it clear which areas I'm neglecting when I do practice. If someone can tell me how to put the whole doc (35kb doc, 23kb rtf) up here, I'd be happy to do so.

EDIT: I removed the useless text file - see below for PDF attachment.

tyoc
April 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think 4 to 7, but perhaps more... by the way, nice thing that about check what you have been practicing?? (that give me some ideas, personal note :))

tot_Ou_tard
April 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM
At least an hour a day. There will be a day here & there that I can't play & others that I can get in 3 hours or so. It's slow going in any case, but I'm progressing & am happy.

Viking Power
April 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I was doing a SOLID 7 hours or so a week, but I've had to drop down to 1-3 hours a week including my 1 hour lesson in order to focus on finishing a Bachelor's degree. Frustrating, but all in all I'm glad I'm playing guitar even if it is sort of taking a backseat right now.

tyoc
April 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
ammmm...

what we are talking about??

Let's hear it?

How much time do you spend on guitar forums per week?

time for practice guitar (and related)? or time used in enter here and other guitar sites??? :S... reading back, I quite don't get it :S...

ZMAN
April 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I spend way too much time on guitar forums. In the winter I spend more time in my guitar room than in the summer. By practice I am including playing along with CDs and perfecting my skills, learning new songs, and I do spend about 1 or 2 hours a week on actual practice on scales and riffs.
All toll about 8 to 15. I am retired so I have lots of time. I find it very relaxing.

tjcurtin1
April 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Ah Ha! So that's how he does it (did it!)

tyoc
April 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
That is nice!!!, if you have the time go for it !!! :D

Nay
April 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Ahhhh I wish I had the time and motivation. Lately I've been playing a lot more. I'm trying to get at least an hour in each day.

Jimi75
April 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
4-7 hours for me. Of course it depends on how many other things there are to do work and family wise.

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Practically nil during the week, unless work is rained out (like today).
4-6 hours on the weekend usually, if things aren't too hectic.

Brian Krashpad
April 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
One to three, if I'm lucky. I usually have at least one, sometimes two, band practices on Sunday evening, and once a month I have a Saturday morning church band practice. The rock band practices are usually under 2 hours, the church band practices usually an hour.

But just sit and noodle?

Almost never.