PDA

View Full Version : Slowly getting the hang of DAWs

Suhnton
April 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I've been slowly learning the ropes and trying new things recording-wise. I made the change to REAPER recently, and must admit it really is a fine piece of software. I've managed to put together a few songs and rather than have them gather dust on my hard drive, thought I'd post them here. Actually, I'll post the link to one in this thread, and create another thread each for the other two.

Lovers Tonight
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=923745&songID=7517676

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM
There is a learning curve for sure. The more time you spend with it the easier it gets. Even still, there is a lot to learn.

Suhnton
April 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I guess that's the exciting part about it, finding something new each time. Then again, that sentiment is applicable in all facets of "life".
What I do have to learn most though, is when to stop. I've probably used up a lot of time pushing for just that little bit more, and in the end ruined some not too bad mixes.

aeolian
April 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Nice song, and very good recording.

I tend to spend a lot of time tweaking my mixes too. I do save a copy if I were to do something drastic just so I can revert and undo an experiment gone wrong.

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I've probably used up a lot of time pushing for just that little bit more, and in the end ruined some not too bad mixes.

Make a copy of your original and work on it. If it gets too tweaked make another copy of the original and work on it. Repeat as necessary. Be sure to delete your older files after you decide to not keep them. They take up a lot of hard drive space.

I like the song too. What did you use for drums?

Suhnton
April 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Drums were EZDrummer VSTi.

Suhnton
April 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Nice song, and very good recording.

I tend to spend a lot of time tweaking my mixes too. I do save a copy if I were to do something drastic just so I can revert and undo an experiment gone wrong.

Thanks guys.
I usually save files as separate copies (e.g ABC I, ABC II, ABC III) but sometimes I forget to do so and just click the save button - usually when I'm in a hurry and worried about the program crashing, which has happened on occassion when using Sony MS :mad:

oldguy
April 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Good job, Suhnton!:bravo:

Suhnton
April 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks very much oldguy!:)