PDA

View Full Version : Post Gig thoughts and Pics

Lev
April 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Did two gigs this weekend (my first with my new Band - 'The Lemons'), Huge contrast between the two, the first on Saturday was a paid gig in a local pub, I wasn't happy with either my playing or my sound. The pub was maybe half full and there was only a few people really listening to us. Those that listened said it was great and we got some good feedback at the end. But it is tough playing to a crowd where you know a lot of them couldn't care less. The gig last night was a whole different ball game, it was a tribute night for the bands former guitarist who passed away a couple of years ago. There were 5 bands playing and we went on last. By the time we went on there was a great crowd and they were really appreciative and supportive. We did about 40 mins and had to go back on for an encore, it was a real buzz to play in that atmosphere.

I've learned lots more about playing live, it really is a different ball game and requires quite a different approach. When I sit down at home to play I always focus on the subtleties and nuances of both my playing and my tone but when playing to a crowd that kinda goes out the window to some extent. Every venue is different and my amp sounds different depending on the floors/walls in the venue, the size of the room etc. You get maybe 20mins to make the best of what you got and get a usable tone balanced with the drums and vocals. It's then all about getting the songs across to the audience as best you can, I think Joe Bonamassa said once that one of his strengths as a guitarist is covering up his weaknesses and this is kinda how I've been approaching playing out.

A couple of key things that I learned about my equipment
- leave some air around the back of your amp, for the first gig I had my amp sitting on a seat which had a foam bottom and back. I think it absorbed some of the bass frequencies coz my tone was really treble heavy. I rectified this last night and sounded much better.
- Abalone fret markers on rosewood finger boards disappear in low light - not sure how I can get around this as I love my strat to death but I was having real problems see where I was on the neck.

Anyway it's both hard work and a lot of fun, here's a couple of pics from last nights gig (....oh and I need to learn to look up some more).

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/lemons/fergsgig094.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/plevins/lemons/goodpicgigging.jpg

Brian Krashpad
April 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Cool pics.

Looks a mite cramped though.

Robert
April 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Way to go, looks like you had fun! I know what you mean about the fret markers - I've had that happen too and it's terrible when you cannot see them. I never knew I needed them that much until I couldn't see them! :eek:

Lev
April 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Cool pics.

Looks a mite cramped though.
Indeed, it's actually a big bar but they had us squashed in the corner. With 5 bands playing there was gear eveywhere.

sunvalleylaw
April 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Sounds fun! Thanks for the report and pics.

Plank_Spanker
April 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Good observations, Lev.

Playing live is indeed an entirely different beast - a lot of variables that will keep you thinking on your feet and working it out on the fly. As you've seen, it's tough to get fired up when the room is indifferent, but such is life when you play gigs. Not all of them will set your hair on fire. :D

I live to perform live. When it all comes together, it's an experience and rush that few people will experience.................an evening of living and thriving on the edge.

May you slay at every gig you play................:dude: