PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Overdrive pedal?

Robert
April 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Ibanez TS9, Barber Direct Drive, Fulldrive 2, Cool Cat Drive, etc?

My pick is Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer. :AOK:

It's the yellow babe here below.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_7485063bf9e996.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=517)

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
So far, my Bad Monkey. Such great bang for the buck. But DVM's Rabid Rodent, which is really a distortion pedal, also has a very nice overdrive in it. More transparent, and hotter than the Bad Monkey. Some day, I would like to compare the V.2 overdrive kit DVM is building to the tube screamer specs like Dreadman got. But for now, the Monkey is king.

tunghaichuan
April 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
My favorite:

http://www.bossarea.com/images/OD2.jpg

schenkadere
April 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive...this was a great find. I also like the EPB SRB 808 Plus.

sumitomo
April 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have just a few pedals but this pickup booster is great for OD.Sumi:D

ZMAN
April 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Fulldrive II, and OCD. I use then separately and in tandem. It depends on what I am looking for. NO noise and true bypass, built like a tank.

markb
April 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
(Currently) my favourites are the Cool Cat Drive (I've sold the TOD) and a stock Boss SD-1. They stack really well using the CC first in front of a cleanish amp as a "tweedifier" and the SD-1 to add midrange and gain for the now legendary screaming solos :) .

Kazz
April 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Well I am new to this bus.....so it has to be the Bad Monkey.....but I have serious ambitions for one of those DVM ZYS pedals....

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I go back and forth between TOD and Bad Monkey. If I gig with the TOD I'll probably be able to make up my mind then but I haven't yet.

Tone2TheBone
April 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Hands down it's the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer. It's a TS-808 blessed by the gods and given more power and lucious tone.

Suhnton
April 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Seeing as I only have 1 overdrive pedal it would be THAT one. It's a TS-808 clone that I modded to Bob Keeley specs and added a red LED clipping circuit as well. If I had known earlier, I probably would have done a Landgraff mod on it, they sound really sweet. I haven't actually used it in about 6 months, I wonder if it still works :confused:

R.B. Huckleberry
April 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Fulltone OCD covers my overdrive and distortion needs nicely.

duhvoodooman
April 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
....I haven't actually used it in about 6 months, I wonder if it still works :confused:
Hmmm, I would think that would be an automatic disqualification from "favorite OD pedal" status! ;) :D

Just a comment on the much ballyhooed Landgraff mod: This overhyped mod, based on an incredibly overpriced "boo-teek" pedal, is quite simple and really does just two things--adds switchable asymmetric silicon/LED clipping and punches the available maximum gain up by a factor of about 8.5. The rest of the component changes basically just compensate for the gain boost circuit changes, so that you don't lose all your bass and the low-gain end of the drive control. Seriously, you could take an off-the-shelf TS-9 and about $7 worth of parts and do this mod yourself, if you know what to change. How anybody can sell such a modestly modified TS clone for $400--handmade or not--is just astonishing to me. No argument from me that the pedal sounds good and is of excellent build quality; I just find the pricing ridiculous. But if people are willing to pay that, I guess you can't blame them for pricing it that high. :thwap: :rolleyes:

I have two favorite overdrives: the aforementioned ZYS (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/zys.htm) (though the new BYOC Overdrive 2 gives you exactly the same circuit & tone, minus a couple of the switchable options I include on the ZYS), and the Boss Blues Driver BD2 with the Allums "H2O Plus" mod. The former is the best & most flexible TS-type OD I've heard, and the latter is the best "transparent" OD I've played through. I've never played through a Fulltone OCD, but have heard uniformly positive things about them.

Disraeli
April 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Fulltone OCD or Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9. Both are just fantastic.

sunvalleylaw
April 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Were there any clips ever posted of the BYOC OD 2 posted, built like Dreadman asked (TS808 specs)? I tried to keep an eye out, but did not see any.

duhvoodooman
April 16th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Were there any clips ever posted of the BYOC OD 2 posted, built like Dreadman asked (TS808 specs)? I tried to keep an eye out, but did not see any.
Not that I've seen. I've only built one of those, and Mudcat has it... :poke: :D

Jimi75
April 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM
FULLTONE OCD

I have tested so many od pedals and I was looking for that uncoloured sound that is perfectly controlable with the guitars volume poti. No pedal came close to my idea until I found the OCD was perfect.

The OCD is such a versatile pedal, it delivers transparent overdrive, it gives your cleans that little extra to make them sound great, the OCD also delivers great distortion sounds, not modern metal sounds, but very very creamy classic sounds, plus you have two modes among which you can chose, which is a great feature.

I always wished to have "total control" with the guitar's volume poti and the OCD offered that to me better than any other pedal I have ever played.

:AOK:

Gutmann
April 18th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Paul Crowther's Double Hot Cake - the best overdrive i've ever heard.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/images/products/1297_01.jpg

I set pedal A to a smooth singin' overdrive, B is set to a sparkling, slightly driven cleansound and A into B gives a cutting leadsound.

I like the OCD but prefer it for more distorted sounds Ã* la Foo Fighters.

pes_laul
April 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I used to have a DOD something overdrive that was pretty much the balls but it's not with us today :s but now I really like the bad monkey or maybe a big muff (does that count?)

tunghaichuan
April 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I've got a couple DOD FX50B Overdrive Plus pedals, and I like them quite a bit. They are kind of noisy for an OD pedal, so that disqualifies them as my favorite.

FWIW, the DOD FX51 Juice Box is the earlier version of the Bad Monkey.

tung

I used to have a DOD something overdrive that was pretty much the balls but it's not with us today :s but now I really like the bad monkey or maybe a big muff (does that count?)

marnold
April 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I've been pretty happy with my Behringer TO800. It's been compared pretty favorably to a stock TS-808 by others--not that a Tube Screamer is rocket surgery or anything.

sunvalleylaw
May 4th, 2010, 11:28 PM
So far, my Bad Monkey. Such great bang for the buck. But DVM's Rabid Rodent, which is really a distortion pedal, also has a very nice overdrive in it. More transparent, and hotter than the Bad Monkey. Some day, I would like to compare the V.2 overdrive kit DVM is building to the tube screamer specs like Dreadman got. But for now, the Monkey is king.

The Monkey has been dethroned. It still has a place, but my ZYS Mk.II is the new king by far. It is so nice. Worth every penny! :AOK :AOK

FrankenFretter
May 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I've owned a Bad Monkey, and still own a TS10. I really liked the Monkey, but it didn't seem logical to have two pedals that sounded so much alike. My Tube Screamer was making a funny noise for a while, then I sent it to DVM who did the TS808 mod, and the Asym/Sym + gain mod. It sounded good before, but now it sounds great. Still my favorite, and probably always will be.

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I still really love the Monkey, and for the tiny money I paid for it, it is amazing. It goes now on my second board along with my DS-1. They work great together. The ZYS is another level though.

Matt
May 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I had a Bad Monkey for ages but then started to get annoyed with the mid-hump sound it tries to emulate and so stopped using it for a while except as a boost to a Big Muff I used to use to overcome the Muff's huge mid scoop. I'm fairly happy with my Tech 21 Double Drive again now as it's so versitile and can alter the sonic character of you amp- it can make it sound like an AC30 to a cranked Marshall and everywhere in between.

Also +1 on the BYOC Might Mouse kit, the overdrive half of it is very good

tunghaichuan
May 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I'm fairly happy with my Tech 21 Double Drive again now as it's so versitile and can alter the sonic character of you amp- it can make it sound like an AC30 to a cranked Marshall and everywhere in between.

The Double Drive is a cool pedal. I had one for a while. I could get a great Mesa Boogie Mark series tone out of it through my homebrew 5E3 amp.

deeaa
May 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Marshall Jackhammer (od mode) is my fave for many years now. Truly the jcm 800 sound in a box, quiet, real and well built. retains clarity like no otjer and no fuzz fizz but real od.

These are always taste issues, but I can say I have owned or tested about two dozen ods and jack always wins. might use some other for a while, always get bacm to jackhammer.

With an ss amp hlwever, I had thks dod tubefx100 or something pedal, which was downright incfedible with roland cube for instance. just superb...but didnt work with tube amps.

nickydiaz
May 6th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I agree with Sunvalleylaw. I've played a few overdrive pedals including the Boss Bluesdriver, Digitech preamp overdrive from the 70's (can't remember the model number), Ibanez TubeScreamer plus others. I would love to try the fulltone OCD. So far, I love my Bad Monkey's flexibility and transparency, even though I mostly use a BBE Boosta Grande clean boost to push my EVJ 1/2 stack over the top. Great amp, btw.

Commodore 64
May 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Whats the difference between OD and Distortion pedal?

I have a BYOC Blues Breaker and a Boss BD-2 with the Allum Blues stack mod. I like the Allum modded pedal better.

deeaa
May 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Whats the difference between OD and Distortion pedal?

I have a BYOC Blues Breaker and a Boss BD-2 with the Allum Blues stack mod. I like the Allum modded pedal better.

Often, not much...OD is supposed to give you a range of boost that doesn't entirely change the amps nature, is not fuzzy, just some extra drive and harmonics boost to send an already driven or almost driven amp over the edge, while ds will add a clear square wave sawtooth quality to the sound even at low volumes, i.e. make a clean amp seem like 2 channels.

But the line is often hazy. Seems to me the main variety of od is the TubeScreamer one, which is what most ods sound like. I have had both ts9 and 10 and half a dozen boutique and other ts clones and they all have somewhat the same mid_boost slightly, hm, 'dusty' sound to them, the main difference being akin to taste of coffee, so to say. have more or less mocca or acidity to them :french

Some, like the dano transparent od, give too much of low end rumble, and some concentrate on a sort of top boost - which really is another variety of od.

I like ts type pedals a lot but they always give that mid hump I dislike. My sound preference is closest to AC DC most any era, i.e. early Marshall 2203-4 to JCM800 type sounds. I have owned three different actual amps of those, 2203, 2204, 2210, JMP-1 andd some I forget, and IMo the Jackhammer comes very close to that Marshall cranked sound Without any murkiness. My 36w early marshall bluesbreaker copy turns into exactly like a jcm with it, only even better :-)

hubberjub
May 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
My Lovepedal Eternity has treated me well for the last two years or so. It has a very natural, Voxy tone.

Tarin
May 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Don't know if this counts:
I have a multi-efect pedal (Vox Tonelab ST), and even though it has lots of amps, cabs and stuff... mainly, i use it for the pedal section: no amp, no cab, no effects... just a pedal directly to my Blackheart LG or a Vox 15R.

One of the pedals it emulates is a Klon Centaur overdrive pedal, and that's the one i prefer... and this was before i found out that the original Klon pedals cost around 600 buckaroos.

The Tonelab ST distortions are:
Ibanez Tube Screamer (named Tube OD)
Klon Centaur (named Boutique)
Boss DS-1 (named Orange Dist)
Boss HM-1 (named Metal Dist)
Dallas Fuzz Face (named Fuzz)

So, i never heard before of this Klon pedals and ever since i got the ST, that was the one that stood out for me... i don't have the slightest idea how it compares to the original, and at 600 dollars, maybe i'll never know.

Kestrel
May 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The Boss OD-3 OverDrive has been working out just fine for me so far.

red
May 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Best for what? For lead work, when the guitar sound needs to cut through the mix, nothing beats a good old Ibanez TS 808 type overdrive pedal. There's a reason why that circuit is a classic. I've tried the TS9 version but I could not stomach it. It's got to be 808 specs.

Having said that, I tend to prefer "singer-songwriter" moments of just someone's voice and the guitar, and I find the TS overdrives inappropriate for that application (or for rythm guitar work, generally). So if I'd have to pick only one circuit and be forced to choose to play just one way, the clear winner would be the Way Huge Red Llama circuit. It doesn't boost the mids, it overdrives the full signal (going into fuzz territory), and it's the best solid-state simulation of an overdriven 5F1/5E3 (think Fender Champ / Deluxe) tube amp I've ever heard from a pedal, bar none. So that's "my best".

Unfortunately Way Huge went bust a while ago. The brand name has been bought by Dunlop I think, and they chose to reissue some of the Way Huge pedals, but not the Red Llama, and so the world being what it is you can only get an original WHRL for a handful of hundred dollar bills. BUT, there's still hope, because there are Tonefactor Mule / Mojo Hand Mule pedals still around (also out of production, but still to be found on eBay), the Greedtone boutique OD pedal is apparently based on the Red Llama circuit, there's a also a guy named Steve Liberty that makes a clone called Llama Roja, and for the tecnically inclined there's a dirt-cheap kit available from General Guitar Gadgets.

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately Way Huge went bust a while ago. The brand name has been bought by Dunlop I think, and they chose to reissue some of the Way Huge pedals, but not the Red Llama, and so the world being what it is you can only get an original WHRL for a handful of hundred dollar bills. BUT, there's still hope, because there are Tonefactor Mule / Mojo Hand Mule pedals still around (also out of production, but still to be found on eBay), the Greedtone boutique OD pedal is apparently based on the Red Llama circuit, there's a also a guy named Steve Liberty that makes a clone called Llama Roja, and for the tecnically inclined there's a dirt-cheap kit available from General Guitar Gadgets.
To that last point....

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13160

red
May 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM
To that last point....

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13160
Nice build, I'm glad you like the pedal!
Speaking of tweedy overdrives, I'm thinking maybe I'll build a Professor Tweed sometime soon, ever tried one of those?

http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_professortweed.html

marnold
May 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately Way Huge went bust a while ago. The brand name has been bought by Dunlop I think, and they chose to reissue some of the Way Huge pedals, but not the Red Llama, and so the world being what it is you can only get an original WHRL for a handful of hundred dollar bills.
With Jeorge Tripps back, maybe they will reissue it. They reissued the Aqua Puss after all.

red
May 17th, 2010, 01:30 AM
With Jeorge Tripps back, maybe they will reissue it. They reissued the Aqua Puss after all.
Fingers crossed! I'll be the first in line to buy a couple of 'em.
Here's how the name Red Llama came about: "The Red Llama came from Monty Python’s Holy Grail. Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones shared a directing credit with 6 Venezuelan Red Llamas, and I thought it was funny." (source: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Mar/Jeorge_Tripps_The_Mind_Behind_Way_Huge.aspx).

duhvoodooman
May 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Speaking of tweedy overdrives, I'm thinking maybe I'll build a Professor Tweed sometime soon, ever tried one of those?
No, haven't tried any of the OLC kits....yet! :D

red
May 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Aw, you got me started and I emailed Dunlop, here's their reply:

"Thank you for your email. The next Way Huge pedal we will be releasing this summer is the Green Rhino. We do not have any other information regarding new Way Huge pedals that will be added to the current line. Please check back in 6-12 months."

So, sadly, they aren't planning on reissuing the Red Llama, at least definitely not sooner than 6 months from now. Damn.

red
May 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
No, haven't tried any of the OLC kits....yet! :D
Hahaha, please don't forget to keep us posted when you do :).

marnold
May 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Re: the name

I'm always a big fan of obscure Monty Python references, to the chagrin of most everyone else around me.

duhvoodooman
May 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Re: the name

I'm always a big fan of obscure Monty Python references, to the chagrin of most everyone else around me.
So if I name a pedal "The Shrubbery", will ya buy one, Rev??

red
May 18th, 2010, 12:46 AM
So if I name a pedal "The Shrubbery", will ya buy one, Rev??
The Drive That Says 'Ni!' :D

sunvalleylaw
May 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
The Drive That Says 'Ni!' :D I heard there was a delay feature so it goes:
NiNiNiNiNiNiNiNiNiNiNi. . . . .

Distortion to suit. It also launches barnyard animals, and has a taunts repeats feature.

deeaa
May 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah and delay speed simply MUST go all the way up to African swallow...

red
May 19th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Definitely coconut-based.

marnold
May 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
The Pedal That Goes Ni! . . . Ni! . . . Ni! Love it.

I suppose "The Shrubbery" would have to be a fuzz, eh?

gregsguitars
May 20th, 2010, 05:11 AM
The "Hoochee Mama" by Tim Brown, @ Browntone electronics.

M29
May 20th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I like Voods ZYS MkII.
While I was looking for a distortion pedal I picked up a Marshall Jackhammer OD/Distortion and found it to be an excellent distortion and overdrive combined. This pedal is a sleeper IMHO.

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM
While I was looking for a distortion pedal I picked up a Marshall Jackhammer OD/Distortion and found it to be an excellent distortion and overdrive combined. This pedal is a sleeper IMHO.
Yeah I found one on ebay a while back too. I definitely do not like the distortion on it, but the OD into a clean amp seems to be good, better than a Bad Monkey anyway. It's loaned out right now.

