PDA

View Full Version : Songs that feature the Fender Bass VI?

tremoloman
July 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I decided to start a database that lists all the songs commercially available that feature the Bass VI. As any Cure fan knows, Robert Smith uses the VI on at least 25% of all of his songs. I'm going to begin my list by going through the Cure catalog.

If you know if a song that puts the VI please post its name, artist, and album title here and I'll give you credit for your submisstion(s).

Thanks guys n' gals!

SuperSwede
July 29th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Here is some info I found on wikipedia.

The most famous exponent remains legendary bassist Jack Bruce of Cream. John Entwistle of The Who also played one briefly in the early '60's. Eric Haydock of The Hollies is another famous Fender Bass VI user.
A Fender VI can also be seen on Beatles' videos for "Hey Jude", "Let it Be", and "The Long and Winding Road". It was played by both George Harrison ("Hey Jude"- though Paul McCartney played bass on the single version) and John Lennon ("Let It Be", "The Long and Winding Road") when the band's bass player, McCartney, played piano.
Peter Green made extensive use of the Fender VI as a solo instrument during his live performances of 'The Green Manalishi' with Fleetwood Mac from 1969-1970, and also as a session musician with Duster Bennett (AKA 'Peter Blue') and Peter Bardens, among others.
Years later, the Fender VI was embraced by Robert Smith from The Cure. Originally a guitarist, Smith uses the Fender VI as a lead instrument, playing phrases and even chords on it. The Fender VI can be heard on songs such as "Pictures of You" and "Lullaby".
Jet Harris used a Fender Bass VI as a solo instrument on a string of British instrumental singles like "Besame Mucho" in 1962. It was also used as lead instrument on the hit record "Scarlet O'Hara" by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan in 1963.
Rick Danko of The Band made use of a white Bass VI while backing Ronnie Hawkins in The Hawks, though by the time the Hawks were with Bob Dylan, Danko had switched to a Fender Jazz Bass
It was also used by Saul Davies of the band James, as a lead instrument (visible in the concert video "Getting Away With It" on the songs "Someone's Got It In For Me," "Getting Away With It," and "Vervacious"), and Stefan Olsdal of Placebo. Mark Hoppus from blink-182 also used a Fender VI on their untitled CD. During the infamous "Don't touch it" scene of Spinal Tap Nigel's extremely special guitar is actually an original foam green Fender VI.
It is the only bass John Lowery plays on his solo works (though guest musicians often play their own).

Iago
July 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM
i think that all the "Fresh Cream" album was don with the Bass VI...
the English band Placebo (I dont know in USA, but in Brazil they`re really famous) uses them quite a lot too, I went to their concert in my town and could see some Bass IV action hehehe

ps. Oh I just saw that SSwede mentioned Stefan from Placebo... not only him, but Brian Molko also plays one (they had a sherwood green and a fiesta red)

LowEndWonder
December 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Early Cream, and Helter Skelter by The Beatles

Zip
October 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM
May be a scum-sucking spambot, but it raised an interesting thread :)

(yeah, you can delete this too ;))

markb
October 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Wikipedia to the rescue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Bass_VI.

Although I already knew about Carol Kaye's excellent solos on Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman and Galveston, either of which are well worth the dollar you'll pay for a vinyl copy of his greatest hits at the op shop.