M29
May 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Eric,
What don't you like about the distortion side of this pedal? I actually like it but I have read many who don't. Just curious.

M

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Eric,
What don't you like about the distortion side of this pedal? I actually like it but I have read many who don't. Just curious.

M
IIRC, it has a lot of high-end fizz and not much muscle to it, kind of the tinny, fizzy, faux-metal sound you get sometimes when trying to imitate a very distorted amp. I guess I like a bit more low-end to beef it up if you're going to go in that direction.

If I had it and a guitar on hand I could give you a better description, but that's what I remember -- just too thrashy to be very effective in the distortion mode.

M29
May 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Wow that is odd. What I like about the pedal is that it does not sound like that. I don't like fizzy distortion pedals. I like a beefy distortion pedal with a full range of chunkin bass. Maybe someone has modded my pedal.

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Wow that is odd. What I like about the pedal is that it does not sound like that. I don't like fizzy distortion pedals. I like a beefy distortion pedal with a full range of chunkin bass. Maybe someone has modded my pedal.
I don't have much faith in my ability to tweak appropriately to produce very good tones, so it's more than possible that it's that. What sort of settings do you use? Do you use it with tube amps or SS? Already driven or clean? I'll give it a whirl when I get it back eventually, so it would be good to know how you use it.

I find that actually owning the pedal is only part of the tone equation -- you need to know how to use it too setting-wise, which is still a pretty weak point for me.

Spudman
May 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
The "Hoochee Mama" by Tim Brown, @ Browntone electronics.

Those are amazing pedals...but they'd better be for the price. Yikes!

gregsguitars
May 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
They beat out every pedal made ,including the "Page " pedal in a blind test two years ago, It so happens that he is my uncle and he stays so far behind order wise (he builds one at a time by hand with only the best components) that I have yet to receive any other that my first pedal years ago...Although he is presently making me a custom five in one long pedal with each effect being able to be placed anywhere in the series chain I wish and independently controlled..Echo,chorus, octave splitter,sustain and overdrive. Greg.

vroomery
May 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM
I haven't owned a ton of pedals. So far I've been through:

non moded DS-1
FullDrive 2 (non-mosfet)
TS-808 from general guitar gadgets (including all mods except mosfet)
and my two day old BYOC OD2 Mosfet.

I've also played around with:
Fulltone OCD
Lovepedal Eternity
LovePedal COT 50

I like most of em but the versatility of the OD2 is blowing me away. It's pretty similar to the TS from GGG which means I can dial up one for rhythm and one for lead. The opamp in the GGG TS is the JRC which is a bit more warm and the OD2 has the BS170 so it's a little more cutting for lead. The cool thing though is that the OD2 opamp is socketed so I could throw the JRC in there and use it for rhythm if I wanted to. I can't wait to explore this thing some more.

guitardragon
August 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Another vote for the Fulltone OCD. I couldn't be happier. Great pedal and the only effects pedal I use except for a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah pedal and a Morley Volume Plus pedal.

__________________________________________________ _______

’04 Fender CS ’56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold
'10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat
'07 Fender CS Vintage Heavy Relic HB Tele
'03 Gibson ES-345 RI
’03 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst)
Schecter California Custom Hellcat
Squier Bullet/Seymour Duncan HB/LockingTuners
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic
Hohner ECA 612 12-String Acoustic

sunvalleylaw
August 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I haven't owned a ton of pedals. So far I've been through:

I like most of em but the versatility of the OD2 is blowing me away. It's pretty similar to the TS from GGG which means I can dial up one for rhythm and one for lead. The opamp in the GGG TS is the JRC which is a bit more warm and the OD2 has the BS170 so it's a little more cutting for lead. The cool thing though is that the OD2 opamp is socketed so I could throw the JRC in there and use it for rhythm if I wanted to. I can't wait to explore this thing some more.

I was just thinking of this thread the other night, as I enjoyed my Zonkin Yellow Screamer. The ZYS that Duhvoodooman built for me is based off that pedal, with a bunch of extras thrown in, and a boost circuit as well. It is really just so nice. I really enjoy setting a bit of boost, for rhythm, and kicking on the OD for lead. Very fun!

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Nady TD-1 tube OD pedal:
http://dirtbox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Nady-TD-1-Tube-Distortion.jpg

It's like the poor man's Tonebone Classic. Same tone.

Kazz
August 20th, 2010, 04:31 AM
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/4/3/570343.jpg

For this week anyway

DeanEVO_Dude
September 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I feel the need, the need to chime in here. I, just today, made a trade for a pair of Epi Alnico Classics (57CH(G)) pickups for a DigiTech Bad Monkey, and right now, it is one of the best sounding overdrive pedals that I have ever used. Very articulate, even with the gain and level full up. I feed it into my Fallen Angel 40, set on the clean channel with the gain up all the way (not very clean!), turn the Gain knob on the Monkey all the way down, Level all the way up, Low at 12 o'clock, High at 11 or 1:30, gives me a nice boosted, preamp distortion, crunch sound! I love it! And, when the Gain is cranked, sweet mother may I!! Watch out! It also does equally well on my modded Crate V5! I guess that I am just a "mid-hump" kind of guy... LOL
Between this pedal and The Rat (II), does life get any better?

Cheers!

DeanEVO_Dude
September 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Nady TD-1 tube OD pedal:
http://dirtbox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Nady-TD-1-Tube-Distortion.jpg

It's like the poor man's Tonebone Classic. Same tone.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a Tonebone... that Nady is sweet! Gotta look that one up! Thanks, Bloozcat.

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I feel the need, the need to chime in here. I, just today, made a trade for a pair of Epi Alnico Classics (57CH(G)) pickups for a DigiTech Bad Monkey, and right now, it is one of the best sounding overdrive pedals that I have ever used. Very articulate, even with the gain and level full up. I feed it into my Fallen Angel 40, set on the clean channel with the gain up all the way (not very clean!), turn the Gain knob on the Monkey all the way down, Level all the way up, Low at 12 o'clock, High at 11 or 1:30, gives me a nice boosted, preamp distortion, crunch sound! I love it! And, when the Gain is cranked, sweet mother may I!! Watch out! It also does equally well on my modded Crate V5! I guess that I am just a "mid-hump" kind of guy... LOL
Between this pedal and The Rat (II), does life get any better?

Cheers!

I like my Bad Monkey too. Very nice pedal. Not quite as clean, articulate or versatile as my ZYS, but still a very worthy pedal I will not get rid of. Best bang for the buck pedal I can think of really, especially used at around $25 to $35 shipped.

Maybe the Rat is the same thing. I got DVM's Rat clone (Rabid Rodent), and between the ZYS and Rodent, it seems anything is possible.

deeaa
September 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Everybody and their pets recommend the Bad Monkey, I guess I need to try one just for testing purposes if not else.

I've just never had a Digitech pedal I liked, so I don't expect miracles.

markb
September 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
The Bad Monkey's just a Tube Screamer variant with a more versatile eq that allows you to tune out some of the hump, Dee. You have to like screamers in the first place.

deeaa
September 5th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Oh, I see...then I don't know. I do like screamers too, but they don't work so well with my current gear. Used a TS-10 for a loooong time, though, and after that went thru about a dozen of 'em I think, but yeah, they're too 'hairy' for me now, I like the 'purity' of the Jackhammer. Hmm...thanks for the heads-up, I don't think I'll actively look for one, but if I come accross one for like a twenty I'll grab one just for testing. Might work with the Vox amp at least, if not to replace the Vox as my second OD.

Also, I don't know if I'd like to part with the Vox (distortion booster)...it sounds marvellous, really gives the sounds some extra scream and shrieks, BUT it is also rather a noisy one.

6stringdrug
September 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I have 2 on my board, Ibanez ts9 and ts808 reissue. I use the 808 for my standard OD and the ts9 for really overdriven stuff. when used together it is a loud dirty oversaturated sound. My bandmates call it the koolaid tone, cuz it sounds sweet, like koolaid with about 2 pounds of sugar!!!! I also have a blues driver, really nice tones, I use that sparingly when I'm jamming by myself or playing an acoustic set. I really dig the tone of the boss paired with my acoustasonic and a boss ch1. I really havent looked into trying any others cuz these just seem to fit like a worn in pair of boxers!

Perfect Stranger
September 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I use my MXR Classic Overdrive with the internal set to FAT!

http://i54.tinypic.com/mhqj9.jpg